Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail Blazers interview about high lake stocking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jim Mighell
Fish Rsrch Biologist

Jim Mighell
Fish Rsrch Biologist
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:52 am 
Been an interesting discussion - I will add only a few comments: I have been planting High lakes with trout since 1959, when I was given that permission by Clarence Pautzke of the WA. Department of Game, and I was a fledgling Fishery biologist for the WA. Dep't of Fisheries; in 1962 I was hired by the U.S. Bureau of Commercial Fisheries as a fishery research Biologist and fish culturist; during the next 7 yrs I was permitted to continue high lake planting in Federal Forest Service waters only. In 1969-70 The BCF was changed by legislation to National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) and I was directed to conduct high lake research as a portion of my employment. At that time I was already well aware of the problem of over-reproducing species in high lakes (Eastern Brook Char, Westslope Cutthroat, and Coastal Cutthroat, and a few strains of Rainbow Trout). Interestingly, Yellowstone Cutthroat, which were widely planted in WA. high lakes beginning in the 1920's were not a problem for the most part, and generally produced very large trout for the catch. That strain of cutthroat has all but disappeared throughout the Cascade range due to the planting of Westslope Cutthroat in lakes where they resided. The Yellowstone cutthroat did not over reproduce, even though they did reproduce, probably, because they required more specific quality of spawning substrate than Westslope cutthroat, Eastern Brook, and Coastal cutthroat; those species apparently can spawn successfully by shallow planting of their eggs on gravel beaches, and even broadcast spawning, as I witnessed for Eastern Brook in a mud bottomed lake on the Olympic Peninsula. My research focused on the stunting problem, and, as I was skeptical of poisoning high elevation waters due to likelihood that those waters could taint lower elevation well waters or City water supplies I was focused on use of predatory species to control the reproducing species; I am satisfied that approach has worked in many of the lakes that I studied, and has resulted in the production of trophy fish in lakes where that approach has been tried, and in many cases the reproducing species has been totally eliminated, in some cases, a single try has not been sufficient to prevent a reoccurrence of the stunted population. More recently, use of Triploids and all female or all male hatchery stock is a prudent approach, as some predators are not welcomed by Fishery Managers, or Tribal Entities. Incidentally, I joined the Trail Blazers in 1967, and during my fish culture work, which included work on Atlantic Salmon Culture for NMFS, I was able to provide about 80+% of trout for Trail Blazer planting from 1969-1989.

Tacoma native; gave up hockey career for Fisheries Biology; 50 yrs of planting high lakes with trout, including research therein; mainly, stock comparisons, hybridization, and population dynamics.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 11:54 am 
Jim, As a fellow outdoor enthusiast I want to thank you for your time and service to the federal, state, and outdoor community!! up.gif up.gif up.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 11:59 am 
Me, I'd rather catch something, than hit or miss trips to spotty lakes where I might catch a single 14 once in a three day trip. That said, I do appreciate the efforts of the stockers and managers for sure.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 pm 
Yes, many thanks to those who take the time to stock and manage our high lakes. Since having kids, and after many years of climbing and peakbagging, high lake fishing has again become an important part of our mountain experience.