Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Mountain Bike recommendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 5:29 pm 
After hiking today in North Idaho where the trails are mostly flat and smooth and after being passed by a guy on a mountain bike and after my feet began to hurt, I decided it's time to purchase a mountain bike and probably an electric motor kit to fit it. I am looking to buy a hardtail, not a full suspension bike, but I would like the front shocks to be pretty stiff and good quality. I am thinking medium quality price and either a Specialized or maybe a Giant bike. Anyone have experience adding an electric motor kit to a mountain bike? It would seem that with Lithium Ion battery technology, they should be lighter, more powerful and last longer. Not sure which frame size I need, I am about 5'9" with a 30" inseam, and am in average physical condition, am a decent rider, but far, far from expert, lol. A quick scan of CL found this bike, almost new and seems like a good price? https://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/d/very-nice-specialized-mt-bike/6316770307.html I know Hulksmash has an electric bike, but he purchased his already electrified and for over $1200....I want to stay around $500 for a used bike and electric motor kit although I will likely purchase a spare battery as well. Thoughts?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 6:14 pm 
You should be able to get an older hardtail for around 100 bucks which is what I paid for a Trek 830 in good condition recently. Not sure of the compatibility with the electric assist but you might check by a bike shop or two to inquire. I would guess a 19-21 inch frame would work for you. The 26" in the ad you posted likely refers to the tire size.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 7:04 pm 
FWIW: I recently bought a early '90s Trek 850 off of the Seattle Craigslist for $60. The only thing it needed was lubing the chain. The frame is True Temper Chromoly -- so the bike is fairly light. Putting an electric motor will require some good mechanical skills -- but a friend of mine recently bought a commercial eBike -- and has been raving about it. With it she has dramitically cut the number of miles she is racking up on her car. She had a bike before -- but with Seattle hills and all didn't commute by bike so frequently -- but with the eBike -- its the car that is sitting at home most of the time.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 7:54 pm 
The electric bike conversion kits range from about $150 on Ebay to about $1500...looks like I might have to spend around 5-700 for a quality kit. https://www.ebikekit.com/collections/bicycle-kits

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 pm 
Why not just buy an electric bike? They are the kludge fest, adding a drive. The integrated E-bikes are nicely done these days. Do take into account the Forest Service considers electric bikes the same as a motorcycle, which I think is a proper approach. Slippery slope otherwise if you stray from the definition of "human powered".

friluftsliv
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 6:38 am 
Funny, I was about to start a thread on E-bikes. I just rode one for the first time at Ocean Shores and now think I'll get one. I don't know what brand it was that we rode, but they were new to the rental place and had small, fat tires, were foldable, and I could lift it after the battery was removed. I can see using it on the really bad roads to get to the super secret huckleberry patches. Not to mention that it was just fun to be zooming along on the beach, pedaling but not sweating! We just need more currant bushes in the woods. lol.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 4:41 pm 
I bought a Rad Rover a couple of months ago from Rad Power bikes in Seattle. I can't begin to say how awesome this thing is. https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/radrover Its so quiet you can't hear the motor over the noise of the tires on the ground. To keep nosey park rangers from getting suspicious about a motorized bike on "non-motorized" trails I bought this cargo bag and cut a slit up the edge to fit over the battery to hide it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074XRWZH6/ Trails far up the Carbon River Road and West Side Roads are now easily accessible to me. paranoid.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 5:14 pm 
I've been researching electric bicycle mods, planning to someday get a conversion kit then build a frame around it. Here's what I've learned: For dirt road, abandoned road beds and trails, a mid-drive kit is the way to go because it provides much more torque and uses the bicycle gearing. The Bafang BBS02 mid-drive kit is well-reviewed, available from Luna Cycles for $400. Battery is extra. Bafang BBSHD is more powerful and costs $679 + battery. Luna Cycles has links to pics of old bicycles converted with both of the above. Luna also has videos of installation. Looks pretty easy if you got a knack for general bicycle repair. There are cheaper mid-drive kits available, although the reviews are not as positive as the Bafang kits.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 5:45 pm 
Wow, I really like the looks of the Radrover fatbike! Now to get over the sticker shock and buy one. Maybe wait and see if I get a tax refund. Since I would need to purchase a mountain bike anyway I would be in around $700-800 if I install a good kit...hmmm. The thing I like the best about the E-bike is that you can access places you normally couldn't, plus if you pedal a lot, you get a good workout too. This E-bike is a lot less expensive, but not sure of the quality as compared to the Radrover. Looking at the specs it appears to have about half the power. www.electropedal.com/products/x-treme-alpine-trails-electric-bicycle?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=9342095043&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgb3OBRDNARIsAOyZbxBcJFLrrNNOOa5Str6x9uxmtbBWOYQvpgyIGHcseMeIKN6q2tWo2G8aAo6VEALw_wcB

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 6:20 am 
I was thinking a folding bike would be good for me. That's what we rode at the beach. The bikes folded up, but were still pretty beefy. The RadRover keeps popping up as a good one. Then there's this one, from our neighbor to the north. Canadian bike

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 7:31 am 
This is why the Forest Service has to draw the line and put e-bikes into the same category as motorcycles. Electric moto-x

friluftsliv
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:02 am 
boot up wrote:
This is why the Forest Service has to draw the line and put e-bikes into the same category as motorcycles. Electric moto-x
I don't think that video has anything to do with what we are talking about, unless you suspect we have a conspiracy to build motocross tracks in the forest. My motives for an electric bike are to be able to go on old roads that are not being maintained to get to a point. Or to have fun going to the Post Office. Or I CAN ride on a lot of trails around here because they are motorized. The Boundary Trail would be a good one as the pumice makes for more difficult peddling. Blue Lake is another. Etc etc. I have no desire to build a motocross track in the wilderness. shakehead.gif We certainly don't need to turn this into another evil bikers trying to invade the wilderness with unleashed dogs, camps on heather, pooping all over the wetlands, building cairns and wearing bright colored clothing whilst having music cranked up thread. Oh, and e-bikes differ from motorcycles when it comes to licensing and "street legal" requirements. That's another good thing. Our state considers them to be bicycles as long as they stay under 20mph, which is strange because I've gone faster on my regular mountain bike going downhill.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 am 
treeswarper wrote:
boot up wrote:
I don't think that video has anything to do with what we are talking about,
I am referencing the "slippery slope" effect. Where do you draw the line? I am sure everyone on this forum has only the best intentions and would never rip an E-moto-x down a "bicycles allowed" trail, but opening the door will cause things to slide that way. I am also just reminding people that the Forest Service is enforcing anything with a motor, electric or gas, is considered a motorcycle. If you think the rules don't apply to you, that is your business. I love e-bikes in general as a way to get people away from internal combustion solutions and welcome....on the roads.

friluftsliv
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:18 am 
If you are afraid of "slippery slopes" better stay at home. Please tell me where I mentioned breaking any rules? Please point out where anybody but you has mentioned breaking any rules?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:40 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
To keep nosey park rangers from getting suspicious about a motorized bike on "non-motorized" trails I bought this cargo bag and cut a slit up the edge to fit over the battery to hide it.

friluftsliv