Forum Index > Trail Talk > urban wildlife
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 7:54 am 
We took a walk near the Center for Urban Horticulture yesterday and walked around UW. I was amazed to see a black tail deer browsing on the trail near Union Bay. How did it get there? Do you know of unusual wildlife in your area? confused.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 7:59 am 
ozzy
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 8:16 am 
lookout bob wrote:
How did it get there?
Hmmmm....After thinking about this question for quite some time & scouring the internet for clues, I'm going to say with confidence that it "walked" there. Although it could've used walking, running and swimming in combinations ( so I've been told ) Or it could've been born there. Seriously though. About 4 years before leaving Kirkland, we stated noticing rabbits in the neighborhood. Population started increasing every year. Then we started noticing more coyotes and even some Bobcats. My thought was like yours. Where are these rabbits coming from. Seemed like such a odd place for rabbits. Maybe they were always there. Spent a little more than 30 years in that house and hadn't seen them until our few final years there. Interestingly enough, once the spike in development happened, we started noticing the rabbits as more habitat was cleared for homes. I bet that deer has been hanging around alot longer than most would think. They don't need a very big green belt to be happy

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 10:08 am 
I have noticed during the last several weeks that I'm getting some songbirds coming in to the yard to work at the feeder: House Finch; Common Sparrow; Black-capped Chickadee, Nuthatch, Western Scrub Jay; Northwestern Crow; Mourning Dove. A Pileated Woodpecker is working on a Douglas Fir two houses down. The Terns stay high - they don't land here. Deer are a nuisance here - they're everywhere north of 6th Avenue. Other critters include Raccoons, Virginia Opossums; Eastern Gray Squirrel; Snowshoe Hare; Coyote. There are a few Douglas Squirrels down in the Park - they seem to stay down there (more out toward the point.) I have heard reports somebody turned some turkeys loose around here. If that's true, it was a dumb move - drivers out here will put a quick end to them.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 10:32 am 
There are deer in Discovery Park now too. Of course there have long been coyotes and the occasional bear or cougar but I can't remember deer in our Seattle parks before. The zoo's Urban Carnivore Spotter is fun to look at. Deer aren't included of course. https://carnivorespotter.org/

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 10:35 am 
Last week at our house

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Cyclopath, RichP
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 11:45 am 
^ One of my sisters lives toward the south end of Fox Island. Several years ago, they had a Black Bear in their back yard - playing on the swing set. I recall there was a great deal of speculation as to how it got to the island (as though bears were foreign invaders or something along that line.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 2:33 pm 
I was almsot home after the lame northern light show. In Crown Hill two healthy coyotes are hunting rabits amunst parked cars. I was like "is that a dog?" lol.gif "Wait, is that bunny bleeding?" frown.gif Nature within city limits.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 3:12 pm 
Pixie caught a mole, two snek, a family of bunnies, and a birb. No squirrels lately. Snowy treed a raccoon.