Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Commercial Air Travel
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:22 am 
An interesting, and long, article on today's air travel

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 10:55 am 
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/02/how-airline-ticket-prices-fell-50-in-30-years-and-why-nobody-noticed/273506/ A whine fest of an article that completely ignores the above. Don't like skimpy seats? Pony up for domestic first class. Want to be able to stretch out international? Sorry, but if you want that 600 buck flight to NZ, it ain't going to happen - open the wallet for B-class and you're good to go.

whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 2:14 pm 
Airlines charge an insane amount for first class, so that is not an option for most people. "Premium Economy" sections on airplanes are now available on many flights, and can provide a bit of relief in overcrowded cabins for not too much extra money. I've used premium economy in the past and have enjoyed the extra comfort. It is a step in the right direction. I think the solution to the problems with air travel would involve several steps. First, the government needs to step in with a little bit of extra regulation. Forbid overbooking for starters. A functional air travel system needs to have a bit of slack in the system, namely a few empty seats on the planes to accommodate problems due to aircraft breakdowns and other situations where passengers need to switch flights. And I think that overcrowded airplanes are becoming a safety hazard. Also, a medical hazard - read up on deep vein thrombosis. And, larger people simply don't fit in the tiny seats. I would suggest requiring a minimum seat pitch, say 30 inches. Yes I know that the airplane manufactures test the evacuation process at these ultra dense seating configurations, but who knows what will happen in a real emergency with smoke, flames, and debris in the cabin. The other fix I would propose would be market based. The current ticket market is truly defective because ticket purchasers have little idea of the comfort they will get when the book a ticket. This encourages a race to the bottom as price becomes the only distinguishing feature when someone is searching the booking systems for flights to take. To fix this, I would require that seating should be rated in a detailed manner similar to hotels with a letter code indicated quality of service. An "A" would be premium first class with certain luxuries standard. "F" would be the worst seating with minimum seat pitch like on Spirit Airlines. "E" would be like the typical premium economy with a 34" minimum seat pitch. "D" might include free drinks and meals, along with other perks such as free luggage check in. . "C" would even be better with wider seats and even better seat pitch. "B" would be like typical business class. These codes would be made obvious when someone purchases a ticket. Armed with such information, passengers could better select how much they want to spend for a given level of comfort, and might give the airlines an incentive to improve service, too. In the meantime, Happy flying!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 3:10 pm 
the thing is, the article asserts that a race to the bottom in price is what customers are mostly choosing to begin with. Folks will complain endlessly about all kinds of things, then turn right around and prove what they *actually* value when you look at the choices...cost cost cost, regardless. IMO, using regulation to get what they won't choose to pay for when they already have the choice to pay more and get these things when it's their dime, is insupportable. Besides, if it was that big a deal any airline could implement such a system on their own, and advertise you know what you're getting upfront in seat room

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 pm 
If I could fly to New Zealand for $600(!!), I'd be willing to sit in a cardboard box.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:44 pm 
Exactly! What people say they want in a vacuum when not a dime of their $$ is leaving their hands is very different from what they *prove* they'll accept when a dime of their own money is leaving their hands. I'd do the same to get to NZ!

ejain

ejain
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 11:54 pm 
whitebark wrote:
First, the government needs to step in with a little bit of extra regulation.
...while getting rid of counterproductive regulations, like prohibiting airlines that aren't sufficiently US-owned from competing on domestic routes.
whitebark wrote:
The current ticket market is truly defective because ticket purchasers have little idea of the comfort they will get when the book a ticket.
If you care about comfort, seatguru.com is a useful resource.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 8:39 am 
Traveling by bus in the developing world (Or even here in the USA) a bit will provide some perspective on the convience and comfort of modern air travel.

whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 5:40 pm 
Actually, many third world countries have remarkably nice luxury or first class buses that put Greyhound to shame. Perhaps we could use some first class long haul bus systems here in the U.S. This raises another point - that perhaps there is an over-reliance on air travel in the U.S. High Speed Rail could could replace a lot of shorter flights, for example. However, building a high speed rail system here seems to be nearly impossible for many reasons political and economic, even in areas well suited to it like the densely populated eastern seaboard. Going back to my rating system for airlines, perhaps it should be broken down into two parts - a grade for service and for comfort. For comfort F = minimum Spirit Airlines type seating, E = 34" seat pitch min, D = 37" s.p, and more width, C = typical business class, B = typical first class, A = ultra deluxe first class with a lay-flat bed mode. For Service F = nothing, E = free drink and snack, D= E + free flight changes, checked luggage, C= E level service plus hot meals, B and A typical first class service with pillows, hot towels, free beer and margaritas, etc. So when people see that cheap looking Spirit Airlines fare on the Travelocity website and then see the big fat "F" grades, they may think twice about booking it. All this should show up prominently on the flight booking sites. Well that was fun to think about. None of this will ever happen, of course.

Washakie

Washakie
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 12:14 pm 
Looking back, air travel in the US has become one of the best bargains ever. I worked in the industry for 40 years starting in 1969. Back then, air passengers were either wealthy, in the military, or travelling due to an emergency. Now, it is often cheaper than driving. Some peope are just hard wired to complain.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 11:58 am 
whitebark wrote:
High Speed Rail could could replace a lot of shorter flights, for example. However, building a high speed rail system here seems to be nearly impossible for many reasons political and economic, even in areas well suited to it like the densely populated eastern seaboard.
What is it about people and choo-choo trains. Yeah, fun to play with as kids, but my goodness, a horrible way to move people. If it was suitable and economic to build high speed pax rail, someone would have done so long ago on their own dime. But, just like with practically EVERY stadium built for a pro sports team (cough, cough - Seattle) private money doesn't go there since they know it's a guaranteed money losing proposition. Read the history of US pax rail - it was in the dumps for a long time before it was passed off to Amtrak, which has been, and always will be, a money sink. Just look at the boondoggle that is the Cali high speed line. Billions and billions in cap ex to make a line that will cost more to ride (even with the massive subsidies) than to fly, AND take longer as well. Hmmmm....pay more, take longer on clickety-clackety rail....pay less, get there faster in a big-ole-jet-airliner.....what shall I choose? Trains are good for one thing - moving cargo. The US has an excellent freight rail system. Next up on "Bad Ideas" - transatlantic passenger ships instead of flying.

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 4:31 pm 
My view is that air travel these days is an amazing bargain and has an incredible safety record that folks often overlook. One thing that strikes me as really stupid is the overhead compartments. I can't remember the last time I was on a flight where the overhead compartments weren't crammed full, and I have a hunch that most of the time it takes to load and unload a plane comes from passengers loading and unloading their suitcases into those compartments. And I almost never see anyone retrieve an item from the overhead bins during flights. So here's my proposal! Airlines should offer a free checked bag, but charge for the use of the overhead bins. It wouldn't drastically change the weight of the luggage at take off, and folks could still use the under the seat option for items they will actually need during flight. Think of how fast we'd get off the plane! Think of how fast we'd get on the plane! Why don't airline executives read hiking forums anymore?!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 5:35 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
What is it about people and choo-choo trains. Yeah, fun to play with as kids, but my goodness, a horrible way to move people
I agree that high speed rail in the western USA is a pipedream for at least a century. However on the east coast between Boston and DC rail service is heavily used. In Europe rail service is extensive and worthwhile. Population density is the key, France and Oregon have roughly the same land area. France has 67 million people, Oregon 4 million. Low cost airlines have sprung up in Europe as Well, but getting a good deal on these flights requires luck and knowledge and not traveling at peak periods. It's,also quirky. On a short Ryanair flight, I tracked the flight path and it seemed that they flew an extended arc on the route in order to add 10 minutes to the flight time-- so the flight attendants would have time to sell lottery scratch tickets.

ejain

ejain
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 pm 
Washakie wrote:
Looking back, air travel in the US has become one of the best bargains ever.
That may be so, but progress appears to have stalled in recent years.

ejain

ejain
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 11:01 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
private money doesn't go there
Looks like $200M+ private money just went there :-)