Forum Index > Trail Talk > Goat Rocks - PCT Trail Conditions - Any insights for this weekend?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GJBackpacker
GJ

GJBackpacker
GJ
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 pm 
I am planning a backpacking trip on the PCT through Goat Rocks this weekend (Sat Sept 23 - Tues Sept 26) starting at Walupt Lake and heading north. Does anyone know how much snow might be on the PCT, especially the knife edge section near Old Snowy? Not sure I want to tackle that section of trail in adverse conditions. Appreciate any insights. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 pm 
HTH http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=38868.0 4-6 inches settled new snow above 7300 on Mt Rainier.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 pm 
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1107308#1107308 Scroll to mbravenboer's post. The boys and I were suppose to take my sister to the Goat Rocks this weekend for her first backpacking trip. I'm glad we pulled the plug on the idea last weekend and made different plans.

drm

drm
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 7:47 am 
Timberline Lodge reports getting 26" of snow the last 3 days. Hard to say if they got that much at Goat Rocks but probably safe to say that whatever it got will not melt as soon as this weekend. Any trip up there now should plan for and expect snow. I'm aiming for alpine regions on the north side of Adams next week and hoping most of it will melt off by then. Edit / add: Just saw webcams from Sunrise on Mt Rainier and though it a few hundred feet higher than Timberline, it certainly didn't get 26" of snow. Goat Rocks is in between but closer to Rainier, so I would guess it didn't get so much. Still need to be prepared if in case . . .

GJBackpacker
GJ

GJBackpacker
GJ
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 12:14 pm 
Thanks for the info - appreciate it.