Forum Index > Gear Talk > how to sew bugnet to bugnet
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:06 pm 
i have a cuben fiber pyramid tent that has a no-see-um netting draped around the bottom of the perimeter of the tent. this netting extends down about 1ft and theoretically keeps out intruders (despite two cases in limited experiences where it did not). now, i'd like to sew a bathtub on it using additional netting. what's the best way for me (a sewing newb) to go about this? extra details requested if possible.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 12:30 pm 
I've sewed a couple of trail tarps and so I feel your bug pain. IMHO folks worry too much about sewing bug net. My advice would be to visualize two letters J, facing each other in opposite directions as two fish hooks might snag each other. Lay out your seam a couple of feet at time and pin it together using a 1/2 inch overlap. Run it through the machine twice with the two passes 1/4 inch apart. I have used zig zag and straight stitches with equal success. Double tack any corner and stopping point by going in reverse and forwards to strengthen stress points. enjoy the feeling of "I did this myself" and bask in the glow of extra coins that you get to keep in your pocket.

illegitimi non carborundum!
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 pm 
I sewed bug netting on the perimeter of my BD MegaLight. I first sewed the netting along the perimeter with the netting facing towards the top of the tent, then folded it downwards and sewed another seam thus covering the exposed edge of netting, although that is not necessary with some netting. (IME most netting is not prone to fraying.) I have had better luck with non-stretchy netting for all uses. I sewed polyester bias tape on the lower edge of the netting, which helps the netting lay flat when the 'mid is erected, although that may not be necessary.

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 3:30 pm 
I found a tutorial, but after you remove all the RED LINES it isn't very helpful. Maybe we should all figure out sewing the way they did in the old days before the internetz ruined it. Cookie-cutter seams everywhere. clown.gif Couldn't resist. Anyway, the overlap stitch Steve describes has worked for me. I use painters tape as a cheap scrim to keep everything from stretching or moving, it's easier (for me) to line up big straight edges that way.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 10:03 pm 
If you don't feel like attempting it yourself, Bearpaw Wilderness Designs does custom work. I bought my mesh inner-tent for my old silnylon DuoMid from this guy, and recently bought a custom inner-tent for the replacement cuben version. Very good workmanship and fast turnaround time. Far less than having MLD do it too.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Aug 05, 2017 5:41 am 
As long as we're mentioning that option, I had Rainy Pass Repair in Seattle sew in 2-3 net patches in my bug netting on my cuben tent (a netting to netting repair.) It's been ?3? yrs I think, has held up perfectly and cost about $40 if memory serves me correctly.

Gregory

Gregory
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 8:02 am