Forum Index > Trail Talk > Leave No Trace and Social Media
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:41 am 
Which is why this discussion usually goes nowhere unless you are able to see shades of gray.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markweth

markweth
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 11:32 am 
Slugman wrote:
"Think about it" either means don`t post, or it means nothing. I disagree either way.
Or it could mean think about the details you post. Sometimes discretion is recognized and appreciated, as it was with this trip report I posted on another forum: "Snowshoe Trip to an Abandoned Fire Lookout" http://bpbasecamp.freeforums.net/thread/1589/report-snowshoeing-abandoned-lookout-tower Lack of specificity did not detract from the content in the least.
Slugman wrote:
I do not at all see the phenomenon discussed in the first post. The overuse of some trails occurs because so many places are inaccessible, leaving fewer places to go.
I didn't discuss the phenomenon in the original post because it was discussed so thoroughly in these articles that were at the link I posted in the original post: “Is Social Media Ruining Lake Tahoe’s Wilderness?” http://www.sierrasun.com/news/is-social-media-ruining-lake-tahoes-wilderness/ “Loved to Death: How Instagram Is Destroying Our Natural Wonders” https://www.theringer.com/2016/11/3/16042448/instagram-geotagging-ruining-parks-f65b529d5e28 “A Tranquil Swimming Hole Is Overwhelmed by Its Own Internet Fame” https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/nyregion/blue-hole-swimming-catskills.html “Does Social Media Impact the Trails We Love?” http://www.wta.org/news/signpost/social-media-and-the-great-outdoors “Is Social Media Spoiling Colorado’s Hanging Lake?” http://www.kunc.org/post/social-media-spoiling-colorados-hanging-lake “How social media hurts and helps the great outdoors” https://www.marketplace.org/2017/05/29/business/how-social-media-hurts-and-helps-great- “Too much love for the Columbia River Gorge” http://www.columbian.com/projects/2017/07/23/loving-the-gorge-to-death/ “Viral Trails: The Weird Popularity of the Devil’s Bathtub” https://highlonesometrails.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/viral-trails-the-weird-popularity-of-the-devils-bathtub/
Slugman wrote:
The sharing of information is essentially ethical, refusing to share based on a myth is not.
I agree with the first part of this. However, I would modify the second part to say "continuing to share in a manner that has been shown to have demonstrably negative impacts is not."

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 am 
Tom wrote:
Which is why this discussion usually goes nowhere unless you are able to see shades of gray.
ha ha nice one Tom! ...but what fun are shades of gray, drama is where it's at (-; It's a message board afterall.
RandyHiker wrote:
I think he LNT folks need to take a different tact
For some reason I thought we're all on the same page about Leave No Trace around here. But now its a sub-species? The "LNT folks"? I think inclusion might work better than further dividing people into categories and cultures. Oh right, but what fun is that...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 11:50 am 
Not sure where the myth was in Sluggo's argument. The fact is, your impact is not only your feet, it's the impact of all the feet you inspire, too.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 12:26 pm 
How could anybody say anything about where they went this weekend (or anything else) without thinking about it first? You have to think in order to come up with words to post. But it's nice to assume those younger folks who are ruining everything, they don't think.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 12:41 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
"...those younger folks..."
In the context of a conversation about online "social media", I think it's reasonable to assume that the majority of the users and readers of said "social media" are indeed "younger folks". Maybe I'm completely off base there... has anybody crunched the numbers?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 2:29 pm 
markweth wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Yes; add it. It won’t hurt anything, so why not. I think it’s an excellent 8th principle and I do think social media has had a negative impact (positive ones too, of course).
Thanks, Kim. If you do feel it should be added, please e-mail Leave No Trace and suggest it. I have handwritten them, as have several others, as well as e-mailed.
Here's why I think it can hurt. It is difficult as it is to get people to take LNT serious as it presently is. Adding something like this causes some who are considering LNT to dismiss the concept all together. Several years ago a LNT instructor got involved in a discussion on another backpacking forum about the color of equipment and clothing used in backpacking. The vast majority of those involved in the discussion were put off by the criticism of color choices saying in essence that LNT had gone too far and was extreme. Adding another principle about social media postings is likely to have a similar effect. Many people will just roll their eyes and dismiss LNT as utopian. If we can eliminate most of the tp blooms, then I think we can think about adding a principle issabout social media postings. I am sceptical of the effectiveness of such a principle and think the issue of overuse might have to be addressed differently. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
markweth

markweth
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 2:58 pm 
Good points. Definitely a compelling context to look at the idea in. Thanks.
RumiDude wrote:
If we can eliminate most of the tp blooms, then I think we can think about adding a principle issabout social media postings.
I think these can be approached at the same time and the efficacy will be greater as a result.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 4:00 pm 
Stefan-K wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
I think he LNT folks need to take a different tact
For some reason I thought we're all on the same page about Leave No Trace around here. But now its a sub-species? The "LNT folks"? I think inclusion might work better than further dividing people into categories and cultures. Oh right, but what fun is that...
There are people that have no clue, those that know better than they practice, those that practice LNT and those that educate others on LNT. Those that are advocating the additional 8th rule fall into the last category. On NWHikers I think there are folks in every category, with most in the 3rd. Understanding what is is useful.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 pm 
Ah, Autumn is upon us. A time where the needles fall gently from the golden larch into a bed of freshly fallen snow, when the birds head south for Winter, when the sun sets lower in the sky, and the NWHikers engage in pointless dialogue on a myriad of issues they have no control over and do so with an array of snarky undertones. Where is rbuzby to contribute to this important discussion?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:22 pm 
up.gif There's still some season left. Get out there and enjoy those fall colors! lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:40 pm 
Can't get out this afternoon. You'd wash away. We're getting wave after wave of some serious downpours with an occasional thunder boom. On a road I walk on, I must go through a minefield of decomposing toilet paper. The poopage goes away pretty quickly and I won't speculate on here how. It makes that part of the walk a bit unpleasant. But in our local climate, poopage and toilet paper decompose pretty quickly and now I've made myself feel ill. frown.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
markweth

markweth
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
the NWHikers engage in pointless dialogue on a myriad of issues they have no control over
This is an issue that people might not have direct control over, but they can advocate to the appropriate organization if they would like to see the topic addressed. And links have been provided to do so if people feel so inclined. Pointless dialogue, yes. But pointless dialogue that can result in advocacy : )

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:19 pm 
It's an interesting question and thinking about this isn't the worst use of time. Hopefully, more people will turn into more money for trails and a healthy equilibrium will be reached.

markweth

markweth
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:58 pm 
So, this might help clarify the impetus for my advocacy for asking Leave No Trace to consider adding an 8th Principle . . . and the article is straight from Leave No Trace themselves, less than a week ago: https://lnt.org/blog/guffey-gorge-instagram-famous Once a local secret, this 80-acre gorge, managed by the Bureau of Land Management, boasts a gorgeous waterfall that tumbles from steep granite canyon walls. Tucked 1/2 mile down an unassuming trailhead, social media attention has turned this sleepy spot into a hotbed of activity. On sunny July weekends, up to 1,000 visitors a day make the steep hike into the Gorge to enjoy a swimming hole at the base of the falls that’s not much bigger or deeper than your average backyard pool. Guffey Gorge and area residents are now are dealing with the negative ecological and social impacts that are a direct result of this explosion in visitation. Litter lines the rocks surrounding the cove and blows into neighbors’ yards from overflowing dumpsters in the parking lot. Thousands of glass shards threaten bare feet down by the water. The designated trail to the falls is difficult to follow in places due to erosion caused by off-trail travel. The gurgling lullaby of Fourmile Creek and the falls tumbling into the pool below are often overpowered by loud music. And it’s not uncommon for the local Emergency Medical Services crew to compromise their safety and the integrity of the land to evacuate visitors who injure themselves jumping from the cliffs or falling on the rough trails. I guess what I've been trying to get at (and thanks for your patience along the twisting trail of discussion) is that if this type of scenario repeated over and over across our public lands is acceptable and no action should be made by LNT (who clearly are aware of the issue) to encourage people to think before they post, then I will accept that. I just want to hear it from them. I am also curious if the hiking community thinks it is OK for people to continue to mindlessly tag natural places when these are the results and a little bit of discretion likely would have kept this from experiencing such disastrous impacts.