Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Daniel J. Evans Wilderness ceremony
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 10:17 am 
'A fitting tribute' - great story & photos by Linda Mapes, Seattle Times "Asked what he loves about the Olympics, Evans got an enchanted, faraway look. And said: 'The first thing I want to do when I am hiking in the Olympics is just get off- trail. And just be out there. And there is no visible sign that anybody has ever been there. There is something about that.'" Ceremony - Peninsula Daily News Daniel J. Evans Olympic National Park Wilderness Act of 2016

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 am 
Dan Evans is a good man and a champion of the environment. I would love to see more politicians with his rational moderate approach. No disrespect to Dan Evans and his family (one of whom was a friend for awhile) but do we really need to name another wild place after a powerful white guy? IMO, just as McKinley > Denali was a good move, Olympic to Dan Evans Olympic is a bad move.

trestle

trestle
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 11:09 am 
Considering all that he has done and all that he stands for, his race doesn't and shouldn't matter. While I don't care for the mouthful of the new name, it's an appropriate memorial. The comparison with Denali is a little thin; McKinley (the man) had nothing to do with Denali National Park nor Alaska whereas Dan Evans was very active in ONP and in Washington.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 12:06 pm 
My point is that wilderness is wilderness because of the lack of human development and other human impacts. Naming wild places after powerful elite white guys seems antithetical to that. But don't worry. Your side will win and the powerful elite will continue to name wild places after fellow members of the powerful elite. Again, no disrespect to Dan Evans nor his family.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 1:27 pm 
Steve, you gotta damn good point there, and personally I never thought a hell of a lot of Evans as far as his overall political views, but he was a hell of a finagler and deal-maker, right up there almost on a par level with Lyndon Johnson - and he definitely was a champion for wilderness. And stop and consider that our largest National Forest is named for one of the quintessential "elite white guys", Gifford Pinchot. Just par for the course, maybe. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
trestle

trestle
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 pm 
Without powerful elite white guys like Evans and Pinchot, there likely wouldn't be any designated national wilderness. Jest sayin. wink.gif Of course they were the only ones in office when the designations were made but those are just facts after all clown.gif There are plenty of wilderness areas, in fact a wide majority of them, that aren't named after elite people of any sort.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 7:49 pm 
^ quite true.... probably the whitest and most elite out of the whole bunch of them did more for wilderness than all the rest: Theodore and Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 pm 
I'm opposed to naming individual Wilderness areas after any persons - living or dead. I remember cringing in '84 when the central ID "River of no Return Wilderness' got re-named the "Frank Church River of....". Likewise, 1988 saw the Stephen Mather wilderness in NCNP. By now there are probably others? What's next? The Ryan Zinke Wilderness? The James Watt Wilderness? The Earl Butz Wilderness? The Sonny Perdue Chicken Feedlot Wilderness? After all, they all held top positions in the Interior/Agriculture Departments, right? There used to be a regulation/policy/convention in the USFS that W areas could NOT be named after people. But of course, Congress can do as they like....

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 pm 
trestle wrote:
Without powerful elite white guys like Evans and Pinchot, there likely wouldn't be any need to protect the wilderness because it wouldn't have been completely raped in the first place
fixed it for ya
Ski wrote:
^ quite true.... probably the whitest and most elite out of the whole bunch of them did more for wilderness than all the rest: Theodore and Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
I usually respect your posts, but this one I don't get. The entire western hemisphere was wilderness before the powerful elite European settlers systematically slaughered the natives and destroyed the wilderness in the spirit of Manifest Destiny, i.e., the fundamentally flawed notion that white European invaders could somehow improve the perfection of nature in the image of their contrived western diety. The powerful elite peddled that dogma while they destroyed 98% of North American wilderness. What Teddy and Franklin and Dan and Frank did was merely a salvage job after 98% of the NA wilderness was destroyed. The essence of wilderness is the lack of human control. Name the Wilderness Areas for mammals or birds or glaciers or lakes or other natural things fer chrissake. If you want to memorialize Dan Evans, name a bridge or a reservoir or a city park or a highway for him.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
I usually respect your posts, but this one I don't get. The entire western hemisphere was wilderness before the powerful elite European settlers systematically slaughered the natives and destroyed the wilderness in the spirit of Manifest Destiny, i.e., the fundamentally flawed notion that white European invaders could somehow improve the perfection of nature in the image of their contrived western diety. The powerful elite peddled that dogma while they destroyed 98% of North American wilderness. What Teddy and Franklin and Dan and Frank did was merely a salvage job after 98% of the NA wilderness was destroyed. Name the Wilderness Areas for mammals or birds or glaciers or lakes or other natural things fer chrissake. Why? Because it's wilderness.
Steve Steve Steve.... take a deep breath, man. Did you read my first post here in response to yours? I think you've really misconstrued what I said (or meant to say) there. There's no question things were all wild in pre-Columbian times, and would have remained so if white settlers hadn't been hellbent on plowing, cutting, strip mining, diking, or otherwise altering the entire North American landscape, along with all of the "Robber Barons" who blazed a trail of clearcuts and railroad right-of-ways across the continent. What Theodore and Franklin did was indeed a "salvage job", but they did it in the face of, and in spite of, fierce opposition not just from the industrialists who had vested interests in exploiting what little remained of what was wild, but from members of their own political parties. Had they not done so, we probably wouldn't have a National Park Service. Had it not been for FDR, we would most certainly not have an Olympic National Park. Had it not been for the political machinations of FDR and his trusted henchman Harold Ickes we would most certainly not have a Queets Corridor or a Kalaloch Coastal Strip as part of Olympic National Park. Remember that Taft, Roosevelt's (hand picked) successor, made all kinds of compromises on the achievements that TR had accomplished. Things would not be as they are today had it not been for those two men. And just in case it wasn't clear enough: I thought I said above I didn't disagree with you about the naming of Wilderness Areas after people. What's the rationale behind that? Did they run out of high schools and libraries to name after elite white guys?

trestle

trestle
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 11:20 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
trestle wrote:
Without powerful elite white guys like Evans and Pinchot, there likely wouldn't be any need to protect the wilderness because it wouldn't have been completely raped in the first place
fixed it for ya
Oh please, raping the environment is clearly not isolated to powerful elite white guys. It wasn't then and it isn't now. And what a nice atom bomb to drop on a reasonable conversation. Clearly you disapprove, and have made your point; let's move along now.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 23, 2017 8:08 am 
Ski wrote:
Steve Steve Steve.... take a deep breath, man.
Did that and I'm still find your plea wholly unpersuasive.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 23, 2017 9:37 am 
okay.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 23, 2017 2:10 pm 
Please tell me how the above timberline areas would have been completely "raped". I also don't care for you to be using that term, although you aren't throwing it around like Slugman was. There are areas of "old growth" that still exist in the non-wilderness simply because it was and is too expensive to reach. Economic reality has "protected"areas and would also protect the high elevations, unless there were minerals that could be removed economically. To imply that everywhere would be destroyed if it weren't for a politician is exaggeration. In fact, by creating wilderness areas, you create a magnet that attracts all those hordes of people that are complained about. I like remembering the Dan Evans days. We had a much smaller population, good roads and the state seemed prosperous, but I was a kid so maybe it wasn't really that way. I also don't like naming areas and bridges after politicians.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 23, 2017 8:29 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
"...your plea..."
After considerable thought about that part of your statement, I have to tell you that I find it hilarious. There's no "plea", Steve. All I did above there was iterate a few facts. Sorry that you seem to have a problem with facts. I can't change history, sorry. lol.gif Oh... and one more note: the " 2% " number is a bunch of BS. There is nothing that substantiates that claim. Nothing. None. Zip. NADA. It's a number that some guy at one of the environmental activist groups pulled out of the sky - made up of whole cloth. Can't believe you actually bought into that one. lol.gif