Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fatal Black Bear Attack in Alaska (corrected)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 3:50 pm 
Black bear kills runner in Alaska: NYPost Article features picture of black bear. Note: Edited to reflect that the bear was a black bear, not a grizzly!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm 
Article also says it was a black bear...no mention of a grizzly that I can see in either the article or the headline (did they correct it?). Interesting that the boy had time to text a family member that he was being chased by a bear.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 7:32 pm 
Black bears kill 2 in Alaska, including teen in extreme race "Later Monday, a second fatal mauling at the hands of a black bear was reported nearly 300 miles northeast of Anchorage. Officials with an underground gold mine reported a contract employee hired to take geological samples was killed and another injured in a black bear attack." It's not just the brown bears or grizzly bears you need to worry about. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 7:56 pm 
This certainly is a sad story. frown.gif The boy had reached the uphill turnaround point and was descending. He may have gotten off trail and then encountered the bear. They are still trying to figure this out. Meanwhile there's an active search for the bear, now wounded. They are using a Karelian Bear Dog. More information and photos in this story in the Alaska Dispatch News. ~z

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 9:07 am 
To any predator, if it runs, it's dinner! That's one problem with running out in the wild. It seems to be runners and cyclists who attract cougar attacks, too.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 12:43 am 
texasbb wrote:
Interesting that the boy had time to text a family member that he was being chased by a bear.
My suspicion is he was not being chased, but was instead stalked. Have seen videos of this kind of a behavior. Really chilling as they slowly follow you while making up their mind. The way they are looking at you and moving it should be obvious that you are in real trouble. Minus weapons or spray you still have some chance at this point either by escaping (not running but slowly backing away while remaining big and loud) to a safe place like a car or house or becoming aggressive and convincing the bear your not worth the trouble. This would be a text book example of where playing dead is the absolute wrong choice. He was a small teen with nowhere safe to go. The texting was probably a smart maneuver as it could have brought help. Sad.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 6:53 am 
It sounds like a peradatory attack which are very rare here but more common in eastern Canada. When we were living there there was one person dragged out of an outhouse eek.gif. He was rescued by a friend who shot the be. We always carried spray there. I think it may be because the winter is much harder there.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 8:00 pm 
Black bears have attacked 2 hikers near Priest Lake this summer....the most recent one a jogger on a hiking trail, no sign of any cubs and seems to be a pretty much a non provoked attack. http://www.krem.com/news/local/bonner-county/man-attacked-by-bear-at-priest-lake/461135495 Btw...why are so many bear threads locked? Are bears becoming another item that can't be mentioned? clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 pm 
Trail running deep in bear country, especially alone, has never struck me as being wise.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 8:21 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Btw...why are so many bear threads locked? Are bears becoming another item that can't be mentioned? clown.gif
Because they all turn into the item that cannot be mentioned sooner or later rolleyes.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 8:27 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Trail running deep in bear country, especially alone, has never struck me as being wise.
True, and here in North Idaho there are a lot of bears, Griz and Black, plus a lot of Cougars (4 legged....2 legged not so much)...I will no longer hike here without the item that can't be mentioned...and solo over-night? Hell to the No! This trail was not really deep in bear country but near the shores of Priest Lake heading south from Elkins resort and the previous attack this summer was not far from the visitors center on Hwy 57 near the Priest river. Not safe anywhere apparently. The article said they weren't sure if it was the same bear from the previous attack...that's very unlikely since the other attack was 15 miles south and cubs were involved. In the first attack we heard that the first responders scared the bear away with sticks, they did not even bring the item that can't be mentioned even though they knew someone had been seriously injured by the bear. (she was able to call a family member with her cell phone during the attack).

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 8:43 pm 

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 10:49 pm 
That's not actually funny. You could replace the picture of the bear with a human, have the same caption, and it would be MUCH MORE ACCURATE, AS WELL AS HAPPEN A LOT MORE OFTEN - BY ORDERS and ORDERS OF MAGINITUDE.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 11:08 pm 
Maybe it's not a coincidence that both attacks happened near water given the heat wave and drought conditions? My Mom began putting out water for the tree squirrels after we saw a young one licking the damp concrete patio area. Btw...anyone know how to get rid of pocket gophers?

pcg

pcg
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 8:38 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
..anyone know how to get rid of pocket gophers?
I'll PM you since the solution is worse than the thing that cannot be mentioned.