Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fire in the Teanaway 10/6/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
blendergasket

blendergasket
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 11:27 pm 
My plan is to go up there next weekend and larch. I hope it's all fixed and reopened by then. Sounds like it will be.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostSun Oct 08, 2017 9:41 am 
Damned I was hoping to go tomorrow... Guess I need plan b... Morons...

yukon222

yukon222
PostSun Oct 08, 2017 10:29 am 
Can’t you just drive 97 and go left near Mineral Springs on 9738 and come out at Jack Creek well north of this brush fire area? Longer drive than the more direct typical route up the main Teanaway road.

pipedream

pipedream
PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:40 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Damned I was hoping to go tomorrow... Guess I need plan b... Morons...
A TR on the WTA page for Lake Ingalls from today indicates that the road should be fully reopened tomorrow morning. Hopefully that'll be the case - if not, going in via the alt route on FS 9738 should be manageable.

Chico

Chico
PostSun Oct 08, 2017 8:21 pm 
Road still not open to traffic. Kittitas County Fire District 7 has this image posted to their Facebook page. Has a bit of info for those looking for some.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSun Oct 08, 2017 8:50 pm 
pipedream wrote:
Hopefully that'll be the case - if not, going in via the alt route on FS 9738 should be manageable.
Not familiar with that way to get in. Don't remember any other roads leading to the trailhead. Seemed like you drove to the end of the road and it was a dead end. Don't remember any real crossroads. Maybe I missed something.

Chico

Chico
PostSun Oct 08, 2017 9:13 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Maybe I missed something.
Jack Creek is just before 29 Pines campground and the end of the pavement. It goes up and over Teanaway Ridge to US Highway 97. You come out at Mineral Springs. Milepost for the road intersection is 156.34 and it's signed as FS RD #9738. At the end of the short Swauk Creek Bridge. On a curve between guardrail and has a stop sign. Map centered on the FS road intersection with US Hwy 97. Follow the roads to the upper end of the Teanaway. https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=47.294134,-120.700264&z=14&t=t1 Looks like it is FS Road 9738 all the way. Looking at the satellite images, it's not a bridge (Swauk Creek) but a large culvert.

Chico

Chico
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 7:53 pm 
Sheriff has yet to post that the road is open to all traffic!

pipedream

pipedream
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 pm 
Gave ourselves an extra half-hour buffer this morning just in case the road was still closed (which it, apparently, was), took the route Chico described (having only drive it for the first time this summer while poking around up to Red Top LO right before the Jolly Mtn fire started), had no issues, encountered some absolutely beautiful FS road (buffed smooth, less than 10 potholes, no washboards) from 29 Pines to within a few hundred feet of the TH where the washouts didn't, in my mind, qualify as anything to write home about (a Prius made it through), only to pull into the parking area at 10am w/ a dozen cars already in it dizzy.gif. Apparently there was still a "Road Closed / Local Traffic Only" sign a couple hundred feet north of 907 sort of blocking the northbound lane of Teanaway Rd. but nobody staffing it and you could just drive right past. You can guess which route we took out tongue.gif

Chico

Chico
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 9:44 pm 
So long as drivers don't scream past any fire crews that might be on the pavement I would expect the sheriff to not really care too much if people ignore the road closed signs. Yes, that road has every time I've driven it (9738) been pretty nice. Popular with some of the cabin owners up the north fork who have snomobiles as well in winter. An easy jaunt to Mineral Springs for dinner.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 1:02 pm 
Just saw on Facebook that Teanaway road will reopen today (10/10/2017) as of 16:00 but to please use caution as fire crews are still working in the area.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 pm 
iron wrote:
Chico wrote:
It started at Pedersons place (2nd place past Conner lumber). Was started by brother in law shooting skeet in 2ft high dry grass.
guess they know where to send the bill and police officer.
You are forgetting about the 2nd amendment.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:45 pm 
Where does the 2nd amendment say it's OK to be an idiot and start a wildfire with irresponsible behavior?

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 3:46 pm 
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,...." That's where. The often omitted part of the one sentence amendment. It would be irresponsible to NOT practice shooting. How is a militia going to keep us secure without being able to hit what they are shooting at? Any attempt to regulate shooting is clearly prohibited by the 2nd amendment. Although it does have the word "regulate" in it. Back then that word probably referred to keeping the militia well fed, which is why our wannabee militia guys today eat so well.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 5:40 pm 
Oh, good I feel so secure now.