Forum Index > Partners > Obscure, lesser-visited trails in the Olympics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Double_E

Double_E
PostFri Sep 01, 2017 4:57 pm 
So, I’m one of those people who has the inane obsession with eventually hiking, checking off, all of the trails of a certain area or park. For me it’s the Olympic Mountains. I’ve hiked about 70% of the 611 miles of trails in ONP, and a good portion of ONF trails, and am slowly checking off the rest. These are some of the UN-hiked trails on my list… give a holler if you want to go do one or more of these! biggrin.gif * Mt. Jupiter * Mt. Townsend via north route; Silver Creek trailhead * Six Ridge, from NF Skokomish River to Six Ridge Pass * Skyline Ridge, north from jct with Elip Creek trail, to Low Divide * Queets River, beyond the ~5 mile mark * South Snider-Jackson trail (Hoh -> Bogachiel trail) * Elwha River over Hayden Pass to Dose Meadows * Bogachiel River, beyond the 6-mile mark * Heather Park / Lake Angeles loop * Deer Park to Obstruction Point * Dodger Point * Aurora Ridge * NF Sol Duc River Also might be interested in off-trail routes, and scrambles up peaks. Other relevant info: 40-something here, with grumpy knees, so, prefer to not do anything with more than 4000 VF in one day… but, never say never. Currently unemployed, so, most weekdays are open! Cheers, -Ethan

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Sep 01, 2017 9:44 pm 
Hesman wrote:
the Aurora Ridge trail is non existant in a few spots; and the same goes for Six Ridge.
I believe the WTA has a BCRT working on the Six Ridge Trail throughout this holiday weekend.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 01, 2017 11:15 pm 
Double_E wrote:
* Queets River, beyond the ~5 mile mark
The Queets River Trail is in terrible condition this season. (see recent trip report here. ) The trail above Paradise Creek (above the area burned in 2015) is, from most reports, virtually impassable because of blowdowns in the burn area. (One recent report said they just followed the river through that section between Paradise and Pelton. see here.) Do not expect any trail maintenance to be done up there this season. You left the "Upper Crossing Way Trail" off of your list. It's still "findable" (at least the western half of it.) ( see here. scroll about halfway down. ) I have not been on the "Lower Crossing Way Trail" since the mid-1960's, and there haven't been any reports on it in years, although every time I go down and check the Lower Crossing campsite there always seems to be a well-trampled path leading to what was the trail at one time. No idea what condition it's in, though. There is some semblance of "trail" leading up to the north side of Kloochman Rock off of the 3000 line up above the Clearwater. (see recent report by bobbi here and recent report by Eric Willhite here.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Sep 02, 2017 6:55 am 
Hesman wrote:
You might have to wait a few years to do the Hayden Pass trail since there was a significant wildfire in the area last year.
When we were up the Elwha in mid-July, there was a trail crew up on the Hayden Pass trail doing a lot of work. According to them, a hiker hiked through from the Dosewallips, but we didn't talk to him. It might be in decent shape now - worth a call to the WIC if you're interested.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Double_E

Double_E
PostMon Sep 04, 2017 5:27 pm 
Thanks for the info, all! And especially Ski, with all the info about the Queets and all. Wow.
Hesman wrote:
Do you still have to do the Long Ridge trail to Dodger Point and the trail from Dodger Point to Remann's Cabin?
Yup, still need to do both of those.