Forum Index > Trail Talk > Jolly Mountain Fires
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chico

Chico
PostWed Aug 30, 2017 5:24 pm 
Teanaway Road now closed at the West/Middle Fork junction. All residents of the West/Middle and North Fork being evacuated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostWed Aug 30, 2017 9:54 pm 
CC wrote:
As site I linked above predicted, Stevens is clear today, no smoke.
FWIW - I climbed Maude and 7 Fingered Jack on Tuesday, and conditions were super smoky, very bad. Looked like tons of smoke throughout the Entiat and the Glacier Peak Wilderness. But on Wednesday there was still some haze on the eastern side of the crest, but noticeably less than the day before. So maybe (fingers crossed!) things are getting better.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Aug 31, 2017 3:03 pm 
I just got back from a Goldmyer Hotsprings to Waptus lake to PCT then back to I-90 loop on the 28th. The smoke was highly variable -- some days the smoke would literally wake me up, other days there wasn't so much. But it seemed to get worse as time passed. At least from Waptus river back to I-90 as of 8/28, none of the PCT in section J was closed. The trail to Pete Lake from the PCT was closed, but mostly (I was told) because they were worried the fire could reach the Pete Lake access road coming from Salmon la Sac (which as most know, isn't far from Jolly Mtn). I met one hiker whose plan was to take that very trail and meet up with his 80+ year old father at the Pete Lake trailhead and get a ride back. To my surprise, he somehow sent a text message to his dad and told him to drive around the road closed signs and continue with the original plan!

contour5

contour5
PostThu Aug 31, 2017 6:17 pm 
Cleared considerably yesterday and today out around Ramparts/Lila/Alta Pass. Was smokey the previous 3 mornings, clearing somewhat in the afternoons. Monday and Tuesday I could see a vertical column of smoke- by Wed afternoon it was a horizontal brown cloud. Blew off half my planned trip and then walked out under clear skies...arrrg...boohoohoo...argh...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Cleared considerably yesterday and today out around Ramparts/Lila/Alta Pass.
The wind picked up and blew the smoke over here E o' the crest.

cartman

cartman
PostThu Aug 31, 2017 7:36 pm 
007 wrote:
on Wednesday there was still some haze on the eastern side of the crest, but noticeably less than the day before. So maybe (fingers crossed!) things are getting better.
Likely more due to wind direction, the fires are burning hot and still far from being contained.

Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostThu Aug 31, 2017 8:16 pm 
Smoke here in Ellensburg from both the Jolly Mountain fire and the Norse Peak Complex. Jolly Mtn appears to be fought mostly from the air but it grew by 3,000 acres yesterday. There's a huge plume of smoke visible here from the Norse Peak fires. As of this morning the Jolly fire was listed as zero percent contained.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Sep 02, 2017 6:10 am 
Level 2 evacuation notice includes all of Ronald and Roslyn. https://www.co.kittitas.wa.us/press/default.aspx?prID=9981

Chico

Chico
PostSat Sep 02, 2017 7:49 am 
Cle Elum on level 1. Asked to bring my 92 yo mother here for now. Younger brother just south of the Last Resort. Says he's staying. Ex USFS and wildfire so he's comfortable with that decision. Some going to nephews in Eburg if they have to. Older sister has horses already farmed out elsewhere. Her chickens I guess will be on their own if they have to go.

Chico

Chico
PostSat Sep 02, 2017 7:51 am 
Navy salad wrote:
To my surprise, he somehow sent a text message to his dad and told him to drive around the road closed signs and continue with the original plan!
Unbelievable! Some people are simply born stupid.

BdCast

BdCast
PostSat Sep 02, 2017 8:04 am 
Latest inciweb annoucement about evacuations... Kittitas County, WA - 09/02/2017 - The Kittitas County Sheriff’s Office has updated the following evacuation notices for the Jolly Mountain Fire: Level 3 – all residences north of Double O Ranch Road all the way north to the Boulder Creek area Level 2 – all residences between Double O Ranch Road and Ronald; the entire town of Ronald; the entire City of Roslyn to the Bullfrog Road roundabout; Cle Elum Ridge (including Summit View Road, Ridge View Drive, Big Sky Vista Drive, Horizon Ridge Drive, Deer Creek Road, Meadow Ridge Drive, Big Tail Road, Forest Ridge Road, Jack Pine Drive, Game Trail Road, Owl Ridge Drive, Timber Tiger Drive, Lum Road, the north part of White Road, Lannigan Springs Road, Winch Road, Buena View Road, Adobe Road) Level 1 – Suncadia Resort; all residences/homes south of SR 903 and north of I-90 from Bullfrog Road to Cle Elum city limits; the City of Elum north of I-90; east of Cle Elum and north of Airport Road. Law enforcement officials are actively notifying residents of the Level 3 and Level 2 advisories. The Red Cross shelter is open at the Putnam Centennial Center, 719 E. 3rd Street, Cle Elum, for any evacuees needing a place to stay. Anyone needing evacuation assistance for animals or livestock can call the EOC, 509-933-8305, for animal shelter information. Stay informed on evacuations and general fire information with the following resources: Kittitas County Emergency Operations Center: (509) 933-8305 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kittitas-County-Sheriff- 580139428811803/ Jolly Mountain Fire Information: (509) 596-2423 Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/news/5496// Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jollymountainfireinfo/ Press Release 9-2-17 Evac Updates Letterhead.pdf Kittitas County, from the Cascades to the Columbia, and online at http://www.co.kittitas.wa.us ### Contact: Jill Beedle, Public Information Officer 509-933-8308

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Sep 02, 2017 9:35 am 
Vibes to all in the evac alert zones

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSat Sep 02, 2017 12:16 pm 
Sure, all the dead trees promote fire intensity and propagation. Interesting how the snags also restrict options for fire suppression strategy. Sort of like a fire that starts out small in an abandoned building too dangerous for a quick, interior stop. Observers wonder why crews allowed the fire to get so out of hand and burn through the roof. Great summary on the spruce budworm and the Jolly Mountain Fire.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Sep 02, 2017 1:56 pm 
Very informative. Thanks for sharing. Log the largest fire (and pest) resistant trees, then suppress subsequent fires. In march the spruce budworm. What could go wrong?

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Sep 02, 2017 1:59 pm 
That's a great explanation on the forest's condition over time and then the recent Spruce Budworm infestation these past several years. Thanks for posting, jimmymac. Meanwhile I just noticed this video of water tankers loading up at Cle Elum Lake two days ago. ~z