Forum Index > Trip Reports > It's A Shame
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:24 pm 
confused.gif I told myself a few years ago that Blanca Lake would have been a brief visit only because I was passing through to another destination. It was understood that I was going to leave the rest of the group once we arrived at the lake. I was going to continue to another destination. We drove two vehicles and the remaining 5 in our group would return home in one of them, leaving me the other. Well, that didn't work out. We got a hour and a half late start. Also, I was enjoying the company and we took our time hiking the trail. It would have been a very dark return on my out and I wasn't in the mood for it. The title of this TR is, "It's A Shame". It is, because Blanca lives up to it's reputation. Yea, the beauty does also, but it's the depressing conditions that are such a killjoy. Trashed. What a gorgeous spot spoiled by... Empty plastic water bottles Toilet paper Bits of litter Empty beer cans Dog sh##. Bagged & unbagged Horse sh## Soiled baby diaper on the side of the trail. (That's a new one for me ) It's loud. Loud people and loud dogs And this! A man with his penis hanging out of his pants as my 2 adult daughter's passed by he and his dog. WTF!!! banghead.gif So pretty and so disrespected
I'll return, but only because I have to, to get to another location.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:30 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
A man with his penis hanging out of his pants
Next time, point at it and start laughing.....

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:33 pm 
williswall wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
A man with his penis hanging out of his pants
Next time, point at it and start laughing.....
Next time I'm going to pretend it's a weenie roast and it's going to end up on the end of my hiking pole.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:47 pm 
Is the road already re-opened? Or is everybody there taking the effort to walk up? Was the penis incident deliberate exposure or unfortunate peeing? If the first, I'd report. Edit: the glacier looks pretty sad btw. Looks like in a year of 10 that lake won't be so blanca anymore ...

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:59 pm 
I worked trail there with WTA two weeks ago and although it wasn't as bad as described, we did carry out an amazing amount of trash, mostly from the trailhead. The road is not reopened and adds about 2 miles onto the hike. The area around the gated road had a lot of trash too. Why is it so hard for folks to dig a cat hole? shakehead.gif Many thanks to those who treat places like Blanca well and those others...well...hopefully there will be karma. rant.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 7:56 pm 
So that's where Ed Murray's been hiding out.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
Is the road already re-opened? Or is everybody there taking the effort to walk up? Was the penis incident deliberate exposure or unfortunate peeing? If the first, I'd report. Edit: the glacier looks pretty sad btw. Looks like in a year of 10 that lake won't be so blanca anymore ...
3 major washouts on the road. I heard a ranger rumour that year 2020 is the estimated repair. Penis incident was deliberate exposure. I have no idea how someone can be standing there having a conversation about his dog and not know his dong was hanging out of a tear hole in his pants. Tear hole location I assume was also deliberate. The Columbia Glacier is / was one of my intended destinations. I want to see it up close & personal before it's gone

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 pm 
Sorry to hear it, although FWIW it was pretty trashed when I was there 30 years ago

Chico

Chico
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:37 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
Why is it so hard for folks to dig a cat hole?
Because they are essentially lazy! And they just don't care! And they don't care about anyone else which makes them selfish!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:29 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Sorry to hear it, although FWIW it was pretty trashed when I was there 30 years ago
yeah, I wish I'd gotten there back in the '90s when it was just trashed instead of really trashed... I seem to recall relatively recent (last few years) reports of major parking shenanigans on the road there as well.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:32 am 
Chico wrote:
lookout bob wrote:
Because they are essentially lazy! And they just don't care! And they don't care about anyone else which makes them selfish!
While I'm sure this is a partial answer, I also suspect that there are a lot of folks who have recently gotten into hiking w/o some of the mentorship that many of us were lucky enough to have, and they haven't thought this part through in advance, and then the moment comes, and they aren't really thinking it through - they're in a more primal state at that moment. At least I hope so, as this would mean there's at least some hope for improvement on this front...

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 10:01 am 
lookout bob wrote:
If a tool to dig a hole isn't in your hiking kit it's can be tough to do this. Often it's hard even with a tool. Hence the practice of stashing the mess under rocks.

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 10:32 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
A man with his penis hanging out of his pants as my 2 adult daughter's passed by he and his dog.
Out there with no one to hear him scream? I'd sock him in the jaw, no joke.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 12:38 pm 
I came down off Aasgard Pass one time and was hiking around Colchuck Lake when I rounded a corner and almost ran over a young women peeing in the middle of the trail. That was bad enough but the part that totally amazed me was the fact that there was a pit toilet about 100' away. Then when I passed by their camp some of her friends were spraying the air with a big can of Raid to chase off mosquitoes. I assumed they had not done much backpacking.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 4:10 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
I came down off Aasgard Pass one time and was hiking around Colchuck Lake when I rounded a corner and almost ran over a young women peeing in the middle of the trail. That was bad enough but the part that totally amazed me was the fact that there was a pit toilet about 100' away.
Using the trail is a little goofy(*), but I'm right there with her on avoiding those stinky, fly-ridden pits for number one. Assuming there was no paper involved, of course.
HitTheTrail wrote:
Then when I passed by their camp some of her friends were spraying the air with a big can of Raid to chase off mosquitoes. I assumed they had not done much backpacking.
That's a new one! * And no, I can't claim to have never been goofy.