Forum Index > Trip Reports > Trappers Peak and X Mountain - 8.17.2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 am 
Located in the North Cascades National Park, both of these summits offer outstanding views in all directions... all three Thornton Lakes, Thornton Peak, Mount Triumph, Mount Despair, the Southern Pickets and many, many, many more peaks and mountains with which I am unfamiliar. From Hwy 20, drive FS-3745 for 4.3 miles to the end of the road (~2500') and start hiking on the Thornton Lakes Trail. At 1.2 miles (~2700') cross Thornton Creek. At 3.8 miles (~4350') enter North Cascades National Park. At 4.5 miles (~5000') come to the junction for Thornton Lakes and Trappers Peak. At 5.0 miles (~5960') you are standing on the summit of Trappers Peak. At 5.8 miles (~5960') you are standing on the summit of X Mountain. Note that while the summits of Trappers Peak and X Mountain are more or less the same elevation, you do have to give up 350 feet of elevation and then gain it back as you travel from Trappers over to X... and of course you get to regain the 350 feet while tracing your steps back to the Trappers summit. There is some easy Class 2 terrain (all on an obvious path) from the Thornton Lakes/Trappers Peak junction up to the Trappers summit... and if you choose to include X Mountain, the crux of the trip is giving up 350 feet of elevation on the steep Class 2/3 heather slope on the NW side of Trappers. The ridge connecting Trappers and X can appear very intimidating when looking down on it from the summit of Trappers... however, that is only an illusion... and if you don't see bits and pieces of path on the Class 2/3 heather slope on the NW side of Trappers, you are most likely off route. IMO, the views from X are better than those from Trappers... you are closer to the summits of Thornton Peak and Mount Triumph... with an added bonus of being able to look back at the impressive granite wall that makes up the north face of Trappers. For those wondering how X Mountain got its name, BarbE has solved the mystery... there are two six foot quartz veins on the summit block that form an "X". 11.7 miles roundtrip, gaining 4382 feet of elevation. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our trip to Trappers Peak and X Mountain. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ira

ira
PostSat Aug 19, 2017 11:26 am 
looks like a great hike. i'll have to get up there some day.

-ira
RichP

RichP
PostSat Aug 19, 2017 2:46 pm 
Makes me wish I had gone out to X when I was up there. A good excuse to return though.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Aug 20, 2017 3:40 pm 
Gorgeous photos! This trip has been on my list for a couple years. I've considered combining this trip with Thornton too. Does anywhere between Trappers and X-mountain look feasible for descending down towards the lakes? Maybe due south from X, aiming for the middle lake outlet? The lines look pretty close together on the topo (looks cliffy) so I'm not holding out too much hope.

Mikey

Mikey
PostSun Aug 20, 2017 4:50 pm 
Many thanks for your outstanding hike/climb reports. Your photos with identified landmarks and route lines are great.

BarbE

BarbE
PostSun Aug 20, 2017 6:45 pm 
My first time on Trappers & X Mountain and not my last. Stellar day and scenery!
Upper Thornton Lakes
Upper Thornton Lakes
The mighty Pickets
The mighty Pickets
Aptly named X Mountain
Aptly named X Mountain
Ridge walk
Ridge walk
As close as I can get to Triumph
As close as I can get to Triumph
Ragman gone to heaven
Ragman gone to heaven

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Aug 20, 2017 7:43 pm 
sure looks good up there, nice pics BarbE up.gif

Eric Eames
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
I've considered combining this trip with Thornton too.
It takes a bit of work to get to, but the upper lake is by FAR the best of the 3.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 pm 
That traverse between Trapper and X looks like a lot of fun. I'm sorry I was busy and couldn't join you.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 am 
awilsondc wrote:
I've considered combining this trip with Thornton too. Does anywhere between Trappers and X-mountain look feasible for descending down towards the lakes? Maybe due south from X, aiming for the middle lake outlet? The lines look pretty close together on the topo (looks cliffy) so I'm not holding out too much hope.
I came back from the Trappers/X trip thinking about Thornton Peak. I searched for "Thornton Peak" on this forum and got four hits... reports by Tom_Sjolseth, Randy, Fletcher and Gimpilator... all strong climbers... and all of them did Thornton by going down to the lower Thornton Lake and following a path toward the middle lake before selecting their route to continue higher. One of Gimpilator's photos (his wife is gaining elevation on a heather slope and you can see the south side of X behind her) gives a distant view of what you would be dealing with if you tried to descend from X to the middle lake... and to me it looks incredibly steep and sketchy... however, as we all know, distant views can sometimes be deceiving. I think my 70 year old knees would like to do this as a "3 day/2 night" backpack... spending both nights at the lower lake and climbing the peak on the second day... giving lots of time to roam around up near the top.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Porkrind
Porkrind

Porkrind
Porkrind
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 1:16 pm 
Good report and pics, thanks for the route description. We were there on 8/15/17 but weren't aware of the X Mountain option, maybe next time. I'd also love to explore all around the three lakes (and fish).

We can't always control what happens, But you can how you respond to it.
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 1:21 pm 
Not that it matters too much, but I actually climbed Thornton without going through Thornton Lakes, I took the cross-country route from the parking lot that gains the ridge directly.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 9:29 pm 
Thanks for the reply! Looks like I'm headed up there soon, but just for Trappers and X. I'll scope out the route though, because now I'm curious. I like Tom's cross country route idea, possibly next spring, although upper Thornton Lake does look like a pretty nice place to spend a night in the backcountry. Can't wait to see these views in person!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 pm 
Wonderful report R&R. Very inspiring. Love the "X" in X Mountain.
BarbE wrote:
My first time on Trappers & X Mountain and not my last. Stellar day and scenery!
BarbE, these photos are amazing. Especially this one.
BarbE wrote:
Ragman gone to heaven
Ragman gone to heaven
Whoa... catching the spirit of Ragman for sure. ~z

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 6:48 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
At 3.8 miles (~4350') enter North Cascades National Park.
Great report, I always enjoy your posts! This one has been on my list for a long time and I hope to do it next week. Pretty close to the time of year you went up. The map shows a stream starting about 4,200 Ft, a short distance from the trail. Do you remember if there was water flowing the day your group hiked up? I tweaked my knee last season. If I can save the mileage and elevation gain hauling water I'd prefer to fill up there. Thanks in advance for any info you could share! Mike

Life is short, hike hard...