Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gunn Peak 8/5/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JoeFrei

JoeFrei
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 12:42 pm 
Adam and I started our hike to Gunn Peak at 7:40 AM from near the Barclay Lake trailhead. After crossing the creek we quickly headed up a steep trail through heavy brush. After crossing another creek further up the trail became difficult to follow at times but ribbons and cairns occasionally marked the way for us.
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
After a few hours we made it out of the trees to a more open shrub and rock area and looking up I saw a large black bear running somewhat toward us and then turning to run away. I couldn't get a picture in time. We soon stopped for lunch near the base of a nearby shorter peak. This was when Gunn Peak really came in to view for the first time.
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Continuing towards Gunn Peak we went down in to the valley between us and Gunn not following a trail. We crossed some snow patches but not a lot before stopping at the stream. We refilled our water bottles here.
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
We met up with a couple other hikers here and joined them toward our objective. We descended more in to the valley below us and crossed more snow and headed up the boulder field below Gunn peak.
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Near the top of the boulder field we started climbing up the rock ridge to the right. This was more technical climbing then I had done in a while but there were plenty of hand and foot holds going up.
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
We traversed around to the back side of the mountain. Went past the ledge open to the cliff side. And then scrambled to the top. We made it to the summit at noon. There was a summit register to sign at the top in a Nalgene bottle that was started on July 22nd of this year. We all signed. Views from the top were hazy as they had been all day. Mount Barring seemed to be fading. We could see many peaks around us though and Barclay lake far below and a mountain goat a good distance away.
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
We followed the same route down. Climbing down was a little challenging. It was hot and I could really feel the sun on me by this point. We refilled with water again at the stream. This was some good water! We made it back to the car by 4pm. We were glad to be done bush wacking by this point.

Joe_Frei
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KTizzle89

KTizzle89
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 3:54 pm 
Nice work Joe! lets seriously get a peak soon dude.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 4:41 pm 
Nice job. This one's been on my list for a couple years now. May not get to it this year, but soon! Looks like a good day. How many entries in the register so far?

JoeFrei

JoeFrei
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 6:16 pm 
13 before us since July 22nd

Joe_Frei
geyer

geyer
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 7:15 am 
Nice! I did this one in the first week of March 2015 if you can believe it -- the "trail" ceased to exist around the time that gully started. And on the way down, I got a bit lost, plus the wind swept away my map... had to downclimb a few trees and climb down a few waterfall gullies, plus wade through a bog before getting to my car a few hours after dark with only my cell phone flashlight. Definitely a learning experience for an inexperience noob who hadn't really had to route-find before. Looks like you didn't have any of those troubles smile.gif

Bronco

Bronco
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 9:10 am 
Good to run into you up there. Here's a pic of you guys and Scott on the ledge of doom.

Goatmaster
Adam

Goatmaster
Adam
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 am 
Thanks for making this Joe! That was a good way to spend a Saturday. Ryan - Thanks for the picture, and good running into you guys as well!

ree

ree
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 7:11 am 
I think that area would be fun for an overnighter. Lots of peaks in close range. Wow, a bear! up.gif