Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Stripped a lug nut
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 6:31 pm 
Full disclosure: I don't know nearly as much as I should about cars. Got a flat tire way up in the middle of nowhere on a mountain road recently. One of the lug nuts was very stuck, so I resorted to standing on the lug wrench and trying to use my body weight to loosen it. I guess I didn't have it on square, so when I weighted the wrench it popped right off. Did this a second time (stupidly), same result. Stripped the lug nut real good, rendering the wrench useless. Luckily I was able to pop it off with a pair of vice grips attached to a couple of the bars (for some extra torque) that came with my vehicle's tire changing kit, but this got me thinking: what if I hadn't been able to get the lug nut off? That would have been a fun 20 mile walk in the dark. Is a stuck/stripped lug nut a situation people plan for, is it a fluke, or am I just dumb for getting myself in this situation in the first place?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 6:35 pm 
Had you recently changed or replaced a tire? I once had a a tire change at a place who cross threaded the nut then torqued it on with an impact wrench and striped the stud. Usually you are not strong enough to do this by hand without a long cheater.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 7:20 pm 
I had some work done on the brakes about a month ago, which would have been the last time the tire was removed. All the other lug nuts loosened easily, so I'm hoping there was something wrong with that one in particular and I'm not just a big weakling... The thought of messing up the lug nut with the tire iron didn't even cross my my mind, which probably led to some carelessness on my part. I didn't strip it completely, just enough that the tire iron wasn't fitting on properly anymore. I was still able to get the vise grips on well. I'm definitely feeling lucky that I just so happened to have the vise grips in the car with me, otherwise I would have been hosed. They were factory nuts to the best of my knowledge.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 9:38 pm 
Reading about striped nuts reminds me of the chaffing threads from a few years ago.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 pm 
It sounds like a fluke. If you start lug nuts by hand, for several turns, there's really no way to cross-thread them. With a properly-sized wrench, you shouldn't be able to round off a nut. Maybe someone slipped you an undersized nut.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
One of the lug nuts was very stuck, so I resorted to standing on the lug wrench and trying to use my body weight to loosen it. I guess I didn't have it on square, so when I weighted the wrench it popped right off. Did this a second time (stupidly), same result. Stripped the lug nut real good, rendering the wrench useless.
Your statement is a little confusing. Lug wrench: image tire iron: image Having the end of the lug wrench (or tire iron) on the lug nut cockeyed should not result in stripping the threads on the lug nut (or the stud it is mounted on.) It might result in damaging the broached opening on the lug wrench (or tire iron) to the point that it will no longer fit properly onto the lug nut, however. Yes, if you did not have the end of the lug wrench (or tire iron) square and securely on the lug nut, it might pop right off and toss you on your butt. You said you had the brakes worked on about a month ago. You need to go back and talk with the shop owner and explain to him what happened. Odds are whoever put the wheel back on over-torqued the lug nuts with an impact gun (a very common occurrence in automotive repair shops.) IF the lug nut had been over-torqued to the point where the threads galled, it could quite possibly snap the stud right off when attempting to remove the lug nut. IF the lug nut had not been hand-threaded onto the stud prior to putting the impact gun on it to tighten it up, the threads could very well have been stripped when it was re-installed. Again, I'd go back and talk with the shop owner. There is no reason to tighten lug nuts down so tight that the consumer cannot loosen them with the OEM lug wrench (or tire iron.) If the wheel stud (the stud the lug nut screws onto) is stripped or sheared off, the old one will have to be pressed out and a new one installed. A shop doing brake jobs should be able to do it in fairly short order - like 10 or 15 minutes at the most. After you get that part of the deal straightened out, have the shop check the torque on the lug nuts all the way around the car and insist they do it properly with a torque wrench and not a damned impact gun. If you're using a tire iron and you don't own a lug wrench, go buy one. It's way easier to remove/install a tire with a lug wrench. About the only thing tire irons are good for is removing the hubcaps. Or: you can do like a lot of guys do - go up to the nearest "Harbor Freight" and buy their longest 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 6-point deep-well socket that fits the lug nuts. It's China-made but I think they actually put a warranty on the thing: here. $12.99 out the door. Cheap. (Cheapest decent US-made breaker you'll find in a respectable length (16"-18") is going to set you back about $30-$35 on Ebay - that doesn't include the socket.) These are 15-inchers - you want a longer one for lug nuts unless you've got a lot of arm (or a couple feet of 1½" pipe.):
Indestro 3222 Indestro 6450 Craftsman =V= 15-inch breakers
Indestro 3222 Indestro 6450 Craftsman =V= 15-inch breakers

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 12:11 am 
Ski - thanks for the all the helpful info. It appears that I was using the term 'lug wrench' and 'tire iron' interchangeably. Per your images, I was definitely using the 'tire iron' that came with the car. Still very much a beginner here, as mentioned at the top of the post, so thanks for clearing up the confusion smile.gif The nut itself is definitely damaged - not the threads on the nut, but the outside, six flat sides are deformed to the point that the tire iron is no longer usable on the nut. Perhaps 'stripped' is also confusing terminology, as again, the threads aren't damaged (as far as I know). I believe the wheel stud is ok too, but I'll have it looked at. I will definitely be talking to the shop owner about this issue, as well as purchasing a 'lug wrench' for future tire changes.Thanks everyone for the help!

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 6:16 am 
Seventy2002 wrote:
It sounds like a fluke. If you start lug nuts by hand, for several turns, there's really no way to cross-thread them. With a properly-sized wrench, you shouldn't be able to round off a nut. Maybe someone slipped you an undersized nut.
My son's Grand Cherokee has some lugnuts that have the fancy chrome covers attached. These often eventually fall off, and the remaining nut is then undersized, which then causes a lug wrench to not fit right and slip, etc. He had new brakes put on a couple months ago, and part of the job was to replace the factory nuts with some single piece nuts for just this reason. Your story just reminded me of a strange situation I experienced several years ago. I had a tire cleanly separate from the rim at the sidewall while at highway speed. I watched as it rolled past me through the ditch as I came to a stop. Weirdest thing I've ever experienced with a car. Anyway, I could not, under any circumstances, remove the aluminum rim from the cast iron wheel after the nuts were removed. I ended up calling a garage at the next town, and the guy came armed with a large hammer, and it took much severe banging away at the rim to separate it from the wheel. The aluminum rim had corroded fast to the cast-iron wheel. Thanks for the report, I don't happen to have large vise-grips in any of the cars, sounds like a good bit of insurance!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 7:54 am 
moonspots wrote:
, I could not, under any circumstances, remove the aluminum rim
After I had a similar experience, fortunately at home, I started putting a film of anti-seize compound between wheel and hub. I also use anti-seize on the lugs and a torque wrench.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 8:37 am 
Ski wrote:
Having the end of the lug wrench (or tire iron) on the lug nut cockeyed should not result in stripping the threads on the lug nut (or the stud it is mounted on.)
I interpreted OP as describing rounding off the nut head
Seventy2002 wrote:
After I had a similar experience, fortunately at home, I started putting a film of anti-seize compound between wheel and hub. I also use anti-seize on the lugs and a torque wrench.
Anti-seize between the wheel and hub is a good idea. Anti-seize on the lug threads is a very bad idea because it messes with the torque values, which are set assuming dry clean threads. Lubricating the threads with anything then torquing to spec results in over-torquing, which can eventually result in snapped lugs. ETA: from Tire Rack instructions:
Quote:
It is important to make sure your threads are free of dirt, grit and other materials in order to achieve a proper torque. Do not apply anti-seize compound to the lug hardware or studs. This can result in inaccurate torque readings and/or over torquing of the hardware.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Anti-seize on the lug threads is a very bad idea because it messes with the torque values, which are set assuming dry clean threads. Lubricating the threads with anything then torquing to spec results in over-torquing, which can eventually result in snapped lugs.
Do not ever put anti-seize compound on lug nuts or wheel studs! Never! Not ever! Having the lug nuts come loose at 70 MPH makes the entire vehicle shake something awful when the lug nuts start loosening up. Eventually the wheels will fall off the vehicle. (Ask me how I know this.) Steve, in the first line of my post above I noted that the OP was a bit confusing. Jake: if the wheel stud isn't damaged and the threads are still okay, then it is simply a matter of replacing the lug nut. No big deal. * If, like moonspot's, your lug nuts have a chromed sheet-metal jacket on them (like the OEM lug nuts on my Ranger) it's a really good idea to have a couple spares in the glove box. Those are an oddball OEM thing; looks pretty, dumb idea. Jake: if you damaged the lug nut because you did not have the lug wrench (or tire iron) securely and square on the lug nut, that was your fault, not the shop's. It is, however, still entirely possible that the lug nuts might have been over-tightened with an impact gun. Any time you have anybody work on your car and it involves removal of the wheel, insist that they use a torque wrench and torque the lug nuts down to factory specs. Otherwise you'll eventually find yourself on the side of the highway skinning your knuckles trying to remove an over-torqued lug nut. == (Let me add, since we're on the subject: Do not ever put anti-seize compound on the blade bolt on a lawnmower either!) (Go ahead - ask me how I know this.) wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 am 
Sorry to all who were confused by my original post - I was misusing the terminology. I believe ski's latest post outlines what happened pretty well - there was an over-torqued lug nut and I was overzealous with my jumping/stomping of the tire iron, rounding the nut head. I think the threads on both the nut and stud are ok, as I was able to screw the damaged nut back on just fine and tighten it as much as I could with vise grips. Thank you to all who have been so helpful and willing to share your knowledge with me. I think it's time I expanded my car knowledge beyond the bare basics of knowing how to change a tire, check the oil, and jump a dead battery. One last question - does anyone have any thoughts on fix-a-flat? Would this be a useful item to carry as a form of insurance in case I find myself in a similar situation in the future?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 10:17 am 
Fix a flat sometimes work an tire shops hate the nasty, green, slimy stuff. A much better imho is a small compressor that plugs into your cigarette lighter. I loaned mine to a friend who's tire was losing air when we parked for a hike. He stopped about ever 5 miles to air it up until he made it to the tire shop. Of course that only works on fairly slow leaks. They cost around 20-30 bucks. You can also use it to air up your raft, air mattress, etc while camping.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 11:15 am 
We sold thousands (if not tens of thousands) of cans of "Fix-A-Flat". As noted, employees in tire shops hate the stuff. It is essentially raw uncured latex with a (usually) propane propellant in an aerosol can that coats the entire inside of the tire (and the outer part of the wheel) with a sticky, gooey, slimy mess that's damn near impossible to remove - gets all over their hands and their tools. People use it because it's a quick fix and if used properly will seal up small leaks in a tire. IF you are going to use "Fix-A-Flat": Warm the can up first, either by dunking it in hot (not boiling) water, or lay the can up on the dashboard in the sun, or somewhere under the hood in the engine compartment for a few minutes. This will cause the propellant to expand inside the can so that you can be sure that most all of the contents in the can will go into the tire. Make sure the tires are warmed up good. Do not use "Fix-A-Flat" on a cold tire. Rotate the wheel so that the tire valve is at 4:00 o'clock or 8:00 o'clock. Unlike most aerosols, "Fix-A-Flat" is designed to be sprayed with the nozzle down. Ideally, remove the Schrader valve core from the valve stem on the tire. This requires a special valve core tool - about $5.00 bucks at a parts store or bicycle shop. Sometimes the gooey "Fix-A-Flat" will gum up the Schrader valve core and you will not be able to get all of the contents of the can into the tire. Screw the nozzle on the can of "Fix-A-Flat' onto the valve stem, empty the entire contents of the can into the tire, replace the valve core, and drive the vehicle so that the liquid "Fix-A-Flat" gets dispersed and coats the entire inside of the tire and the wheel. I had maddening slow leaks in a couple tires on my 1968 Pontiac. Drove it all the way down to Chehalis on the freeway, pulled into a gas station next to the air hose, pulled all four valve cores and let all the air out of the tires, pulled out four cans of "Fix-A-Flat", put a can into each tire, inflated each tire to 35 PSI, and drove back home. Never had to put air in those tires again. Works great if you do it properly. Doesn't work worth a damn if you don't do it properly. (We got all kinds of the stuff back as "defective", when it was actually user error.) Tire shops will still cuss you whether you do it correctly or not. Great favorite among guys who repossess cars for a living; used to have a customer up in Yelm who bought the stuff by the case. === The "plug-into-the-cigarette-lighter" compressors are great, but they're slow, and not very effective if you've got a punctured tire. wink.gif == And Jake: your last post illustrates clearly why I said that "tire irons" are effectively useless except for removing hub caps. A good lug wrench isn't that much money, and it will work on your next car, and the one after that, and the one after that.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 am 
The better 12V compressors have battery terminal clamps with 8G or thicker wire. They are popular with 4WDers