Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bayocean, the town that fell into the sea. Oregon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 8:38 pm 
I had five days off last week, as I do every other week, so I spent Saturday packing the car and running errands, and on Sunday September 24th I drove to Cape Lookout state park in Oregon at the base of the Netarts Spit. This is a great park for tent campers, inexpensive, I had site B20, I highly recommend it, surrounded on three sides by dense salal foliage. I took a nice walk down the spit for the sunset, it is miles long, and as I found again and again on this trip, the ocean side of these spits and peninsulas are peaceful and remote, much more so than the typical Oregon beach.
Monday I drove just a few miles north to Oceanside, Oregon, and hiked up the beach to the secret tunnel through the cliff that leads to a secret beach. OK, maybe it isn't a complete secret, but it is cool. You must go at low tide if you want to explore. Cliffs, sea stacks, arch rocks, it's pretty special.
Tuesday was the main attraction: a bicycling and beach walking tour of Bayocean Peninsula, home to the Town That Fell Into the Sea. Be advised: you must approach as if from Tillamook, not from Cape Meares, as the road is no longer a loop. From the parking lot I rode the bike up the dike road on the bay side of the peninsula, and it was nice but I was still glad for the bike. I came to the side trail marked "Townsite trail", so I took the detour. I found a good campsite up in there, plus the beach was just one high dune away, not bad for this area. I marked some landmarks in my memory, for I hoped to come back this way from the beach side on my return.
Back on the road, I went through the woodsy sections, then almost to the end, before turning west towards the ocean at a marked trail. I did some pushing of the bike to get through the dunes, but at least the terrain was flat at this point.
The tide was coming in by then, and I was afraid I was going to be pushing the bike all the way back on soft sand, but there was still enough firm damp sand exposed that I was able to ride most of the way. It was amazing out there, it felt like I was the only person on the planet.
I took advantage of a wind shelter someone had built, though it wasn't that windy, and lounged for maybe two hours, it was sweet. Then I took on the truly herculean task of getting my heavy bike up the really steep dune and down the other side. I had to practically throw the bike up the dune ahead of me, then struggle up to it, then repeat. But it was just one dune, then a nice trail, then the road back to the car. Whoops, those last couple of pics, starting with the purple one, are from back at Cape Lookout campground and beach.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerman

hikerman
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 9:09 pm 
up.gif Noted for future trip idea!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 9:28 pm 
Bayocean peninsula is one of just a few places you can backpack on the Oregon coast.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 9:35 pm 
looks like a great site! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I drove to Cape Lookout state park in Oregon at the base of the Netarts Spit. This is a great park for tent campers, inexpensive,...surrounded on three sides by dense salal foliage.
Excellent report and discovery. Brings back memories. I actually stayed here back in 2008 with my brother. It's a great location. He had come out to Oregon to explore the Oregon Coast and the Columbia River Gorge. We did a lot of exploring based on Lewis and Clark's expedition. I have never heard of Bayocean. That's a sad tale. They started out so well until they built that single jetty. Quote: Bayocean had many features uncommon for a small town of its time, including a dance hall, a hotel with orchestra, a 1000-seat movie theater, a shooting range, a bowling alley, tennis courts, a rail system and four miles of paved streets. One notable attraction was a heated natatorium, complete with a wave generator and a special section for a band to play music to entertain the swimmers. While Bayocean's economy was based on tourism, there were other businesses in town, including a cannery, a tin shop, a machine shop, and a Texaco gas station. In a time when many other towns did not have technological infrastructure like electricity or paved roads, Bayocean hosted a water system, a telephone system and a diesel-driven power plant.' They built a jetty to improve access to the harbor and the effect started an erosion process that allowed storms to wash over the spit. Quote: "In 1932, waves from a massive storm finally crossed the beach and destroyed the huge natatorium. The spit itself was further damaged by winter storms in 1939, 1942, 1948, and by 1952 what was left of Bayocean had become an island. Bayocean's post office closed in 1953. What little remained of the town was demolished during the reclamation and dike-building project of 1956." That was quite the bike ride. I hope you got all the sand out of your gears. wink.gif Great report, Sluggo! ~z

Chico

Chico
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 10:22 pm 
Bayocean sounds eerily similar to Washington's Washaway Beach and North Cove.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 am 

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 12:34 pm 
They actually had a railroad there of sorts. It was narrow gauge and the ties were just set on the sand. The actual town site is still pretty much covered with the Pacific now. There are a few relics if you know where to look. Not much fresh water there and what there is is pretty funky. Family has a cabin near there in Rockaway.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 1:58 pm 

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 10, 2020 4:46 am 

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Jun 10, 2020 9:50 am 
Chico wrote:
Bayocean sounds eerily similar to Washington's Washaway Beach and North Cove.
The video linked by Slugman is so informative. I wish I had known about Bayocean when I was teaching Oceanography. It is an even more dramatic example of messing with coastal processes than another infamous example, North Cove ('Washaway Beach') on the north entrance of Willapa Bay.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 10, 2020 11:29 am 
I feel completely satiated with Bayocean knowledge after watching that video. OPB has almost 200 Oregon Field Guide episodes on their Youtube page. Last year I did an overnight trip to Bayocean, camped in one of the several excellent campsites about two miles from the parking lot. I used a jogging stroller to haul in an 80 pound comfort camp, easy-peasy using the bay side access road.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 10, 2020 12:09 pm 
Awesome vid, thanks for posting.

Dick B

Dick B
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 4:42 pm 
Another interesting site to visit on the internet is the Tillamook Rock Light house also known as Terrible Tilly. It's been sitting on a rock off the Oregon coast for 120 years and still hasn't washed away. A tribute to the folks that constructed it. It has an interesting history.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 5:29 pm 
Loved the video have been there many times. I have one of the books mentioned in the video. Also have one on Terrible Tilly. Have spent lots of time on the coast. Hopefully it will not get too popular.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn