Forum Index > Trip Reports > Six Ridge Trail and Mt Olson, ONP, Sept 1-4, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 12:26 pm 
grey heckle wrote:
???? Is the Five ridge trail still findable ? Did that about 22 yrs ago to the Oly Park Wonder Lakes. At 82, can't remember many details about the trip.
From McGravey Lakes, an elk trail heads that way, but I've not followed it. (I assume elk drop into Six Stream basin, rather than staying on the ridge?) Or did you mean from the N Fk Skok? Most enter from the S Fk Skok via FS2356 near Steel Creek (detailed in Phil's trip report) or direct up a ridge from the upper S Fk Skok Trail. Never heard of a human-built Five Ridge trail... pray tell us more of your route!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 8:37 pm 
I'd love to check out and explore a "five ridge trail" if there had ever been one. The route I'd heard of to that location was the same route RodF mentions, from the N Fk. Skok side (several other TRs here from folks like Ranger Rock, Criminal in addition to Phil). The terrain from my photos looked OK'ish, as a pass over 5-rdige, if one could find a good route to traverse around from just below Six Ridge pass to that point. As I recall one of the older TRs on this site specifically mentioned completing a "challenging" loop from Staircase, though it sounded like a real brush-bash (would need to allow a lot of extra time to complete depending on terrain conditions etc). I was on a bit of a time-crunch so I was not able to poke around much there to look for a route.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
ForbinsAscent

ForbinsAscent
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 1:15 pm 
[posted in this TR because it was the most relevant thread I could find] What an intriguing loop this would be: Upper S. Fork Skok trailhead > hike downstream ~1 mile > ford river > continue a little bit on trail then bushwhack up to the FS road > hike road north to Steel Creek area > follow the sideslope route up to the Wonder Mountain lakes now the big adventure would be the traverse between Wonder Mountain lakes and [the lake which bears a name that could be considered "opposite" of Lake Sundown], which is located ESE of Sundown After that lake > follow a route to the Six Ridge trail. That route I have found on a map online, and it meets the Six Ridge trail a short distance east of Six Ridge Pass > take Six Ridge Trail to Upper S. Fork Skok trail > follow that trail back to car at Upper S. Fork Skok trailhead > enjoy a cold beer from cooler I am guessing (based on aerial images) the traverse along/near Five Ridge would probably be above my comfort level, but I hope to at least get a good look at that section of the loop later this summer. If anyone has done this, I am up for a PM.

Bruce

Bruce
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 7:43 am 
Erin & I did a patrol from Wynnochee to Sundown to Sunup then to Boundary Lakes and to Wonder Lakes exiting 2494 old road/Steel Creek and on another Mount Olsen/Lake Success not visited very much and in times past Wonder Lakes were good fishing.