Forum Index > Trail Talk > USFS GIS server now has public trail data for Mt. Baker Snoqualmie NF
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 am 
The map below displays GIS trail data straight from the USFS ArcGIS server to your screen. As you pan around this map the GIS server only sends you enough ‘tiles’ to fill your screen plus a bit more. If you click a trail then you will see a display with all the attribute data the GIS server has for the thing that you clicked. If you would like to understand more about this public-facing GIS trail data, then please click “Map Tips” in the upper left corner and read the section “About trail data”.
View larger size in new window

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 7:03 am 
I have updated the map you see in my post above. The new layer “FSTopo_download” will let you download FSTopos in the form of GeoPDF and/or GeoTiff. For more information, please click “Map Tips” in the upper left corner, scroll down and click “About FSTopo download”. Also, for many forests (but not all) the “Trail_class” layer will show you at a glance whether you are looking at a main trail or little more than a bootpath. To get the most benefit from the trail data this map can display please click “Map Tips” and read “About trail data”.

whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 2:37 pm 
Interesting to see the trail route data! Thanks for updating gmap4 to display it.

Chico

Chico
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 2:56 pm 
Thanks. Very interesting!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 pm 
Wow, I'm impressed. Someone must be doing some updates to the data in addition to moving the bits around. Many of the USFS trails that were badly out of date have been fixed. There are still some curiosities -- I challenge anyone to find the trail down to Lake Kulla Kulla. If you do, I want to hear about it.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Nov 05, 2017 8:11 am 
I just updated the trail display on the Gmap4 National Forest Recreation Map. Trails are defined on the Forest Service GIS server as consisting of one or more trail segments. Now when you click a trail the map will show a red circle at the endpoints for the trail segment you clicked and small red dots along that trail segment. The distance data you saw in the attribute display should be the approximate distance of that trail segment. If you click on a trail junction then the attribute display and the map will show more than one trail segment. At least for the MBSNF trail segment endpoints are sometimes at seemingly random spots along the trail. Also not every trail junction is a segment endpoint for the main trail. To delete the red circles and dots, click the map where there is no trail.
View larger size in new window

Chico

Chico
PostSun Nov 05, 2017 8:13 pm 
Juan del Bosque

Juan del Bosque
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 9:34 pm 
I visited Kulla Kulla in September. I bushwhacked in from the north. I was surprised to see a new trail cut along the timbered shoreline and a gorgeous firepit in the main campsite which was close to a sandy beach. I followed the trail around and up to beyond Little Kulla Kulla where I lost it in rocks, but I believe it must have a terminus on the Defiance Trail. It was obviously cut as a scrambling route--like the Enchantments route up from Snow.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Nov 09, 2017 1:33 am 
Juan del Bosque wrote:
I was surprised to see a new trail cut
Thanks for that info. I have not been down to the lake except in winter with snow, but have exhaustively searched for the trail from the top. I will get down there in the summer sometime, especially now that you mention some recent work. I wonder if some of that was done for the major rescue effort in June, 2017. SAR would not have built a firepit, however.

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 am 
AWESOME!!!