Forum Index > Trip Reports > Seven Finger Jack and Mt. Maude
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 5:31 pm 
Jim architected the perfect trip for larches this year: the Chiwawa area. It held a lot of choices for peakbaggers and lakebaggers alike. Everyone in the party had their own peak agendas. For me, it was Seven Finger Jack and Mt. Maude. The plan was to camp first night in Leroy Basin, then the next day, climb Seven Finger Jack and move camp to Ice Lakes. Leroy Basin was great. Colors are a few days before all the green tinges go away, but still golden and bright.
first golden larches
first golden larches
group rest stop
group rest stop
Leroy Basin
Leroy Basin
Brian's Halloween Costume
Brian's Halloween Costume
golden glow on camp
golden glow on camp
The next day we woke up in the dark to get started for a long day. Seven Finger Jack seems to have lots of approaches. We chose the left approach from Leroy Basin. So we went alllll the way left from the basin - following a bootpath. We went all the way left until we could go no further and there was a cliff. Here, there was a bunch of long cliffy craggy slabs to get up on and it was more than I wanted to try. I mean, this mountain is climbed all the time. Isn't there an easier way??? confused.gif Eileen decided to try another route and I'm glad she did. I was ready to give up and hang out in camp! But her and Lisa coaxed me and what the hell, I really did want to go for it. Ugh, the first bit of it was chossy and loose and steep! I don't know if Eileen was following a bootpath or not but we stuck close together because it was so loose. Then we got up onto a ledgey area that eased up a bit in steepness. From there we worked our way left for a long ways. It was steep and rocky but there was an intermittent boot path to the summit. The summit was a little confusing as there is a cleft wall you can go up, or if you look down and around, you can avoid it and come up a chute that may be a bit easier. Whoever made that cairn, thank you. The summit was fantastic. Great views of Mt. Maude's glaciated face. Glacier Peak looked as gorgeous as ever. Nice views of the Upper Entiat Valley, Spider Meadows, Fortress, Stuart, and Sawtooths. Eileen brought Ed's Traveling Summit Register, which has apparently been parked on Del Campo for a while, and put it on its new peak.
heading out of Leroy Basin, early morning
heading out of Leroy Basin, early morning
heading up draw to a small rocky basin
heading up draw to a small rocky basin
view at the end of the draw and cliffs
view at the end of the draw and cliffs
Chiwawa Valley
Chiwawa Valley
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Bonanza
Bonanza
Fay, the Orange Bullet
Fay, the Orange Bullet
summit chill time
summit chill time
Mt. Maude's Glaciers
Mt. Maude's Glaciers
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Baker in the distance
Baker in the distance
We didn't stay too long, for we had a long haul ahead of us down and moving camp. This time, we all headed towards the left heading down, following that chossy rocky bench all the way down. There's a nasty gully there you want to avoid. We had all dispersed into smaller groups that headed down into Leroy Basin. Back at camp, we geared up to move camp to Ice Lakes. There is a nice bootpath the whole way... it was just a long STEEP haul to get there, especially after Seven Finger Jack. This time, I followed Steve and Brian followed me. I was lucky enough to catch a little light on the lake before reaching Ice Lakes Pass. That was a nice treat.
larches on the way to Ice Lakes
larches on the way to Ice Lakes
crimson trail
crimson trail
ground cover
ground cover
looking back at larches
looking back at larches
last bit of light on the lake
last bit of light on the lake
Lower Ice Lakes
Lower Ice Lakes
golden light
golden light
The rest of the gang showed up 20 minutes later and we set up camp high above the lake. Our camp had the best kitchen ever - shielded from the cold wind, which was building over the afternoon. We knew the forecast was for incoming rain or snow. I was getting over a cold and I don't particularly like cold wet weather, so Steve, Brian and I pulled the plug and decided to pass on the rest of the fabulous peak bagging in the area. The next morning, we bade farewell to the others who undauntedly went on to South Spectacle Butte. On the way out we did a hike up to Mt. Maude. That was a fantastic hike. So easy and scenic. Great views of Ice Lakes and the serrated edge of Seven Finger Jack. We stayed long enough to carbo load and take pictures. The wind was getting stronger and blowing me around. The original plan was to exit Carne Mtn. High Route. But that wind was dang cold and strong and we all decided to go for it and run out Leroy Basin. Maybe we could get out before the weather got in. As it happens, just as we arrived at the car, the first raindrops fell. Additional bonus was finding my gloves I'd left behind at the Leroy Basin turnoff. cool.gif up.gif
Ice Lake
Ice Lake
Upper Ice Lake
Upper Ice Lake
larch and lake
larch and lake
leaving as the clouds and winds pick up
leaving as the clouds and winds pick up
Fernow
Fernow
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
South Spectacle Butte
South Spectacle Butte
Spider Meadows in the Chiwawa Valley
Spider Meadows in the Chiwawa Valley
Seven Finger Jack
Seven Finger Jack
my favorite person next to [one of] my favorite lakes
my favorite person next to [one of] my favorite lakes
cobalt and cyan
cobalt and cyan
fall color
fall color
last bit of sunlight before the weather turned
last bit of sunlight before the weather turned

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 5:45 pm 
up.gif Looks nice. The only time I've been to Ice Lakes I came all the way up from Entiat River Rd. I should take the shortcut and drop over the shoulder of Maude and visit again. Hey, somebody has my tent! The Nemo w/ the lime green fly.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 6:35 pm 
Nice looking trip and photos. up.gif

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 6:44 pm 
I was on the verge of going to Carne Mountain this weekend, but stuff came up, some days opened up, and I'm going to the Sawtooths instead. Those are some fantastic pictures. A question - does the boot path go all the way from Leroy Basin to the Ice Lakes? - or are you referring to the Leroy High Route?

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 9:46 pm 
ree wrote:
The original plan was to exit Carne Mtn. High Route. But that wind was dang cold and strong and we all decided to go for it and run out Leroy Basin. Maybe we could get out before the weather got in.
Good call. You beat the weather that came in Friday night and dropped snow above about 5500'. Today we turned our planned Carne Mountain high route to Ice Lakes and Maude into just a day hike to Carne Mountain. The larches there are just starting into prime, but need another few days for the full gold.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 10:24 pm 
Looks like a fun group and a productive trip. Congrats up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed