Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Real Poaching
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 5:17 pm 
The term "poaching" is thrown around on this site. Here is a link to an article about real poachers. Not hunters, poachers. Unfortunately, they were in my part of the world. Hope they get lots of jail time. Real Poachers

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 7:35 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
"Not hunters, poachers."
Unfortunately that probably won't be something that registers in the minds of the anti-hunting zealots. Sounds like a real classy bunch. It's possible that if WDFW wasn't pissing away so much of their resources on "wolf management" they might have money available to put boots on the ground in the way of law enforcement. When's the last time you saw a WDFW game warden? They were all over the place when I was a kid.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 pm 
Let me add: Funny that WDFW had enough manpower resources to do surveillance on private property owners in southern Thurston County, watching the activities of private property owners who were on their own property, looking for any reason they could to write citations and/or hassle private citizens, while enforcing an "Emergency Ordinance" to protect the Mazama Pocket Gophers, but a ring of poachers went on an unabated killing rampage for over a year before it came to their attention. Clearly WDFW has its priorities screwed up about seven ways from Sunday. (Shall we revisit the fiasco with the escaped Atlantic Salmon a couple weeks ago?) The incompetence and mismanagement of the agency is mind-boggling.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 8:22 pm 
Yes, it was. WDFW's response was to put out a press release asking anglers to go catch the escaped fish.

Chico

Chico
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 9:11 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Hope they get lots of jail time.
I'm hoping they get lots of death threats. Will make them think twice more so than anything the courts will do to them.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 9:44 pm 
Jaberwock: Yes, that would be the appropriate response. There is a group trying to do exactly that right now: wildfishconservancy.org Washington State is the only state on the west coast that allows it - Alaska, Oregon, and California have already banned it. Chico: I doubt death threats would be very effective. What might be effective is incarceration; serious fines; confiscation of weapons, vehicles, cellular phones, and any other items used in the commission of the crimes (i.e., their dogs, spotlights, GPS units, etc.)

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 4:41 am 
Chico wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Hope they get lots of jail time.
I'm hoping they get lots of death threats. Will make them think twice more so than anything the courts will do to them.
Chico: You realize, of course, you are advocating a serious crime on a public forum. That's not the way to solve the mismanagement — real or imagined — of a state wildlife agency. It's a good way to get into trouble. These people, if convicted, will get punished. Isn't it ironic that sportsmen and women in this state seem to be on the bottom rung of the importance ladder except when there's a mess to clean up, and then the WDFW calls on them to clean it up. Ski has it pegged pretty well. Wolves seem to get more attention than they deserve. It may be fashionable, but it doesn't protect the game herds, the waterfowl and upland fowl, small game, sport fisheries, etc.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 7:21 am 
My new neighbor is a game warden. I have not seen him around yet. Maybe he's been working on that case.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chico

Chico
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
Chico: You realize, of course, you are advocating a serious crime on a public forum.
Not advocating for it. "Hoping" for it to happen.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 am 
Well, it's counterproductive, illegal, and it most likely would only serve to embolden these types of low-lifes who own guns and clearly don't operate within the parameters of the law or what most of us would consider commonly accepted social mores.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 am 
Now that I have pondered it, we do see game wardens plus fisheries people around here quite a bit. The game warden drives a distinctly game wardenish pickup--not of any specific color but it has antennae and a spotlight and state plates but is semi-unmarked. I have a feeling that we have a lot of problem folks here and that's why we see the state folks around. I have had a couple of chickens belonging to the game warden neighbor wander through my place. The last one, a hen seemed to be looking for something as she circled my house clucking. I was hoping an egg would appear.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 12:13 pm 
Interesting how their cell phones gave them all away.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 12:21 pm 
Ski wrote:
a ring of poachers went on an unabated killing rampage for over a year before it came to their attention.
If what I was told a couple of weeks ago is true, this group has been doing this for decades not years. They've been reported many times. But apparently nothing could stick or the ones investigating were lazy. Calling them poachers is probably an incorrect term. They were doing this for a thrill. Again, if what I was told is true, they would find a herd of elk and just start shooting. Poachers usually take some of the meat. This group would just drive off.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 1:05 pm 
I know of people who have had poachers on their land, but the animals were taken for meat and all done before a game warden could get there.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 pm 
markh752 wrote:
"...this group has been doing this for decades not years..."
huh.gif Is there something that substantiates that statement? The first two suspects named in the article are only 23 years old.