Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Fish Tales...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 6:12 pm 
I know you guys and gals must have some great fish stories, real , imagined or maybe just slightly exaggerated? winksmile.gif If you do, please share them here. I will start. Recently fishing a high mountain lake in Wa state my friend and I were catching rainbows and cutts on nearly every cast. They do plant the lake and the fish aren't really big, but are active and plentiful. They averaged 8"-10" sometimes a bit larger or smaller. They were hitting dry flies, wet flies, and really liked a copper and red rooster tail. I found a couple of offerings they didn't like. I caught my limit in an hour or so, they are currently in the lil smoker. I am using mesquite chips (they were out of applewood) and made up a brine of bourbon, molasses, soy, vanilla, and a few other things. You can actually drive to the lake, although it's about 45 miles from the nearest town. Don't ask me where it is...I might take you there if I like you, but I will not divulge the location. This story is mostly true..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 10:46 am 
You guys are either boring or don't fish, lol. Where I grew up in North Dakota there was a meatpacking plant just east of town, they would dump the animal waste directly into the Missouri river. That became a favorite fishing spot for huge Northern Pike, they would linger just off shore to feast on the beef, pork, etc. They have huge mouths and teeth. We had to use steel leaders when fishing for them.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 10:49 am 
that's a pretty big fish for inland waters! wow. I hear lakers and even brookies can get pretty huge too. Never caught a laker, but I hear there were some planted in Isabel. Biggest brookie I've ever caught was about 12"

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 am 
The Northern Pike caught there were actually about that size only way fatter. They put up a great fight but weren't the best table fare...my Grandfather refused to eat them, he liked Walleye and Catfish. I live half the year near Priest Lake in Idaho and they have huge lake trout and some nice kokanee, I probably should look into buying a boat. Then there is the license issue. Since I am a Wa resident, I would have to purchase a 3 day pass to fish here. Why is ones drivers license valid in any other state but not ones fishing license? Just found this link, $98 for an Idaho non-resident license.. https://idfg.idaho.gov/licenses/fees-nonresident a lot better than $25 for a 3 day pass.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 1:14 pm 
I fish quite a bit, for trout specifically, and I really like to catch fish out of "unlikely" water. One of the most unlikely spots (from appearances) was out of the middle of a meadow in the Beartooths. I was crossing a meadow and it was so beautiful that I plopped my butt down in the middle of the meadow to lay on my back on the the flowered carpet and stare at the billowing clouds. I hear a gurgling sound right next to my head and there, in the middle of a field of grass and flowers, was a small hole with what appeared to be running water flowing inside it. Out of curiosity, and a desire to maybe find something nobody else has noticed, I took out my fly rod and dangled a small fly over the hole. In a flash a small Brookie popped up and took my fly! I was catching fish out of a hole about 1' in diameter, in the middle of a field. The nearest open water, a stream, was easily 100 yards away and actually downhill from the meadow, with slopes above on 3 sides. Apparently this meadow formed over a talus field and water continued to run beneath it, through the rocks beneath the meadow, and that is where the fish took up residence...right under that little hole in the grass in the middle of the meadow. I have also tickled trout...For real...not kidding...it can be done but only when certain conditions exist (small stream, concentrated holding spots for the trout, etc). However, they don't laugh or giggle when you tickle them. They do sizzle nicely in a fry pan though.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Sir Homey

Sir Homey
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 2:00 pm 
Was fishing a chain of alpine lakes here in WA not long ago. The 2 major lakes are separated by a waterfall. The lower lake has species of trout that the upper lake does not. The intel on the lakes was that the falls is significant and a barrier to upstream fish migration. Well there I am tubing in the upper lake and get a nice hit on a slow-retrieved streamer. Reel it in and damn if it isn't a trout species from the lower lake. It's the only one I've ever caught in years of fishing the upper lake. In my mind I just imagine that one die hard fish, sitting in the stream looking up at the falls and thinking... "I can make it, I know I can! See you guys later!" These things fascinate me. Nature always finds a way.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:36 pm 
Schenk wrote:
I fish quite a bit, for trout specifically, and I really like to catch fish out of "unlikely" water. One of the most unlikely spots (from appearances) was out of the middle of a meadow in the Beartooths.....
That's a great story! A friend of mine said there is a golf course somewhere in Idaho that has huge bass in the water traps. He said a friend of his got drunk one night, went fishing there, ended up passing out until the cops woke him up in the morning. He accrued several charges. shakehead.gif

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 10:13 pm 
Maybe a bird moved the fish to the upper lake? Or maybe an egg gets moved in a carcass? Most likely a human did it.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 12:44 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Or maybe an egg gets moved in a carcass?
It would have been sterile if that was the case. Trout eggs get fertilized after they get laid.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 4:02 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Maybe a bird moved the fish to the upper lake?
That is possible. A few years ago I watched an osprey drop a fish from est. 50 feet. The fish hit the water and swam away.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 4:38 pm 
I wish the osprey would plant candy bars on summits.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 6:40 pm 
Ha, good point Belvedere! There has to be more good fish stories out there. I once saw a fish far up a stream that I didn't know had any fish. It's stuck in my mind for over 40 years! One of my youthful memories from an off trail adventure when I was a kid. No wonder why I keep going into the wilderness.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 4:03 am 
I've been out to the Snohomish river fishing for salmon about 5 times this year. The third time I was out I hooked into a big boy. I was working him in for a good 30-40 minutes. I would get some line and he would take it back and so on. Finally got him up to the bank and it was a huge king. My arms were as tired as they have ever been. Barely had enough strength to lift him from the water, but I did and realized it was a small shark. WTF, right? I did not know we had sharks in our waters that could swim up river. Trying to get the hook from its mouth he bit down and cut to the bone on my palm. Almost took my hand off. I decided to cast back out and see if I could catch another. Was this a fluke or should I warn the others? Needless to say I still swim in the rivers of Washington.

none
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 am 
I think I hooked a salmon on the Alsea River, just up from the bay. I was in my kayak and drifting upriver with the tide. I felt a grab on the hook and the boat turned around and I started going downriver, against the tide. I steered with my feet on rudder paddles, but then whatever was on my line got away. My plan was to go with the fish pulling until I could steer the kayak to a sand bar, and then land the fish, but that didn't happen. I almost got kabonked by a large salmon at the outlet of the Siltcoos River. They look quite large when they are about to come down on the front of the kayak. It managed to miss me, barely. I have a witness for that one.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
uww

uww
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Why is ones drivers license valid in any other state but not ones fishing license?
The licence to drive is primarily to ensure that you know the rules of the road and will be a safe operator of your motor vehicle. The funds collected support the licencing procedure itself, not the road infrastructure. The licence to fish is given without restriction, primarily as a means to collect revenue to support stocking lakes and other fishery management activities. So you already knowing 'how to fish' does not matter. It's more of a fishing fee paid to those who try to ensure there will always be enjoyable fishing available.