Forum Index > Trip Reports > Surprise & Spark Plug Mountains (Alpine Lakes Wilderness) - 8/5-6/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
geyer

geyer
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 pm 
Dates: August 5-6, 2017 Distance: 20.6 miles Accum. Elevation Gain: 8500' Total Humans Seen: a lot The Alpine Lakes Wilderness (ALW) is one of those areas (along with the Olympics) that always seems to amaze, and yet it takes far too long for me to return because there is also always another taller mountain calling my name. Last year, I had this experience when I climbed Mount Roosevelt, which has remained one of my favorite vistas yet. When I returned home, I immediately began to scour contour maps and google Earth to find that next oft-overlooked peak with unbeatable views in the ALW. That's how I landed upon Spark Plug Mountain. It was only going to be a day hike had I followed the SummitPost route, but the more I looked into it, the more I wanted to explore more of the area; I developed a 28 mile route where I would ascend the NE ridge of Spark Plug, hike the ridge to the PCT, return to Glacier lake, ascend to the 6400' pass at the NW Thunder Mtn Lake, climb Thor Mountain, descend to Square Lake, Milk Lake, and Lake Wolverine, then take Leland Creek over to Icicle Creek, around Josephine Lake, and back over to my car at the Tunnel Creek TH. It was going to be a lot of scrambling, ups and downs, and plenty of alpine lakes to keep me satisfied until next summer. Fast forward to this past weekend. Coming off a sore knee, I hadn't hiked in two weeks, but I had been strengthening it back up at the gym in the meantime. With a Glacier Peak push coming next weekend, I felt like I needed to get out and push myself, despite the heat and smoke. Seemed as good a time as any to take the Spark Plug route for a spin. Day 1: Tunnel Creek to Surprise Peak via Surprise Gap Distance: 10.3 miles Elevation Gain: 5500' Turns out that when you come into a hike with a pretty strict agenda, an attitude of needing to hike rather than wanting to, a lot of smoke, and just as much heat, it isn't a winning combination. This weighed down on me the first 6 or so miles of my afternoon start on the way to Surprise Lake, making it feel like a chore rather than something to enjoy. Surprise Lake was supposed to be where I turned off the trail and began an uphill bushwack to Spark Plug.
Flowers and haze
Flowers and haze
Entering ALW
Entering ALW
Hope Lake
Hope Lake
Trail smoke
Trail smoke
views
views
Trap Lake
Trap Lake
Trap Lake
Trap Lake
Trap Lake
Trap Lake
First sight of Surprise Lake after ten billion switchbacks
First sight of Surprise Lake after ten billion switchbacks
I stopped. I stared at the brushy ridge. I wanted nothing to do with it. It sounds silly, but I had to remind myself that I didn't need to do anything, save for return to my car in the end. There was plenty of land to explore without busting my buns. That right then and there is when I started to have fun again. Surprise Lake looked so good that I decided to just keep on hiking next to it. And when it ended, making way for a boulder field with gushing water outflow from Glacier lake hidden underneath it, I just kept going. And when I made it to Glacier Lake, I walked along that for a while, too, before heading up to reconnect with the PCT. I no longer felt any desire to make it up to Spark Plug; summit fever was gone and sunset fever replaced it with a vengeance. I needed to get somewhere high so I could witness this smoky sunset everyone seemed to be talking about.
Surprise Lake
Surprise Lake
Surprise Lake
Surprise Lake
Glacier Lake
Glacier Lake
It was not long before I was past the lake and landed at a crux - follow the PCT to the right and make it to Pieper Pass... Or follow this temptingly gradual and seemingly trail-less route to the left, where another ridge awaited. In the spirit of adventure, I chose left, and I'm glad I did. After a few paces, I began to notice cairns guiding the way up it. I guess it wasn't so trail-less after all! (Post-hike research has shown that this was part of the "Cascade Crest Trail" which no longer appears on maps. If anyone knows the history behind this trail, I'd be interested to find out more.) Despite my map not showing this trail, it did show a trail at Surprise Gap leading to the summit of Surprise Mountain, which I took. The summit has a flat gravel area with a metal pole that would have been perfect to set up camp, but I wanted to be closer to the ledge with the best views, so I continued NW. The bugs were absolutely atrocious. And I found out that I was all out of bug spray. The stuff of nightmares.
PCT to the right, Surprise Gap to the left
PCT to the right, Surprise Gap to the left
Cairns!
Cairns!
Glacier Lake
Glacier Lake
Mac Peak from Surprise Gap
Mac Peak from Surprise Gap
Daniel & hinman levitating
Daniel & hinman levitating
Surprise Mountain summit views
Surprise Mountain summit views
Surprise Sunset
Surprise Sunset
see the sun spot left of center?
see the sun spot left of center?
sunset
sunset
Moon
Moon
Nearly full
Nearly full
Day 2: Surprise Mtn to Spark Plug Mtn to Spark Plug Lake to Tunnel Creek TH Distance: 10.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3000' After hiding in my bivy for the night, I awoke to Patagonia-brand-esque color bands behind the rocky spires of Thunder Mountain, which stayed in place for almost two hours until the sun came up from behind the ridge, still glowing orange despite being 40 mins past actual sunrise. I was packed up and decided that today was was the day to go for Spark Plug Mountain. There was a discernible bootpath along the entire ridge from Surprise to Spark Plug! This should not have surprised me, given the proximity to the PCT, but it did. It was nearly impossible to lose your way. The path did fade closer to Spark Plug. I'm guessing the exposure near the top turned some people away.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Sunrise
Sunrise
From the PCT pass
From the PCT pass
Daniel and Hinman levitating, part 2
Daniel and Hinman levitating, part 2
Once at the top, Spark Plug Lake comes into view and it is worth every bead of sweat and bloody scrape to get this view from above. But the real treat was still awaiting - a swim in this beaut! It was the perfect temperature - cold enough to give you a chill, but not so cold as to make you go numb. I did a few laps near the south shore and was tempted to cross the entire thing (I didn't though). The bugs were not a problem when in the lake either. It was my own little paradise.
Spark Plug Lake from Spark Plug Mtn
Spark Plug Lake from Spark Plug Mtn
From the western edge of the SP summit
From the western edge of the SP summit
Obvious rockfall/avalanche boulder field to go up/down
Obvious rockfall/avalanche boulder field to go up/down
SP Lake
SP Lake
SP Lake
SP Lake
SP Lake
SP Lake
SP Lake
SP Lake
SP Lake
SP Lake
After drying off, I began the descent. First past Little Spark Plug Lake, then sidehilling over to a more gradual ridge. Just when I was thinking that there was no way in hell other people had taken this route and there had to be a better way, I came across a bright pink flagging attached to a bush. SERIOUSLY!? Anyway, I made that descent and then zombie-walked the rest of the way out to the car. The switchbacks felt even longer on the return.
Little SP Lake
Little SP Lake
Little SP Lake
Little SP Lake
How in tarnation is this here?
How in tarnation is this here?
Back at Surprise Lake
Back at Surprise Lake
I love the simplicity of this picture. And the layers
I love the simplicity of this picture. And the layers
We used to go to Florida a lot when I was a kid and my mom never failed to turn over a fern and show me the spores on the bottom.
We used to go to Florida a lot when I was a kid and my mom never failed to turn over a fern and show me the spores on the bottom.
PCT switchbacks
PCT switchbacks
Good Trip. And a little reminder that sometimes the best trips are the ones that you don't plan. PS, I couldn't find a summit register on Spark Plug, but I also didn't look very hard.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 9:08 pm 
Nice report! I had the intention of a similar route 8-9 years ago, but bailed after getting rained on hard at Surprise Lake. It was a wet hike out and I've yet to go back. After seeing your report, maybe I should! up.gif

contour5

contour5
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 pm 
Great photos despite the challenging atmospheric conditions! The CCT was sort of the predecessor to the PCT. In 1979, I walked from Snoqualmie to Stevens with a couple of friends. Because they were doing some touch-up blasting on the Kendal Katwalk, (part of the brand new PCT at the time) we took the old route- up Commonwealth, over Red Pass, and down to Goldmyer, then up the Middle Fork, over Dutch Miller Gap and then on to Deception Pass by a route that I can't quite remember exactly. Deep Lake to Cathedral Pass probably, although the older CCT route was probably Trail Pass to Hyas Lake...Surprise Gap and Peak were one of the highlights of that trip for sure.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 am 
Nice trip! The smoke makes for some interesting pictures. RolyPoly and I day hiked up there last year. Here is what the view from the top of Surprise Mountain looks like on a clear day.

geyer

geyer
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 am 
Nancyann wrote:
Nice trip! The smoke makes for some interesting pictures. RolyPoly and I day hiked up there last year. Here is what the view from the top of Surprise Mountain looks like on a clear day.
You mean to say there were other mountains out there!?! winksmile.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 am 
agree.gif Another fun adventure would be to climb the peak across from Surprise Gap. See wolffie's trip report for "Tedium" Peak from a couple of years ago.

Dick B

Dick B
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 am 
Some Surprise Gap trail history. Up until the mid to late '60s the Crest Trail went from Deception Lakes north over Surprise Gap to what used to be a shelter above Glacier Lake. In '66 I went to work for a college friend who owned a surveying business in Corvallis. He and his dad took a Forest Service contract to rebuild this section of trail in what is now its present location which is from Deception Lakes over Piper Pass then down to reconnect to the original CCT. The FS let a lot of contracts at that time to bring the Crest Trail up to a higher standard, one of which if I'm correct was to keep the grades at 6% or less. I worked on the re-route for 2 summers. One summer we had a spike camp at the south end of the trail and the second summer at the north end. The trail actually took longer to build but the 2 summers was all the time I spent on it. We drilled and shot a lot of rock, which we moved off the trail by hand. The only mechanical equipment we had was an electric powered Bosch drill powered by a generator. All our supplies (food, powder & beer) were packed in by horses either from the Salmon La Sac or Scenic.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 am 
It's almost more interesting with the smoke! Your photos are simply incredible, especially the sunsets, sunrises, and the Mt. Daniel and Hinman pair. Wow. Was the trail marked well between Surprise, along Glacier, and then to the PCT? Thinking about going there this weekend.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 9:36 am 
Dick B wrote:
Some Surprise Gap trail history. Up until the mid to late '60s the Crest Trail went from Deception Lakes north over Surprise Gap to what used to be a shelter above Glacier Lake. In '66 I went to work for a college friend who owned a surveying business in Corvallis. He and his dad took a Forest Service contract to rebuild this section of trail in what is now its present location which is from Deception Lakes over Piper Pass then down to reconnect to the original CCT. The FS let a lot of contracts at that time to bring the Crest Trail up to a higher standard, one of which if I'm correct was to keep the grades at 6% or less. I worked on the re-route for 2 summers. One summer we had a spike camp at the south end of the trail and the second summer at the north end. The trail actually took longer to build but the 2 summers was all the time I spent on it. We drilled and shot a lot of rock, which we moved off the trail by hand. The only mechanical equipment we had was an electric powered Bosch drill powered by a generator. All our supplies (food, powder & beer) were packed in by horses either from the Salmon La Sac or Scenic.
Fascinating!

geyer

geyer
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 7:10 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
I've yet to go back. After seeing your report, maybe I should!
Do it! I know I'll be going back for that Thunder Lakes area eventually.
contour5 wrote:
The CCT was sort of the predecessor to the PCT. In 1979, I walked from Snoqualmie to Stevens with a couple of friends. Because they were doing some touch-up blasting on the Kendal Katwalk, (part of the brand new PCT at the time) we took the old route- up Commonwealth, over Red Pass, and down to Goldmyer, then up the Middle Fork, over Dutch Miller Gap and then on to Deception Pass by a route that I can't quite remember exactly. Deep Lake to Cathedral Pass probably, although the older CCT route was probably Trail Pass to Hyas Lake...Surprise Gap and Peak were one of the highlights of that trip for sure.
Dick B wrote:
Thank you both! This is more than I could have expected. So do you know why they stopped maintaining it or putting it on maps? Just due to the PCT's popularity? It seemed like the part through Surprise Gap was in very good condition.
HermitThrush wrote:
It's almost more interesting with the smoke! Your photos are simply incredible, especially the sunsets, sunrises, and the Mt. Daniel and Hinman pair. Wow. Was the trail marked well between Surprise, along Glacier, and then to the PCT? Thinking about going there this weekend.
Thanks again. The bootpath along Surprise is easy to follow, but after a while, it disappears (because there isn't a maintained trail). It isn't really difficult to just follow the sounds of drainage from Glacier Lake up to its source, but you will be hopping across large boulders. Then when you're there, you have to do a bit of uphill bushwack to get back to the PCT, which does not actually come that close to Glacier Lake. Or you could just take the PCT all the way from Surprise Lake to Glacier Lake. The link above is a map showing the maintained trails.

Dick B

Dick B
PostThu Aug 10, 2017 10:03 am 
I assume that the FS didn't want to spend the money to maintain the "Gap" trail. I never took this route while I worked on the new trail but I would think it didn't meet the specs we covered on the re-route. Besides grade, the tread had to be a certain width and a specified width thru the cliff areas that would allow pack animals with packs to clear the sides. As I remember the north portion of the "gap" trail went up thru a talus slope so it was probably pretty steep and perhaps not pack animal friendly. As a matter of fact I was told that part our pack string actually fell off this portion of the trail once. I think it was the year before I got into the construction. Foot traffic was very light back in those days so I'm sure maintaining both trails was not even considered.

yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Aug 10, 2017 10:30 am 
Thanks for the fun report. That is a wonderful area to explore. Here's a pic I took of the zig zag PCT trail and the old CCC/PCT trail directly up to Surprise Gap.
Original PCT was routed directly up to the Gap at the left, current PCT route switchbacks up and around the North side of Surprise Mountain.  Much longer bypass route.
Original PCT was routed directly up to the Gap at the left, current PCT route switchbacks up and around the North side of Surprise Mountain. Much longer bypass route.

hikermike

hikermike
PostThu Aug 10, 2017 3:35 pm 
I've done the old trail over surprise gap and it was fine, never sure why it needed to replacing. Easy to find 20 yrs ago...even had a sign pointing up.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 10, 2017 3:49 pm 
hikermike wrote:
never sure why it needed to replacing
The PCT is designed to be suitable for equestrian use, so the old CCT was re- built/re-routed to a 6-7% grade, as Dick B mentioned above. Plus to keep it as close to the Crest as possible, re-routes were necessary to eliminate the wild up's and down's of the old trail. I enjoy the old CCT and like to see and walk on remnants. One of my favorite old remnants is up the slope to Wards' Pass near Lake Sally Ann, and small stretches here and there from Red Pass (Glacier Peak) north toward the Upper Whitechuck crossing.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostSat Aug 12, 2017 3:22 pm 
Campsites on that bench the switchbacks lead too?