Forum Index > Trail Talk > Need help finding a camping location.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Obzeen

Obzeen
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm 
Hi, I'm looking for a good location to do an overnight camping trip, but I'm overwhelmed by the number of options, and was hoping someone here could advise me. I haven't been camping in over 10 years, since I was in boy scouts, so I'm looking for something fairly easy. I will also be taking my girlfriend, however she is fit, and not intimidated by hiking. Ideally I want something within 60 miles driving distance of Seattle, has a water feature safe for swimming or splashing, and no more than 6 miles of hiking (plus 1,000ft of elevation) to get to the camping spot. While researching, I saw 'Wallace Falls' might be good, but I'd rather have something south of Seattle (close to Auburn), than north of Seattle. Thank you smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:17 pm 
Northish (Hwy 2) Dorothy Lake, or keep going to Bear or Deer Lake Sort of late in the season for swimming, but... I90 Mason Lake Rachel Lake Waptus Lake (longer drive)

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 pm 
Summit Lake at Mt Rainier (not in the park, 1300' gain). It's not in the Park up.gif Dewey Lakes would be a good one as well. Currently the trailhead is closed due to fire, but it might open soon....

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 pm 
Probably further than 60 miles from Seattle, but otherwise Greenwater Lakes east of Enumclaw might fit your bill.

Dharmabum

Dharmabum
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 2:43 pm 
I would 2nd the Summit Lake suggestion. I was up there last week and the lake is very nice. It has good campsites and the views from the lakes upper ridge are pretty spectacular. You can also take a day trip from the lake up to Bearhead Peak which was the location of an old fire lookout.