Forum Index > Gear Talk > Katadyn BeFree, MSR TrailShot, Sawyer Mini water filter comparisons
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 7:54 pm 
HitTheTrail, are you still getting foam since 2017? I'd switch systems.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Dec 24, 2019 7:34 am 
The Katadhn BeFree replacement filter is on sale at REI for $18.70. I usually get a new one every season just because it is an important piece of gear and costs about the same as what I pay for a bottle of wine. I use last year's filter as a backup.
Bernardo wrote:
HitTheTrail, are you still getting foam since 2017? I'd switch systems.
The gear bloggers are saying to fill the seeker with water and a lemon juice solution and freeze it and the foam issue will probably diminish. I am going to try that, but then get a new bag if the problem still persists.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 9:28 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
I am a big fan of the BeFree filter due to design, ease of use and flow rate. I combine it with a Hydrapak Seeker (which has the advantage of making sizes big enough for camp water storage).
I too am a big fan of the BeFree filter. I use it in combination with the CNOC Vecto 42mm water bladder. The wide opening of the Vecto makes it easy to gather water. I used it for 435 miles of the Oregon PCT as well as my other local trips. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 am 
My hiking partner has a Katydyn BeFree filter, the lightweight design and especially the flow rate is amazing, probably 10 times the flow of a Sawyer Squeeze mini, I ordered one today.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.