Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mad Cows & Bees on Sheephead Mtn., 08.06.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:05 pm 
A few wks. ago I took my group to Sheephead Mtn., a short hike in the Lagunas that's a good choice for the summer mos. as there's a decent amount of treecover for much of the hike. I got 4 takers for this half day hike in the hills, & before the day was done 3 of us got stung by bees & none of us escaped from being grunted at by some miffed cattle who likely were unaccustomed to seeing very many hikers in that area. paranoid.gif We parked @ the usual spot along Kitchen Creek Rd. & headed up the old rd.
@ the TH
@ the TH
On the old rd.
On the old rd.
Before long we came across some cows who were not too pleased w/our presence. They eyed us suspiciously, grunted their disappointment, & crashed off through the bushes.
Mad cows
Mad cows
The old rd. deteriorated into a more narrow path, then opened up again & appeared to have suffered the consequences of a rough winter (well, by SoCal standards anyway), indicated by a lot of debris & mud. It looked like the cows had trampled through there as well so it was just a mess of mud, sticks, & hoofprints. @ some point I felt a sudden, sharp piercing pain in my upper left thigh/groin area, & soon realized that a bee had stung me through my shorts. A person in front got stung as well as someone behind me. We concluded we must've walked over a ground nest or something. Since the source of pain was located in an area such that I'd have to remove my shorts to inspect the damage, I had to wait til later @ the restaurant bathroom to check it out. mum.gif
Messed up rd.
Messed up rd.
Retreating cows
Retreating cows
As usual, picking up the side trail to the peak proved to be tricky, but eventually I spotted it heading up through the chaparral & we made our way over to it.
Steep trail
Steep trail
Mtn. mahogany
Mtn. mahogany
Heading up through the manzanita
Heading up through the manzanita
After a steep initial climb up, the trail eases up a bit before reaching the summit rocks. We all climbed the south rock & a couple of us went up the north (higher) rock.
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit pano
Cows in Channing Meadow
Cows in Channing Meadow
Cows in Channing Meadow
Cows in Channing Meadow
On the south summit rock
On the south summit rock
View north
View north
View south
View south
Summit register
Summit register
We had a nice leisurely stay @ the summit, then made our way back down. No more cow or bee encounters on the return trip. up.gif
Short hike
Short hike
Route
Route
Post-hike margs
Post-hike margs
Post-hike drinks
Post-hike drinks

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:21 pm 
ouch! hate it when I get stung! rant.gif otherwise looks like fun. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message