Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Mountain Bike recommendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 9:32 am 
Ah yes. One person intimated that he performed an extremely dangerous and illegal act. lol.gif So, the rest of us must be guilty by association. Guess I better get me a motorcycle so's I kin chase animals until there harts burst. Yesh, so using your methodology, all hikers should be outlawed because some are doing illegal acts. Right. Same with driving. I bet you speed!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 1:45 pm 
CJ, whatever you end up buying, it's worth the effort to make sure the bike fits you in all dimensions. This is not always easy to determine if you buy online or e-bay/craigslist. A good bike shop with a knowledgeable fitter is the best place to start. imo, a bike that does not fit is not worth any small amount of money, no matter how little it cost.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 7:48 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Yesh, so using your methodology, all hikers should be outlawed because some are doing illegal acts. Right. Same with driving. I bet you speed!
I put up with being banned as a mtn biker for decades in most of western WA with that line of reasoning. Shouldn't the same apply to you? I didn't figure I was the exception to the rules though.

friluftsliv
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:07 pm 
That's a good reminder, thanks. The last bike I bought, a Giant Iguana, I got a great deal on it, but it was too big for me...but kept it for awhile and sold it for a profit.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 7:59 am 
How do you keep a bike secure at a trailhead? That's my worry about taking an e-bike to a trailhead. We don't have the problems here at most of the trailheads like those around Seattle, but I'd still worry. If I hid it well, would I have trouble finding it? I've had that happen with a pack, although I am way more woodsy wise now and have managed to find the occasional dog poopage bag that I've hidden to pick up on the way back. I'm having a hard time not ordering an e-bike right away after having ridden one! The memory of the fun is taunting me.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 8:27 am 
treeswarper wrote:
How do you keep a bike secure at a trailhead?
Walk bicycle off trail out of sight of the TH or trail Lie bicycle flat on ground outside sight from trail or TH, lock bicycle to tree with cable Cover bicycle with tree boughs and/or camo tarp
treeswarper wrote:
If I hid it well, would I have trouble finding it?
Mark position of bicycle with a GPS waypoint

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 2:07 pm 
boot up wrote:
I am also just reminding people that the Forest Service is enforcing anything with a motor, electric or gas, is considered a motorcycle. If you think the rules don't apply to you, that is your business.
Except Di2. Which is delicious.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 2:12 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
How do you keep a bike secure at a trailhead?
You don't. Steve's method is called "security by obscurity" and it's better than leaving a bike in plain sight. Even if you lock the frame and both wheels, bikes are meant to be taken apart and put back together mostly with common tools. I can't count how many frames I've seen locked to sign posts, with missing parts (the ones worth stealing). Just as cars get broken into sometimes at trailheads, bikes get stolen; it's a fact of life.