Forum Index > Stewardship > 'Environmental Nightmare' After Thousands Of Atlantic Salmon Escape Fish Farm 08/24/17
Previous :: Next Topic  
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 5:18 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Wednesday, October 2, 2019 14:57 PDT

WDFW NEWS RELEASE

WDFW seeks SEPA public comment on Cooke Aquaculture farming of rainbow trout/steelhead

OLYMPIA – Yesterday, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) began a 21-day public comment period regarding Cooke Aquaculture’s proposal to farm sterile (triploid) rainbow trout/steelhead in Puget Sound.

The Department posted a State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) mitigated determination of non-significance that analyzes the environmental impacts of Cooke’s proposal to transition from farming Atlantic salmon to farming steelhead in several of the company’s existing facilities. These facilities include four net pens located near Rich Passage and Skagit Bay, but in the future may cover three more Puget Sound net pens currently owned by Cooke.

“Given the escape of Atlantic salmon in 2017, we know that there is a heightened sense of concern around the impacts of fish aquaculture in Puget Sound,” said WDFW Fish Program Director Kelly Cunningham. “We want to hear from the public about Cooke Aquaculture’s proposal and our proposed permit requirements.”

In addition to agreeing to farm only sterile fish, Cooke will also need to prescreen any fish destined for net pens in Washington waters to ensure that they are free of disease.

Cooke submitted a five-year Marine Aquaculture Permit application to WDFW in January 2019, and a SEPA Environmental Checklist with supporting documents in July 2019.

WDFW continues to work with its natural resource agency partners to provide oversight and ensure compliance with the terms of aquaculture permits and leases in Puget Sound. Cooke’s proposal would also be subject to additional regulatory review by WDFW’s sister state agencies before the proposed transition could take place.

The public is asked to submit comments by Oct. 22, 2019. The determination, including ways to comment, and supporting documents can be found at: https://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/environmental/sepa/open-comments.

-WDFW-

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 6:35 pm 
Monday October 14, 2019 15:51 PDT

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE 

Yakima River fall salmon fishery to close

Action: Closes the Yakima River to fishing for salmon.

Effective date: Sunday, Oct. 20, 2019.

Species affected: Salmon.

Location: From the Hwy. 240 bridge in Richland (river mile 2.1) to the Grant Avenue Bridge in Prosser (river mile 47.0) approximately 1,000 feet downstream of Prosser Dam.

Reason for action: Fall Chinook are returning in extremely low numbers to the Yakima River. This closure is necessary to meet conservation and hatchery broodstock collection needs for fall Chinook and coho in the Yakima River Basin.

Additional information: Saturday, Oct. 19 will be the last day to fish for salmon in the Yakima River this fall. This year's return of fall Chinook to the Yakima River is expected to be the lowest return on record over the past 28 years.

-WDFW-

(* emphasis added *)

--------------
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts

Huge Member
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 3:16 am 
This turned out be another big nothing.
Some fish got out. That's it.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat

MtnGoat

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 am 
The failure of the predicted apocalypse is nothing new, but the fears will spike once again with the next predicted apocalypse.... while the failure will be forgotten.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brian R

Brian R

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:07 pm 
They THRIVE on it. (Allcaps for effect.)
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:21 pm 
There won't be any apocalypse because the legislature in Olympia has effectively put the kibosh on Cooke and the aquaculture industry here.

They're done here. There are good reasons why they're not allowed in California, Oregon, and Alaska.

--------------
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts

Huge Member
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 pm 
Ski wrote:
There won't be any apocalypse because the legislature in Olympia has effectively put the kibosh on Cooke and the aquaculture industry here.

They're done here. There are good reasons why they're not allowed in California, Oregon, and Alaska.

The event in the first post of this thread was supposed to be an environmental apocalypse.
Nice try moving the goal posts though.
Gregory

Gregory

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 10:55 am 
https://www.knkx.org/post/cooke-aquaculture-partners-jamestown-sklallam-tribe-farm-native-fish-salish-sea
MtnGoat

MtnGoat

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 11:42 am 
Ski wrote:

I question that those reasons are good, since many of them are predicated upon the same arguments that posited the apocalypse in the first place.

Look at the release on the page top here.

Given the 2017 escapes...which did not result in the predicted/posited outcomes.

"we know that there is a heightened sense of concern around the impacts of fish aquaculture in Puget Sound"...heightened senses and feelings of concern due to predictions which do not pan out pushed by people opposing industry from the git go,  are not objective reasons to back govt actions.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 9:16 pm 
As disinclined as I am to even bother responding to the above posts, I'll indulge you here:

MtnGoat wrote:
I question that those reasons are good, since many of them are predicated upon the same arguments that posited the apocalypse in the first place.

Look at the release on the page top here.

First of all, I didn't write the article, nor did I write the headline of the article in the original post of this thread.
If you have an issue with the language used, you should write a letter (or email) to the author of the article or their copy editor.

If by "release", you're talking about the WDFW newsletter above of October 2, that was written by somebody at WDFW.
If you've got an issue with the language used in the release, their web site has a "contact us" tab on it somewhere.

My arguments are not based solely on the information contained in the article of the original post.
I took the time to read about the subject. There are all kinds of articles, peer-reviewed papers, and videos on the web. Some of them have to be taken with a grain of salt, certainly, but overall they paint a rather dismal picture of the "aquaculture" industry as a whole - not only concerning salmon in Puget Sound, but also other aquatic species (e.g., shrimp and tilapia) which are farmed globally.

I would suggest that some in-depth research on the issue would most likely allow you to have a greater understanding of the issue in a larger context.

Feel free to dismiss the arguments against aquaculture based solely on one admittedly rather alarmist press release - I can understand why somebody would do that if they were not inclined to investigate further - but don't expect me to change my mind, or accept your opinions regarding the matter as valid, because candidly, I honestly do not believe you really have any grasp of the larger picture where "aquaculture" is concerned - it's not just about salmon in Puget Sound.

As for the other comments above - just more noisemaking in an attempt to get attention.

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Stewardship > 'Environmental Nightmare' After Thousands Of Atlantic Salmon Escape Fish Farm 08/24/17
  Happy Birthday User-Name, OutOfOffice!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: