Forum Index > Trail Talk > Eclipse...What did you see?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 pm 
Observed totality from the mountains west of Baker City OR. Totally worth the drive. Amazing. Those few minutes of totality wer one of the stranger and more majestic things i have seen.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 8:34 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Effects from tree canopies look neat. No trees where we were.
This was the coolest part of it for me. I was working in downtown Seattle and we took our break at 10 and went out the sidewalk to hang out. I didn't have glasses but some guy shared them so I and my apprentice could each take a look. It got dim. The shadows looked funny. The whole "look at it through your cell phone camera" thing was a complete bust. Then I went back inside and went back to work.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 8:47 pm 
Sir Bedivere wrote:
"look at it through your cell phone camera"
lol.gif I set up my little point-and-shoot on a tripod and clicked the "record" button for a video, thinking I'd get something. We didn't have any fancy sungoggles or anything like that. The sky got darker and the birds were pretty quiet except for one Northern Flicker who didn't seem to mind all of it. The video was a joke: just a big white blob in the middle of the screen. I guess I could have done something stupid like the Tweeter-in-Chief and looked right at it, but it seemed like that wasn't a good idea. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RichP

RichP
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 9:38 pm 
The Lead Dog wrote:
Seeing people getting together, sharing glasses and laughing would be a better for me than the actual event.
Yeah, people were actually interacting on the street with complete strangers in Seattle. It usually takes an earthquake, fire or eclipse for that to happen.

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 9:47 pm 
Would have liked to have seen totality, but was pretty cool seeing the partial. It was interesting seeing it grow darker and feeling the temp drop. Looking forward to pics from some of the better photographers here. a couple basic shots my wife and I took.
eclipse
eclipse
eclipse
eclipse
eclipse
eclipse
eclipse
eclipse

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 11:01 pm 
Made a last second decision to sneak into my home state to experience totality w/o clouds

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 4:37 am 
The Eclipse. By Dave Workman The sky darkened a bit. There were strange shadows. Then it was over. The End. cool.gif shakehead.gif suuure.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 6:40 am 
puzzlr wrote:
I stayed in Seattle. It's not a great photo, but projecting the image from binoculars onto a white screen created an image about 6" across -- a lot more fun to watch than from a pinhole image.
Eclipse projected through binoculars
Eclipse projected through binoculars
My wife and I watched it from the High Divide above Heart Lake. We had spent the night at Bruce's Roost, then packed up, hiked to a point in the trail with a good view, and I set up a rock and projected the image through my binoculars. We noticed a rapid drop in temperature - I had to put on a fleece sweater..

The only easy day was yesterday...
Joe

Joe
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 am 
Photos from Baker City OR
Eclipse Starts
Eclipse Starts
Solar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse
Almost Totality
Almost Totality
Totality
Totality
Totality is over
Totality is over
Solar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse
Eclipse is about to end
Eclipse is about to end

Joe
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 am 
We partied with friends on high ground E of Madras OR. What I saw and experienced defies description and cannot be captured in pixels. Wow, it was a remarkable show. We turned to the W just as the Bailey's Beads formed to watch the abrupt darkening of the land to our W (including Mt. Jefferson). Mt. Hood, which was N of the totality zone, continued lit by sunlight during totality for our viewpoint. Watching the corona and solar flares through high quality binoculars during totality was awe-inspiring. The experience greatly exceeded my very high expectations. My hometown in OH is smack in the middle of the 2024 totality zone, although we'll watch the weather forecast before going firm on a viewing spot.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 10:08 am 
On a beach on Whidbey Island - at 50% the temperature started dropping quickly and fog banks started to form and move. At the peak, the water went from flat calm to a sudden series of 1ft waves. A heron on the beach sat down. It warmed back up quickly in the half hour after the peak.

bertman

bertman
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 10:43 am 
I'll post pics later but I went backpacking near Duffy Lake in Mount Jefferson Wilderness. I just want to say, WTF is up with WA DOT? Coming back on I5, Tacoma was down to a single lane due to construction. Are you effin' kiddin' me? One of the busiest travel dates and you decide to close down lanes? That's an extra hour in traffic I did not need. I also heard I90 Snoqualmie Pass was closed down for several hours due to rock blasting. Again, WHY? The total solar eclipse is not a surprise. Why would you schedule closures and lane restrictions on that day?

FJES6
Will Belay for Food

FJES6
Will Belay for Food
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 am 
A friend and I decided to drive up to the Whitechuck mountain trailhead. In addition to the great views it got colder and the birds and bugs died down. Not bad at all!

Sincerely, Franklyn Joseph Esquire Sebille the 6th Http://www.summitpost.org/users/fjes6/68961 Alpinism is the art of suffering-Voytek Kurtyka
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 11:44 am 
Quote:
WTF is up with WA DOT?
No kidding. I especially liked the closed snoqualmie pass for blasting, which could easily have been postponed a day. Also the 82 bridge over the Columbia river was down a lane in either direction with no apparent work actually being done. Now we got in ahead of it and experienced little problems, but I doubt those behind us were so lucky. Why has lanes of I90 east been closed near exits 34 and 38 all summer to replace what looks like a few hundred feet of road? Only the most staggering incompetence could have led to such choices. I will note that the 169 repaving project seems to have been done well... replacing the entire road surface in Renton over a few weekend nights. Which just goes to show how ineptly those other projects are being run.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 11:55 am 
Schroder wrote:
On a beach on Whidbey Island - at 50% the temperature started dropping quickly and fog banks started to form and move. At the peak, the water went from flat calm to a sudden series of 1ft waves. A heron on the beach sat down. It warmed back up quickly in the half hour after the peak.
This is one of the best stories yet, Schroder. I didn't notice any particular natural phenomena (other than the partial eclipse, shadows and minor cooling) at the highest hill (520') in Seattle and I talked to several friends and family who viewed the totality down South. They definitely had a fantastic experience with the corona, planets and stars. But your beach side experience is noteworthy. ~z