Forum Index > Trail Talk > High altitude archeology
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mb

mb
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:58 pm 
http://helenair.com/news/natural-resources/archaeologists-uncovering-ancient-peoples-widespread-use-of-mountains/article_7969f481-7f2d-5104-8db2-79a60da177dd.html
Quote:
BILLINGS -- A small group of archaeologists are blazing a path into places like Wyoming’s Wind River Range, the Tetons and Montana’s Beartooth Plateau, rewriting the understanding of prehistoric people’s use of what are now high elevation wilderness areas. “We really need to be thinking about the Rocky Mountains in a way that we haven’t been thinking about them,” said Bonnie Pitblado, an anthropological archaeology professor at the University of Oklahoma. “By Clovis time (about 13,500 years ago), we have clear, clear evidence people are in the New World and they are in the Rocky Mountains and know them intimately,” she added.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 am 
There was an article about these sites in the Archaeological Conservancy quarterly magazine over a year ago. It was interesting.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 am 
I would be more surprised to find that there were any areas of the North American continent that Native Americans had not occupied and exploited.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 am 
Most all the ancestral puebloan settlements were on the Colorado Plateau 5000 - 7000'.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 11:48 am 
The archaeologists will probably find a register placed by Fay Pullen. smile.gif

Here on this mountaintop...Woahoho...I got some wild, wild life - Talking Heads
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:21 pm 
Considering that the Inca were building with cut stone and growing potatoes and maize at high altitudes, I'm surprised by the overall tone of the article; that archaeologists would think it anomalous for humans to occupy high altitude areas on the North American continent. The climate wasn't the same 10,000 years ago, or even 5000 years ago. The conditions at those altitudes may have been considerably different than they are in the present day.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
wanderwild

wanderwild
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:45 pm 
"Why did they go up there? We don't know." Yeah, we do. There was a buffalo jump found. They went there because there were buffalo (and likely other resources). Important to keep in mind that these people did not know they were "10,500 feet above sea level." They just lived, survived, hunted, etc.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 1:33 pm 
The first people to arrive in North America were ice age hunters. It is logical to assume that when climate warmed they would follow game to higher cooler areas.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mb

mb
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 3:38 pm 
The article does cover some of that--that they think the people came from colder places. And that these places were warmer then. Which is even relevant for the artifacts, as they got encased in ice then uncovered. I will admit I saw it posted in a thread elsewhere about how shallow the concept of 'untrammeled by man' is for wilderness. But it's interesting on its own as a bit of history and analysis.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 6:25 pm 
dizzy.gif well... the author of that article doesn't understand the actual meaning of "untrammeled" the way he's using it there. yeah.... odds are they came from the land of the Chukchi and thereabouts... and it would have been colder than some other areas, but the climate that far back wasn't what it is today - not by any means. it was a much warmer, drier climate here on the west coast 5000 years ago. don't know about 10,000.

RodF

RodF
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 5:15 am 
As Ski noted, untrammelled means unrestrained or unrestricted, not unoccupied. Mesa Verde and Bandelier Wildernesses are well known examples of wilderness areas which preserve thousands of known archaeological sites. All wilderness areas do, but most of their sites are as yet undiscovered.
gb wrote:
There was an article about these sites in the Archaeological Conservancy quarterly magazine over a year ago. It was interesting.
Thank you for sharing that pointer, gb! Archaeology In The Ice Patches and Ancient life in the high Tetons

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
mb

mb
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 1:15 pm 
ok, then the next sentence of the act: "where man himself is a visitor who does not remain" i mean in the long term of course that's true, man will go extinct eventually. but one of the interesting part of these archeology and anthropology results is that it's quite clear that man has restricted and inhabited all areas of the earth and often did specific agricultural modifications.