Forum Index > Gear Talk > Time to replace Mountain Hardwear Thru Hiker
Previous :: Next Topic  
radka

radka
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 7:45 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
It's finally time to replace our Mountain Hardwear Thru Hiker, which lasted ~15 years and hundreds of trip. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement? The key factors are listed in priority\importance order:

double wall (inner tent + rainfly) - single wall tents trap too much moisture
free standing - we should not have to use any stakes to get the maximum floor space
vestibule - big enough for 2 packs
same shape as the Thru Hiker with a single door
should work for winter camping in relatively calm weather conditions (despite be a 3-season tent)

We purchased the Mountain Hardwear Ghost UL2 in the Labor Day sales and after using it this weekend, were not happy with it. Reasons:

too narrow at the feet - our sleeping bags hit the sides and trapped condensation
the tent is not actually free standing despite its claim - it has to be staked out. without staking it out, the footprint had no chance of staying attached to the corner poles.

Here's a pretty good review of the Ghost UL2. We agree with the review and all the comments.

https://sectionhiker.com/mountain-hardwear-ghost-ul-2-tent-review/

It's really unfortunate the Ghost won't work for us, because it is so incredibly light compared to the Thru Hiker frown.gif

Thanks!

--------------
The future is yard birds
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
awilsondc
Scramblin' Fool

awilsondc
Scramblin' Fool
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 8:34 pm 
Big Agnes fly creek HV UL2 comes to mind, based on the single door comment.  Why the desire for a single door?  Just used to it?  BA Copper Spur HV UL2 would be superior IMO (and in the eyes of many reviewers), but has 2 doors and is a tad heavier.  If you want free standing, the Copper Spur 2 man would be pretty hard to beat.  I'd look into it at least.  Also look into MSR Freelight 2.  Probably not as sturdy though (not as hardy in mild winter conditions) and also 2 doors.  Nemo Hornet 2 (similar to BA fly creek) and Marmot Force 2 (heavier) are also considerations.  Lots of the single door free standing tents these days have a single vertical pole running down to the foot box so I worry about how sturdy these would be in mild winter conditions and if you could really use them without stakes, so might want to consider going the 2 door route.  Happy shopping!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
radka

radka
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 8:58 pm 
Thanks! We're definitely used to a single door but it's not a firm requirement. We'll check these out.

--------------
The future is yard birds
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 9:03 pm 
If you give up on the desire for that single door, then the world of possibilities expands greatly.

Rumi

--------------
Valhalla Outdoors
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
awilsondc
Scramblin' Fool

awilsondc
Scramblin' Fool
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 9:03 pm 
oooo.  Gotta look into Hilleberg tents too.  For years they've been heavier then all competitors but newer models aren't that bad actually.  They're also known for being amongst the most rugged tents out there.  Here is their 2 person tent page, and their lightest one appears to be 1 door and only 3 pounds (not bad at all).  Might be a good fit, but quite spendy.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 10:36 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
oooo.  Gotta look into Hilleberg tents too.  For years they've been heavier then all competitors but newer models aren't that bad actually.  They're also known for being amongst the most rugged tents out there.  Here is their 2 person tent page, and their lightest one appears to be 1 door and only 3 pounds (not bad at all).  Might be a good fit, but quite spendy.

Hilleberg are bombproof tents, but you are looking at the weight figures in kg, not pounds. Also most of their tents are not free standing including the light one you cited.

Rumi

--------------
Valhalla Outdoors
awilsondc
Scramblin' Fool

awilsondc
Scramblin' Fool
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 5:28 am 
Indeed, I was looking at kg.  Thought that sounded too good to be true.  Thanks Rumi.  Check out some of the yellow label tents in the first link instead, they're in the 4 pound range.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 6:17 am 
TarpTent has a Two Person fully Double Walled tent at 3.0 pounds (48 ounces).  Two doors and two vestibules.

https://www.tarptent.com/bowfin2.html

The TarpTent are very durable, this has 30 Denier Fabric vs 15 Denier in most of the other lighter weight tent such as the Fly Creek.

--------------
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...  ― Henry David Thoreau
radka

radka
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 12:25 pm 
We are looking into Hilleberg now, too, though they are heavy and not all of them are truly free-standing. Tarptent is a consideration. Anybody has any experience with Stephenson tents? Doesn't look like they are free-standing, though.

We looked into Big Agnes tents, but seems that many people complain of them leaking from the bottom. That would be a problem for us as we camp on snow a lot.

It's hard to find a tent that is somewhere between a flimsy, delicate little thing and a full-on expedition tent.

--------------
The future is yard birds
DIYSteve
mere tourist

DIYSteve
mere tourist
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 12:58 pm 
radka wrote:
It's hard to find a tent that is somewhere between a flimsy, delicate little thing and a full-on expedition tent.

That aptly describes a Stephenson 2R but it's not freestanding. AFAIK Stephenson tents are the lightest true 4-season tents and they are very stormworthy for the weight, but they are not freestanding (and they aren't for everybody for other reasons). I have a 2R and a 3R, and they have been great tents. My 3R is beat to hell notwithstanding a DIY zipper replacement a few years ago. My 2R still has some life left it in.

The better Tarp Tent designs are not freestanding. (FWIW, I haven't had a freestanding tent for 15 years and it's never been an issue; freestanding comes at a cost of weight, space or stormworthiness, or some combination thereof.)
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
(FWIW, I haven't had a freestanding tent for 15 years and it's never been an issue; freestanding comes at a cost of weight, space or stormworthiness, or some combination thereof.)

Though I do have a couple free-standing tents, I rarely use them for the exact reasons Steve mentions. Even a free-standing tent needs to be staked down. I understand why people like free-standing tents but in the main they offer almost no advantage. YMMV

Rumi

--------------
Valhalla Outdoors
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:37 am 
I've had a Tarptent Stratospire2 for a few years now and really like it.  It's basically two pyramids fused together.  It's taken some serious punishment in high winds both in WA and Utah.  And holds up great to rain.  The vestibules are so huge you have plenty of space to spread out wet gear.

It's less than ideal on snow though.  I've found the trekking poles always end up pushing down into the snow overnight, even if I use powder baskets, and it gets noisy.

Overall this summer when I've been sharing a tent I shared my friends Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 and really like it.  Ok space for two people though this is the older version that doesn't have as steep walls.  Incredibly easy to setup and held up to serious winds on an exposed camp above Welcome Pass in the snow.  We didn't have any water get through the floor. Doesn't weigh much more than the StratoSpire2, though it is considerably smaller.  All the little storage pockets are nice to have.

You're welcome to borrow the StratoSpire if you want to try it out.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Time to replace Mountain Hardwear Thru Hiker
  Happy Birthday Alpine Andy, travis.diller!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: