Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mystery Traverse; Baker River to Ross Lake, July 23-29.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bronco

Bronco
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 1:50 pm 
Nice work Steve, looks like (mostly) a fun time! Thanks for posting some pics -

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
canadug

canadug
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 2:31 pm 
Most Xcellent. Great looking journey.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 4:35 pm 
up.gif This looks amazing. Thank you for posting your TR.

silence

silence
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 5:08 pm 
Awesome ... never heard of this traverse ... thanks for posting. Your TR is most informative and your photos most excellent! up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
JasonG

JasonG
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 8:37 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Sounds like you used the same gully Sean and I did in 2008 to descend Crowder.
Well, based on the description on your 2008 TR I don't think so? We were trying to figure out which gully you used since you said you descended it to the glacier. The only couple we saw looked terrible and were a bit below the summit of Crowder. The one we used was pretty far west and ~1300' below the summit. It didn't put us anywhere near the glacier on the north side of Crowder, we were well below it. It was quite a trip, that's for sure! I have to say that your couple trips in there over the years were definitely an inspiration. I think only like 4-5 parties have traveled thru since the 80's? Hard to say for sure since you wouldn't necessarily sign in to the registers on Pioneer, Mystery, etc. Oh, and the nice register box on Pioneer has been hit by lightning, blowing the hinge apart. It's a mess inside and there is no way to seal it. A shame.

<><
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 8:42 pm 
My dad had that register made as a memorial to Cliff Lawson, so it is definitely a shame. I will talk to my dad about having a new memorial register made and will bring it up there in the future. The gully we used was about 600' below the summit if I recall correctly at an obvious notch. It was a really steep snow gully (~60 degrees) and it allowed us to contour around the N side of Crowder on steep heather and brush. We did not pop out of that gully on the glacier itself, we were above it by a few hundred feet. We also had to make a rappel in the trees to get down to it. Again, awesome trip. I am psyched someone else went in there and got after it!

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:17 pm 
Good adventure, and spectacular photos!
trent wrote:
Climbed Crowder (cl. 2), descended back to camp, and traversed around the north side of Crowder. This involved descending a 40-50 degree snow gully on the west ridge of the peak at about 5680 that let us down to a traverse around the north side of the peak. Traversed over two snow gullies, then descended a forested rib until we were able to descend to the north at 5200 to the snowfield north of the peak. The traverse and descent were steep but manageable. We got our beta from Crowder and Tabor's book "Routes and Rocks in the Mt. Challenger Quadrangle", and by looking at GE and pictures. We side-hilled to Pickell Pass, sometimes referred to as Pickett Pass, and camped there.
In August 1967 Dwight Crowder, E.K. Ragsdale, and I were possibly the first climbers to approach the Pickets via Pioneer Ridge. We also started at Baker River and on our second day left the ridge using that super steep, loose gully you mention. It was snowfree, which I think made it scarier ( we didn't have helmets in those days, either). We camped at the base of a long snowslope/couloir beneath the south side of Phantom, which we climbed on the third day. Rowland Tabor, NeeIy Bostick, and John Harbuck joined us, having come in from Easy Ridge, Perfect Impass, and the Challenger Glacier. We traversed over to the Southern Pickets and exited via the Elephant Butte High Route, which we had to figure out in the rain and fog. (Rowland and Dwight didn't have their book to refer to then wink.gif ). It is wonderful to know that adventures are still to be had by the adventurous! edit, added from Jason's post: "The only couple we saw looked terrible and were a bit below the summit of Crowder. The one we used was pretty far west and ~1300' below the summit. It didn't put us anywhere near the glacier on the north side of Crowder, we were well below it." I'm quite sure that's the gully we descended to exit Pioneer Ridge. It is key. We didn't go all the way to Mt. Crowder, as it wasn't named yet. (Dwight was tragically killed a few years later when hit by a car while he was bicycling. frown.gif ). I think Mt. Crowder was named Brownie or something previously. Renaming it in his honor is a fitting tribute to his pioneering along Pioneer Ridge. These pictures from trent's OP look like the key gully, but snowfree in late August 1967.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Aug 03, 2017 12:44 pm 
Great Route. Nice how you put together a series of mini traverses into one grand one. I have traveled all but that gully...How was the terrain from the bottom of the gully over to Pickell Pass with heavy packs?? (how about that view toward the Northern Pickets there??!!!)

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Aug 03, 2017 5:54 pm 
Terrific traverse. Well done.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Aug 03, 2017 8:16 pm 
Mother of pearl, there are some gorgeous pictures in there. Calendar worthy! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Sepultura

Sepultura
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 2:44 pm 
Choss Dog Millionaires!!

trent
Suffering fool

trent
Suffering fool
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 11:29 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
How was the terrain from the bottom of the gully over to Pickell Pass with heavy packs?
Steep but manageable, comparable to the traverse around Pioneer. We descended of off the timbered rib too soon and ended up doing two rappels down a steep and lose gully to get us to the snow field. Upon looking back at the rib, it seemed a further descent would have led us down without the rappels.

It's all downhill from here!
JasonG

JasonG
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 4:06 pm 
I LOVE the history from the 1967 traverse, we relied heavily on your team's experience from that trip. The gully is not bad at all when snow filled and, as Steve said, the rest to Pickell Pass was pretty manageable (minus my routefinding error-induced raps). It is amazingly rugged country back in there, and still quite adventurous feeling all these years later. We didn't see really any sign of passage aside from a few balloons and summit registers. Just us and the goats.

<><
JasonG

JasonG
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 am 
For those that love wasting time looking at pictures, I added a trip report over at Cascade Climbers. I'm so glad we finished before the smoke came down from BC!

<><
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 9:15 am 
AWESOME photos over on CC Jason! up.gif up.gif up.gif