Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gates of the Arctic & Koyukuk River (July 15 - 23, 2017)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OutOfOffice

OutOfOffice
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 11:34 pm 
A couple friends and I spent one week backpacking and packrafting in the Gates of the Arctic National Park in Alaska. We met up in Fairbanks and flew to Anaktuvuk Pass. The pass has been used for hundreds of years by humans and caribou alike to travel to and from the north slope through the Brooks Range. From Anaktuvuk we hiked east to Ernie Creek, followed it until we hit the North Fork of the Koyukuk River. Here, we inflated our rafts and floated down stream through Bob Marshal's Gates of the Arctic (Frigid Craigs + Boreal Mountain). We then followed the winter trail (or the marsh that it is in July) to Nolan, Alaska where our car was parked 3 miles down the road. Overall, we traveled over 100 miles (while lugging 50lb packs). The ubiquity of the tussock up there made for some grueling hiking. It was a trip of a lifetime. Hope you enjoy the photos!
Fairbanks. I borrowed a bike from a friend and had a great time exploring. Very bike friendly city.
Fairbanks. I borrowed a bike from a friend and had a great time exploring. Very bike friendly city.
Smooth Ride
Smooth Ride
The Bird
The Bird
Fearless Pilot
Fearless Pilot
Landed in Anaktuvuk Pass
Landed in Anaktuvuk Pass
Jimmy, the town chef. He rode in the plane with us and invited us for a bite before we headed out.
Jimmy, the town chef. He rode in the plane with us and invited us for a bite before we headed out.
A quaint reminder before we start.
A quaint reminder before we start.
We just started hiking from town.
We just started hiking from town.
lots of caribou bones around.
lots of caribou bones around.
Many river crossings on this trip. And I did not bring sandles! Huge mistake
Many river crossings on this trip. And I did not bring sandles! Huge mistake
Having slogged over Ernie's Pass, we are about to descend into Grizzly Creek and Ernie Creek.
Having slogged over Ernie's Pass, we are about to descend into Grizzly Creek and Ernie Creek.
Plenty of interesting wild flowers up there.
Plenty of interesting wild flowers up there.
A bit spooked after seeing our first bear, we trudge on with the headwaters in sight.
A bit spooked after seeing our first bear, we trudge on with the headwaters in sight.
The taiga turns into a marsh during the summer months resulting in consistently wet boots.
The taiga turns into a marsh during the summer months resulting in consistently wet boots.
Old bear trap.
Old bear trap.
Suddenly, thunderous noises in the distance.
Suddenly, thunderous noises in the distance.
The god of the gates appeared...
The god of the gates appeared...
...and told us to avoid this bear. You can just barely see him in the photo, but he was huge!
...and told us to avoid this bear. You can just barely see him in the photo, but he was huge!
Reflecting on what we just saw.
Reflecting on what we just saw.
We finally reached the North Fork!
We finally reached the North Fork!
The first part of the paddle was fast and required quick thinking and route finding. Super fun though!
The first part of the paddle was fast and required quick thinking and route finding. Super fun though!
The Gates! We camped between them our third night.
The Gates! We camped between them our third night.
Wolf tracks
Wolf tracks
Storm brewing
Storm brewing
Time to paddle in the rain.
Time to paddle in the rain.
The sun finally came out around 7-8pm and we found a place to dry out.
The sun finally came out around 7-8pm and we found a place to dry out.
We paddled until ~3am that night. Didn't even notice. Days and nights blended together.
We paddled until ~3am that night. Didn't even notice. Days and nights blended together.
UFOs
UFOs
Perfect night to paddle.
Perfect night to paddle.
More bear tracks on our hike out.
More bear tracks on our hike out.
Someone/something took a chomp out of these moose antlers.
Someone/something took a chomp out of these moose antlers.
hello
hello
Mmmmm....
Mmmmm....
Slogging into the mining camp of Nolan after some brutal marsh & tussock traversing. Still 3 miles left to the car, but at least we can put our bags down.
Slogging into the mining camp of Nolan after some brutal marsh & tussock traversing. Still 3 miles left to the car, but at least we can put our bags down.
Stay fresh
Stay fresh
Black gold
Black gold
Coldfoot camp. We came into town right in time for a buffet. I had essentially been fasting the last two days, so stuffing my face with food for 10 minutes resulted in some uncomfortable rumblings (to say the least). Food tasted great though.
Coldfoot camp. We came into town right in time for a buffet. I had essentially been fasting the last two days, so stuffing my face with food for 10 minutes resulted in some uncomfortable rumblings (to say the least). Food tasted great though.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 6:13 am 
Looks like a nice trip and good write up. Hunted off the Koyukuk river for moose. Did a float down the Kongukut river to the Bearing sea a few years back. Great trip. Thanks for posting your trip

Paul M

Paul M
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 am 
Great trip and pictures!!! A group of us spend 3 weeks in the Brooks Range this past June/July hiking and rafting the Hula Hula. Amazing country for sure. Your trip report gives me some more ideas for a return trip some day. Thanks for sharing!

neek

neek
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 7:45 am 
glad to finally see your pics, very cool!

drm

drm
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 8:04 am 
I saw the photo of a mosquito. July in the Arctic - how bad were they?

OutOfOffice

OutOfOffice
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 pm 
The mosquitoes were pretty bad between Anaktuvuk Pass and Ernie Creek. But, it definitely got much better the further south we went.