Forum Index > Trail Talk > We crashed our drone on the first trip...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 10:31 am 
That's the flying that gets the Feds worried about the entire modeling aviation community. The rest of us flying safely, respectfully, and in my group, quietly, is lumped in with these clowns. Thanks, *@#!!!head.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 pm 
As someone that spends some time flying low over both urban and wilderness terrain in a rotary wing aircraft, this is what worries me about drones.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:55 pm 
Doesn't help that the multirotors are generally pretty small, either. Our stuff ranges from 4-10 ft in span and you at least have a chance of seeing it even if we're in the same places. In addition we're noiseless and get out of the way of any full scale planes, which we can hear coming..even full sized sailplanes make a fair amount of wind noise as we've found out from sharing the sky along Hood River ridge.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
jcocci

jcocci
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:22 pm 
Yana wrote:
As someone that spends some time flying low over both urban and wilderness terrain in a rotary wing aircraft, this is what worries me about drones.
I get it (the worry that is) but its not the drone its the dumbass drone operator. Besides the fact that they broke some laws filming that (I hope they get caught, there are people out there looking for this type of thing) it is irresponsible flying even if no laws were broken. Unfortunately all hobbies and activities have these kinds of people. Look at snowmobilers. Lots a of responsible ones and lots of irresponsible as well.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:26 pm 
jcocci wrote:
I get it (the worry that is) but its not the drone its the dumbass drone operator.
Be that as it may, that consolation wouldn't make me and/or my colleagues any less dead (not to mention no more helicopter for rescues) if drone shrapnel hit the tail rotor, directly or indirectly. The chances are pretty remote of a collision, but they are increasing. In addition to the incident linked to above, there have been other near misses (not to mention that debacle with the drone that caused several wildland firefighting helos and planes to be grounded for safety a couple of months ago).

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:31 pm 
Yana wrote:
"...not to mention that debacle with the drone that caused several wildland firefighting helos and planes to be grounded for safety a couple of months ago....
Drones interfering with firefighting efforts have occurred a number of times on both wildland fires and in urban areas. The drone that messed up a firefighting effort in Hollywood, California was the cause of knocking the power out for hundreds of residents. Somewhere on this site I posted quite a list of incidents where problems had been created as a result of drone use (and that was only a partial list.) here ... and some people wonder why some people hate drones. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:52 pm 
One of your links describes talking with the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics), which the article's author describes as having "180,000 amateur drone operators" which is an example of the confusion and misrepresentation endemic to this topic. This article is a couple of years old now and there are doubtless a bunch of multirotor/drone pilots signed up now with the AMA, but the number he mentions is actually *NOT* drone pilots, it was 90% fixed wing RC aircraft pilots and a handful of helicopter guys. It's precisely this continual confusion of fixed wing aircraft with 'drones' which is making these damned things such a ***ing headache for the non drone pilots, because we're lumped in with them by default.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 5:12 pm 
jcocci wrote:
its not the drone its the dumbass drone operator.
Look, here's the deal: That's like saying "Look, here's the deal: your words aren't stupid, just the letters in that specific order are stupid."

Luc

Luc
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 6:19 pm 
I think it's time in this thread somebody brought up Baby Jessica.

GNGSTR
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 6:24 pm 
There are a lot of controversial items in the world today where "Operator Error" can be to blame, but it's the ones that infringe on our solitude while out hiking that are the most annoying.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
jcocci

jcocci
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 7:04 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
There are a lot of controversial items in the world today where "Operator Error" can be to blame, but it's the ones that infringe on our solitude while out hiking that are the most annoying.
Just others out hiking where are you hiking is also infringing on your solitude.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 8:13 pm 
A win for "drone" operators nationwide. " A court has ruled that federal drone laws trump local drone regulations in instances where the two are in conflict, setting a new and very important precedent for commercial and recreational drone pilots alike. "

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 am 
jcocci wrote:
Just others out hiking where are you hiking is also infringing on your solitude.
I usually just yell at the people I see that I reserved this trail for private use.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 10:16 am 
Me too! I holler that I'm a NW native, get the hell out of my way. This always reduces tensions and conflicts, works wonders.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 am 
jcocci wrote:
True enough, though some people manage to have a wider "radius of infringement" than others, and also a greater "amplitude of infringement." I sometimes want solitude, but often find that mere social contact meshes quite fine with the mix of exercise and connection to the natural world that so nourishes me. There's in fact a growing stream of research that shows (in the way careful research often proves out what seems like common sense to many) the extent to which natural surroundings can improve our mental states, whereas input that is more akin to being on a city street (engine/motor noise, music, etc.) is not helpful in this regard - e.g. see for instance here and here. BTW, it is worth noting that the OP appears to have in this instance chosen a place for his flying and filming where I'm guessing few if any other people were around and trying to experience said connection to nature.