Forum Index > Trail Talk > Eastern Washington Idears
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:03 pm 
Howdy y'all, Been a hot minute since I've been on here (or outside for that matter) and it feels good to be back. I got a flavor to ask of y'all, I've recently moved over to the Spokane area and finally have things settled enough in my life that I found time enough to make a 1-3 night trip. The issue I'm running into is that I have not the slightest clue as to where to go or where to even begin to look. I don't really know anyone out here to ask either so I figured I'd turn online. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, don't hesitate to throw in an early winter overnighter option in there as well if you know of one. Thanks in advance! up.gif Out'Squatchin winksmile.gif

"I wish I knew where I was going. Doomed to be 'carried of the spirit into the wilderness', I suppose" - John Muir 1887
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 pm 
You willing to do some driving? I haven't spent much time over there, but you've got the whole Idaho panhandle nearby. I see some TRs on here occasionally for that area. Some nice looking granite peaks and lakes (I think one of them is called Beehive). There's a 100 hikes series book on the Inland Northwest or Inland Empire that would give you quite a few ideas. Priest Lake probably isn't too far away. I've poked around the Kettle Range a little bit, that area looks interesting for exploring.

markweth

markweth
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:38 pm 
Salmo-Priest Wilderness. Kettle Crest Trail. Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness. Yakima Skyline area. I've hiked the last two this year. If you would like more info on them, just let me know.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:42 pm 
There's some really nice hiking around Priest Lake and the PNT runs through that area Lookout Mountain, Selkirks, Idaho Roman Nose Lakes, Selkirks, Idaho

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:53 pm 
Idaho Selkirks look like a target rich environment, and not far at all from Spokane. A bit further but still not really all that long of a drive is the Cabinet Mountains in Montana (near Libby). I did one hike up there, it was pretty nice. Several other trails I haven't done.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:56 pm 
I've long been curious about the Selway Crags but haven't made it there yet. For a long weekend or more extended trip, the Wallowas in Eastern Oregon (just west of Hell's Canyon) are awesome!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:59 pm 
Due north a hop skip and a jump and on the other side of the border is Nelson, BC. Some REALLY good stuff up there. Valhalla Provincial Park is awesome and Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park isn't too bad either.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 6:02 pm 
Selkirks up north of Metalline Falls. (Check to make sure roads are open. They have seasonal road closures on some grizzly bear areas.) Wehanna-Tucannon area to the south of you.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 6:24 pm 
I am up at Priest Lake for a couple more weeks, I wouldn't mind going on a hike. Probably not an over-nighter though since I am taking care of a family member who recently had surgery. Upper Priest River falls is a fun hike but the road sucks. Also would like to day hike to Hunt lake and maybe fish a bit.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm 
Sounds like Selkirks are the consensus, I kinda figured as much. I have no problems driving a few hours and honestly would go west but I figured I might as well see what I have in my backyard so to speak. Ive only really ever had enough time to just check out some basic (and popular) day hikes like Liberty Lake, Mica Peak, Riverside and Mt. Rainier. Chief, how much longer you gonna be over here? If you'd like we could meet up for a day hike sometime. Went to Priest lake for a day back in July and it was soooo beautiful over there. Would love to just live in a cabin on the water year round haha.

"I wish I knew where I was going. Doomed to be 'carried of the spirit into the wilderness', I suppose" - John Muir 1887
glenoid

glenoid
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 8:49 am 
Welcome to the "light" side!!!! Three resources that are good at introducing you to hiking in this area are: Day Hiking Eastern Washington by Landers & Romano, 100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest by Rich Landers (outdoor writer for the Spokesman), and Desert Hikes by Bauer & Nelson. These resources and some maps should get you started. Most of the hiking/backpacking will be a minimum two hour drive for you depending on your location in Spokane. All the areas mentioned in the above posts are enjoyable places to visit, just depends on what you like to see, do, or experience. Feel free to PM me for info. After living in Chewelah Wa, Eureka Mt and now Pomeroy Wa, I've been fortunate to be acquainted with a lot of trails near you.

Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:36 pm 
Ha! Yeah light side for sure! lol.gif Thanks for the book recommendations, can't say no to more of those! Like I said I'm no stranger to driving for a trip. As long as I can get outside and away from people I'll pretty much do whatever it takes to get there. I'm gonna be sending you a PM here after this response to take you up on your offer. Once I get all the options under control then comes the hardest part......choosing which one to do!

schifferj

schifferj
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:57 pm 
Get a copy of 100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest written by the outdoors editor of the Spokesman-Review, Rich Landers. This book is published by The Mountaineers Books and some of the proceeds go to trail maintenance. The hikes in this book vary from day hikes to multiple day hikes near Spokane and cover Washington, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and British Columbia. You can't go wrong. Once you lay hands on this book set your sights on hiking them all. Well worth the effort. All the hikes on the Selkirk Crest, in the Cabinet Mountains, or the Wallowa Mountains (Eagle Cap Wilderness) are great! Hells Canyon can be done any time of the year (best in early Spring) before it gets hot. Not in the book (but should be) is the Seven Devils area down near Riggins Idaho. They are high altitude and may be closed out for the season but there's always next year.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 pm 
I plan to be here about two more weeks, which days are you available to hike?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.