Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Huge wasp nest in the garage. Time to call in the experts?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 6:32 am 
Tom wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Better living through Chemistry.
After leaving things to chemistry for 24 hours there's no sign of life tonight. I think the stragglers just needed time to revisit the doused hive. Going to leave the hive as is for another night just in case.
I think you've got it. Just don't read The Shining. Had you sprayed at night, it might have gone a bit quicker. The theory is that all the bees (a generic term for all stinging wasps, etc.) would be in the nest for the night and be killed. I had a similar nest on the eave of the house and let it be as long as they did not sting me while I worked around it. The wasps seemed docile and never bothered me, even when I was running the lawnmower below.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 6:43 am 
treeswarper wrote:
It usually says to spray during the night when all the wee beasts should bee in the nest. During the day they are out and about.
My son was hit by a wasp, bee or something a few years ago, and his face and neck became swollen quickly as I was rushing him to the ER. After that episode was all over, I went to dispose of the in-ground nest, and he wouldn't allow the use of chemicals. shakehead.gif So a search on the 'net offered various concoctions, but the one that I think did the most good was several pans of boiling water poured down the entrance. I offer this as a bit of info for use by anyone who might need a quick resource for eradicating that kind of nest.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 11:05 am 
^ last yellow-jacket nest I had to take out was in a rock retaining wall. tried the aerosol "bombs" first. they put a dent in the population, but didn't take them all out. about a pint of paint thinner and a match took care of the rest of them. I would have ordinarily used gasoline, but paint thinner was the only flammable liquid on hand at that moment. best to go after nest/hive after dark when all the little workers go home and check in for the night. otherwise you're leaving all kinds of stragglers who will be buzzing around for a couple days trying to figure out where home is. I would have just waited until after dark, gone in with a flashlight, and scooped the entire thing into a big plastic garbage bag and then disposed of the whole bag. If you're careful, you can "bag" those big paper hornet nests without damaging them - just in case you have friends or acquaintances who collect hornet nests.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 12:30 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Had you sprayed at night, it might have gone a bit quicker.
I actually did spray at night. Around 10 PM. That said I did turn on the lights to pull back the boxes to uncover the hive and then spray. Wasn't going to stumble around the garage in the dark with a headlamp.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 am 
Bug zapper just out side their entrance. Once one gets zapped the rest attack the bug zapper.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 9:17 pm 
I got a wasp nest too out in the side yard that I've been rather laissez-faire about... so good to read about others. Followed up on Navy Salads tip on free wasp removal and found this - http://cascadiavenomcollection.com/ -- Cascadia Venom Collection "Cascadia Venom Collection specializes in the free removal of live, unsprayed hornet, yellowjacket, bee & wasp nests. The insects collected are sold to labs that extract their venom for use in allergy immunotherapy." Looks like the season is winding down for hornets (over) and wasps in October... but I'll give them a call tomorrow and see how that goes.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 11:07 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Bug zapper just out side their entrance. Once one gets zapped the rest attack the bug zapper.
eek.gif What a great idea!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 1:28 pm 
Tom never does anything small! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 am 
I've witnessed two exterminators deal with stinging insects: 1. Paper wasp nest a little smaller than a football, hanging under an eave: Guy in full white beekeeper suit climbed up a ladder, cut down the nest into a bucket of water, and put a lid on the bucket. 2. Yellow jacket nest behind outdoor siding of a building: Guy with big tank of liquid strapped to his back sprayed the entrance and around it for about 20 seconds -- the liquid was a virus. About a dozen yellow jackets came out and fell to the ground, dying. Over the next week or so, more came out every day, and died, with the number getting smaller every day, until there were none. They didn't return. Incidentally, the yellow jacket guy had to stand within four feet of the entrance of the nest to access it. Before he sprayed the virus, he said he had to get mad, because getting angry would replace the fear pheromone that he'd otherwise give off -- and that the yellow jackets would track toward. He said a couple of angry sentences with some intensity, and then sprayed, which made for a funny scene. I'd never heard of a virus being used to exterminate yellow jackets, nor had I heard of getting angry to mask a fear pheromone.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 am 
Blue Dome wrote:
the liquid was a virus. About a dozen yellow jackets came out and fell to the ground, dying.
That's one fast-acting virus! Sounds more like an insecticide to me. Then again, I'm no expert on pest control.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 10:45 am 
The guy said it was a virus and we briefly talked about it. Might not take much to overwhelm such a little creature. It was definitely a yellow jacket apocalypse.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 12:46 pm 
I wonder if getting angry would prevent yellow jacket stings while hiking. You'd need to see the nest in time, and it's location would make it hard to avoid. So sneak past it while thinking angry thoughts.