Forum Index > Trail Talk > Norse Peak and American Ridge Fires
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chico

Chico
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:05 pm 
Joey wrote:
Sure, the state of WA has a GIS layer with mileposts.
I've got maps (west and east) on Capitol Riders. but it's to the nearest milepost and then you have to determine to the tenth or hundredth. The app has milepost imprinted on the images. Know that those can be off a bit. As an example, you are looking at an intersection. The milepost at the intersection is supposed to be xxx.xx according to the table. When you click on that intersection milepost it shows an image that is a hundredth or so further back. Images provided on this version are straight ahead, right and 360. 360 is not all that great but can be useful. The desktop version offers a view to the left. So maybe someday if they see this thing getting used a lot more. I've stitched images together to obtain a better overall view of intersections. The road/street names given are more or less what is out there. Typos have been known to happen however.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:07 pm 
There was a change in wind direction as well.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:10 pm 
Bdcast34 wrote:
Yeah best way I've found is to use the GeoPortal and then turn on "milepost values".
Thanks for posting that. Took me a minute to two to figure it out. haha The "milepost values" is in the section on the left titled: Transportation Features. It's just above the Basemap section. ~z

gb

gb
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:26 pm 
BdCast wrote:
gb wrote:
Winds at the top of Crystal Mountain are averaging 25 mph out of the NE with gusts as high as 40mph the last 5 hours. The fire should be pushed to Crystal Mountain ski area.
Curious where you are getting this info from, if not from someone on the ground.
Northwest Avalanche Center telemetry. You can also view the webcams.

BdCast

BdCast
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:34 pm 
gb wrote:
BdCast wrote:
gb wrote:
Winds at the top of Crystal Mountain are averaging 25 mph out of the NE with gusts as high as 40mph the last 5 hours. The fire should be pushed to Crystal Mountain ski area.
Curious where you are getting this info from, if not from someone on the ground.
Northwest Avalanche Center telemetry. You can also view the webcams.
Ok, just trying to identify where our information is coming from. Thanks.

BdCast

BdCast
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:34 pm 
Enhanced image from the Crystal Gondola Cam. Can clearly see the fire activity. https://imgur.com/gallery/rQAaD

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:35 pm 
The winds fade tonight. None of the webcams indicate fire(in the resort), and all are still working... so I remain hopeful Crystal can fight it off. They don't have to hold out long for the winds to go down. Plus the firefighters were back in there too after being pulled out overnight...

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:37 pm 
BdCast wrote:
Can clearly see the fire activity.
Looks like its still a ways off across the valley. The winds would have to push it downhill. Fires like going downwind but they don't like going downhill as much. Theres still a chance for crystal to survive.

BdCast

BdCast
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:55 pm 
Finally word from MRNP **Effective immediately, Mount Rainier National Park has closed the northeast portion of the park due to the unpredictable fire behavior of the Norse Peak Fire.** "This fire is burning outside the east boundary of the park. Currently the Sunrise Road is closed between the junction with SR 410 near White River and Sunrise. The portions of SR 410 to Cayuse Pass and SR 123 within the park are open." https://m.facebook.com/MountRainierNPS/posts/1658261727577217

BdCast

BdCast
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:59 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Looks like its still a ways off across the valley. The winds would have to push it downhill. Fires like going downwind but they don't like going downhill as much. Theres still a chance for crystal to survive.
Yup, hoping for the best!

BdCast

BdCast
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 5:48 pm 
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 pm 
Flew in to Seattle yesterday, approaching SeaTac from the south. The fire burning northeast of Rainier was big enough, but the fire further east (JollyMtn?) is very, very large. Woke up this morning to ash all over the cars (south of Issy). Rain dance.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 7:05 pm 
Amazing! Light ash on our deck NE of Redmond. Apparently it likely came from the Norse Peak fire. Here is the current day MODIS satellite view. The map is centered at the Norse Peak fire.
View larger size in new window

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 7:34 pm 
I'm sorry if this an obvious question, but how reliable is VIIRS vs MODIS? I searched a bit, but could not find a good answer. The comments I found address whether either reliably detect a fire, but not if they over-estimate the size (i.e. false positives). For example, this is the current combined view:
Is the union of MODIS and VIIRS on fire, or is it more likely to be the intersection of the two, or mostly just MODIS? (which is what you always use Joey). Note in particular that Sun Top is burning according te VIIRS, but not according to MODIS (although one spot recently appeared on the Fawn Ridge).

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 7:49 pm 
Please click "Map Tips" and scroll down to the section "About the data". That is what I know. If anyone can find a good explanation comparing MODIS/VIIRS/HMS, please share. MODIS is the oldest tech. VIIRS is the newest. I suspect their detection thresholds are different.