Forum Index > Trail Talk > Grand Chelan Sawtooth Traverse Routes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:41 pm 
Boing! So it looks like the Pasaytens might be out for me this year, except for maybe a PCT/N-533 schwack down to Ross. Hidden lakes is nearly last on my list but it's burnin' up. I'm curious if anyone can suggest a good route through the Chelan Sawtooths. I don't need to be peakbagging but prefer to stay high when possible. Happy with some road walking before/after. I'm very good at routefinding, incl abandon trails, primitive trails, and off trail routes. I'm comfortable with a scramble and have shwacked for weeks on end (but not looking for a big schwak). I kind of have a bum finger at the moment (finger meets axe) so I can't really do any technical climbing but as far as I remember a lot of the broad ridges are biped travel for the most part. But I haven't been up in the north section. Any cool traverse routes betwen Twisp Pass and Courtney, or even Foggy Dew?

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 5:29 pm 
A couple of years ago we took the Lady of the Lake to Prince Creek drop-off, then hiked up to Cub Lake for the first night. From there we headed upwards and gained the Sawtooth high traverse route, which we followed over the next few days until we dropped down to Stehekin. A fun trip. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8017887

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 6:48 pm 
The problem with starting at the lake is the low elevation (1100'). Some of the TH's off the Methow/Twisp River start you out 3 to 4 K higher.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 pm 
BTW, I am not disparaging Mt.climb's TR, they completed a very ambitious trip. I just remember the time I started out at Prince Creek and what a bitch it was to gain all that elevation before you get to the good stuff. And I never really got there on the trip I did.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 am 
Yeah I'd say your best bet is to start from either Foggy Dew or Crater Creek trail head and head up toward Angels staircase and then out toward where ever. Drop down at the end and take the boat home.

Luc

Luc
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 12:18 pm 
Thanks for the tips! Yeah that high traverse looks cool. Has anyone been up northward towards the Twisp passes? Seems that using the Twisp river road for a loop anchor would cut out some cost, timing restrictions, and elevation.

GNGSTR
Abert

Abert
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 1:37 pm 
You can link Copper Pass-Stiletto-Twisp Pass-Hock Mountain-South Pass. Wildernessed has a report of going from Twisp Pass to Hock. Copper/Stiletto is great with fall color. The area the other side of Twisp Pass isn't as nice as other Chelan Sawtooth stuff. There's probably enough daily traffic to snag a ride for the three or so miles between trail heads. I'd rate a couple other areas higher: Eagle Creek and Oval Creek share the same trailhead and the crest all the way from Star Peak to Sun Mountain is walkable with a couple minor bypasses so you can make a loop by combining a ridge walk with the Chelan Summit Trail. You can use pretty much use the same strategy of a ridges and Summit Trail loop using the Eagle and Martin/Cooney Lakes trails for the area from Merchants Basin to Hoodoo Pass with a few more ridge bypasses. Once you're on the crest you can extend either loop, either direction. I'd rather link up those two loops than try to connect it with the Twisp Pass area.

Luc

Luc
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 pm 
By Chelan Summit and Summit Trail, do you mean a loop up one stem of fish creek, traversing the ridge, then back down the other stem?

GNGSTR
Abert

Abert
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm 
It's the trail that runs on the south side of the crest for thirty miles or so from (I think) Navarre to Purple Pass. It pretty much avoids the crest so I have no idea why it's called the Chelan Summit Trail. It generally stays above the various burn areas. It crosses the Fish Creek drainages going as low as 5600' or so. It's mostly useful if you're a horse or as a connector to more interesting walking higher up. The ridge walking I'm talking about is the Chelan crest (the Chelan Lake/Twisp River divide).

cartman

cartman
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 7:57 pm 
Abert and I did an enjoyable loop traverse from the Oval Lake/Eagle Creek TH, TR here.

Luc

Luc
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 10:19 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions, all! I'm still mapping and researching but I have put together a loose plan to head in to Oval lks, traverse east as high as possible, check out Bernice Lk and Surprise Lk, then NW on the summit trail and see about Triplet Lks, then NW to War Crk Pass, and if I have the time, energy, or interest perhaps Williams Lk via Camels Hump, then out to the road and walk back to the truck. I'll have 11 or so days at my disposal. I like to base the fall trips around lakes to ensure good water sources but I'll undoubtedly hit some peaks, too - actually kind of unavoidable. Now sadly there's a fire out there that might put a damper on this plan.

GNGSTR