Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bucking Lookout Mtn trail (Twisp) with Ranger Mike Liu, 08.24.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KarlK

KarlK
PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 pm 
I've acquired a real fondness for doing trail work with vintage crosscut saws. This development stems, in large measure, from some first rate training and related support by a number of terrific folks from Backcountry Horsemen of Washington; a particularly heartfelt "thanks" goes out to Tom Mix, Tony Karniss, and Tom Faubion for their generous efforts on behalf of my entry into crosscut saw work. Another key supporter in this effort is Mike Liu, the District Ranger for the Okanogan National Forest. I first met Mike in 2013 during the Mebee Pass lookout restoration project (https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8007562), and then interacted with him again this summer during a hazard fuel reduction operation in the Methow (http://methowvalleynews.com/2017/06/14/team-rubicon-takes-on-mcclure-mountain/) with a teriffic outfit named Team Rubicon (https://teamrubiconusa.org/). Mike's been with the forest service for 35 years, and as you will see, he still likes to get out and hike and do trail work (which I understand to be a relatively rare quality among District Rangers). I recently acquired a gorgeous pre-WW2 crosscut saw, which my wife promptly named Gladys. Gladys is a 61" beauty suitable for both single and double bucking. She's been restored to perfection, and if you've never operated a properly sharpened vintage crosscut saw, you should. Trust me here. Such saws literally sing to you while in use (https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm04232822/page14.htm)
Gladys, a 61" beauty made prior to WW2
Gladys, a 61" beauty made prior to WW2
When I informed Mike about Gladys, he immediately extended an invitation to go "cut some bigger logs" on the Lookout Mountain trail, a popular hike that begins about 6.5 miles out of Twisp.
Lookout Mtn lookout, 08.24.17
Lookout Mtn lookout, 08.24.17
Normally, one could log this trail using chainsaws, but chainsaw use is currently prohibited owing to high fire danger. Hence, a perfect excuse to get out there with a crosscut saw. That trail is now free of logs.
Ranger -Sawyer Mike Liu, Lookout Mtn trail, 08.24.17
Ranger -Sawyer Mike Liu, Lookout Mtn trail, 08.24.17
Mke Liu giving back to the trail, 80.24.17
Mke Liu giving back to the trail, 80.24.17
KarlK & Gladys_08.24.17
KarlK & Gladys_08.24.17
Non-trivial pursuit, 08.24.17
Non-trivial pursuit, 08.24.17
More fun, 08.24.17
More fun, 08.24.17
Pretty good size log
Pretty good size log
Wedges- a sawyers best friend
Wedges- a sawyers best friend
Progress, 08.24.17
Progress, 08.24.17
KarlK having fun, 08.24.17
KarlK having fun, 08.24.17
Task appropriate brew
Task appropriate brew

Karl J Kaiyala
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Aug 25, 2017 9:02 pm 
Good effort, KK and Mike. Gladys is a beauty!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 7:21 am 
Good on ya mate!! I just did a BCRT with WTA at Soda Springs on the Bumping River where we cut about 62 trees in 2 days. It's a blast. Thanks for your work!!! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Chico

Chico
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 10:40 am 
Don't let Tom, Tom and Tony see these photos. They'd take your saw away. Always strip the bark where you intend to saw or you'll be sharpening that saw a whole lot more often!

littlebit

littlebit
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 10:56 am 
Thanks much for the trail work. Also, thanks for the instructive pictures. I had always wondered how a crosscut saw could get through large logs without pinching. I had suspected the use of wedges but wasn't sure until now.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 11:18 am 
nice work. up.gif
littlebit wrote:
"...always wondered how a crosscut saw could get through large logs without pinching..."
wedges are indispensable - for chainsaws as well - you can try back cuts, but a properly placed wedge will save you a lot of grief. pinching a bar on a chainsaw can get real spendy these days.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
KarlK

KarlK
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 1:13 pm 
Chico wrote:
Don't let Tom, Tom and Tony see these photos. They'd take your saw away. Always strip the bark where you intend to saw or you'll be sharpening that saw a whole lot more often!
Oh crud! I'll ask for special dispensation and plead ingnoramus.

Karl J Kaiyala
KarlK

KarlK
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 1:21 pm 
Hey wait a minute Chico -- we did pre debark most of the stuff we cut, just not every one of them. In fact, you can see debarked examples in the pictures. Next time, Tom, Tony and Tom, 100%, promise!

Karl J Kaiyala
Chico

Chico
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 10:55 pm 
Was crosscut certified by Tom Faubion on June 11 and he was very insistent on the debarking. Bill Rodwell who was with him, same way. Given what it takes to sharpen I fully agree. And if you run it into the dirt..... Tom by the way had a bunch of saws to give away to good homes. So if you need another he might still have some but he put the word out and there was interest. Given that sharpening is an art BCH has a few folks qualified. Not sure of exact numbers. But they send them to class in Montana for a solid week. Two people went this year. Others from around the country. You can learn how to repair broken teeth as well. For those who might be wondering just why you want to go to the trouble of debarking - the bark traps and holds an unbelievable amount of dirt. It's easy enough to skin it off using an axe. You'll want to go all the way round the log.

Chico

Chico
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 10:56 pm 
So it looks like Mike was on duty. Wearing a radio. I assume as district ranger he's on call 24/7. Especially during fire season.

KarlK

KarlK
PostSun Aug 27, 2017 8:44 am 
Chico wrote:
So it looks like Mike was on duty.
Yup; he said he would need to do his computer work until about midnight to make up for the saw, ax and pulaski work. My experience is that Mike works long hours.

Karl J Kaiyala
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Aug 27, 2017 5:38 pm 
Thanks for your hard work! And the photos - very informational.

KarlK

KarlK
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 8:27 pm 
Kat wrote:
And the photos - very informational
Thanks Kat; I have a lot to learn (!) , but fortunately, I have some great people helping with that. As Mike said while we were doing this, "trails don't just magically maintain themselves." Roger that. Karl

Karl J Kaiyala
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 8:53 pm 
Great work, Karl! Fun to see Gladys. Glad that you have had the chance to get out with Mike Liu again after the Mebee Pass LO reconstruction. I wonder how close he is to his goal of hiking ALL the trails in his district.

KarlK

KarlK
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 9:03 pm 
Jetlag wrote:
Quote Selected Text
Great question -- I'll ask him and report back. As should be crystal clear, Mike's not a standard-issue modern type of ranger, rather he's got the classic ranger ways in his bones.

Karl J Kaiyala