Forum Index > Trip Reports > Boulder Lake, Elwha, ONP August 11, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Aug 12, 2017 7:57 pm 
the Hot Springs Road past the former glines canyon dam, finally opened a few days ago. the last closure was due to the removal of the Suspension Bridge over Crystal Creek that really didn't get an official opening. does anyone know of an official opening for 'bridges'? anyway, the old footbridge was a bit sketchy, the suspension bridge got bombarded by a huge rock slide, and guess what? another 'sketchy' footbridge has been built to replace the suspension bridge. i say sketchy because i swear, a few whacks by backpacks, and i'm sure the railing will go flying. but what do i know … tongue.gif the 'old footbridge' before the suspension bridge
the short lived suspension bridge…it got damaged by a rockslide
the NEW footbridge, 2017
from the trailhead parking lot to the junction, hot springs to the left, boulder lake/appletton pass trails via campground, to the right, there are numerous trenches along the 'so called trail'. drainage? there are a few downed trees along the trail towards Boulder Lake, but otherwise, it's in great shape. the flies/skeeters were a pain. so after about 5.7 miles in the woods, the wildflowers are finally visible! that leaves about .2 mile to the lake.
that's all

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Abert

Abert
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 7:41 am 
I'm sure that new bridge must be sturdier than it looks since they kept the trail completely closed for three months to install it and remove the suspension bridge. I'm just pleasantly surprised that it opened before the road closed for the winter. I was up on Happy Lake Ridge that same day, getting bitten by a wide variety of flying insects. The trail is freshly cleared up to 3500' and has just a few trees down above that.

meck

meck
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 12:47 pm 
Nice to see that open again bobbi! (gotta get up there soon to visit some more trail and offtrail locales!) Did you guys (gals) see any critters?

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*