Forum Index > Trip Reports > "The Icicle Six" A Hit List. 10-4-2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 10:02 pm 
No, this isn't a story about a professional hired assassin mysteriously making bad and evil people disappear. But if it was, I wouldn't be doing it "ghillie suit, sniper style". I'd be doing it Native American style. Mountain Man style. Jeremiah Johnson style. Josey Wales style with a sprinkle of Ninja, "I reckon so". Quietly sneaking up behind them and taking them out quickly and silently. Possibly remove a ear or maybe their scalps with my weapons made of stone, antler, bone and wood. Yea, there's Colchuck Lake, Stuart Lake, Eighmile Lake, Caroline Lakes, Snow Lake to name the most popular. But there is also the "Icicle 6". That's what I call my list. 6 lakes that I have / had on my hit list. 6 lakes that are off the beaten path and rarely visited if seldom mentioned. All accessed directly, or, in 1 case, indirectly from the Icicle River Road. I crossed off #6. Thank you to HTT ( Hit The Trail ) not ( Holier Than Thou ) for the route information. Yea, I would have definatly gone straight, and not to the right, as you suggested, at the very beginning. Straight appears to be the most reasonable direction to go. The wrong way. Arrived at the parking area and the start of the bootpath / fisherman's trail @ 8:15 am. Geared up and moving by 8:30. A chilly 27 degrees. The path starts out flat, steep climb, bench, steep climb, bench, steep climb, another terrace, steep climb... yadda, yadda, yadda. This repeats about six times. After that, just steep climb. Very steep! Autumn colors were spectacular. I couldn't find a trip report specifically on this location. It's mentioned many times by passerbys on their way to other destinations. I only found one report that was focused on this location. A trip specifically for this destination. It was HTT's. Again, "Hit The Trail", NOT! "Holier Than Thou", but, I really don't know him very well. He may think very highly of himself. ( Do I need to put a smiley face so that all know I'm joking? ) Like I said, after the last terrace on the ascent, it's a very steep climb. Much of it through tallus and boulders. I couldn't find a route to this destination. So, I drew one in on CalTopo. I chose the most, what I assumed, was the reasonable route. I calculated about 1.5 to 1.7 miles. Ha! I was way off. I knew it was going to be a thigh burner. 3,600' in 1.7 miles? Nope! Strangely, when the distance changed, the elevation gain didn't. Not sure how that works. Whatever the equation and recalculation is, or isn't, it's bullsh##! The travel is gorgeous. Really beautiful views at the get go. They just get better and better as you ascend. I've said this before. Sometimes I feel like some of these areas are living and breathing with very cruel intentions. The area just looks evil. Jagged peaks & spires looking like they just want to topple over. Huge gigantic boulders in different stages of balancing acts. Danger wherever you look and at the same time, mesmerized by it's beauty and it's ability to snuff you out in a instant. Arrived at the lake in 3 hours. About 3 inches of snow on the ground. Areas and slopes clear of snow where exposed to the sun. Open terrain ripe for exploring and climbing. Head of the lake has a beautiful grove of larch trees. Stayed for nearly 2 hours getting acquainted with the area and enjoying the scenery. The descent took just as long as the ascent. In my fatigued condition and slipshod ( been wanting to use that word for awhile ) mindset I look a spill descending the slope of a large granite slab. "God Damn It!!!" Pissed at myself that I fell and "what could've been". Nothing serious but I'm always telling and reminding myself to always be careful. I was angry at my carelessness.
A little scraped up and bleeding, was back at the truck 3 hours later. Feet and knees throbbing. Hiking poles got good use. This is the first time I've ever had my sissy poles give me a blister on my sissy hands, and, I swing a hammer for a living. Encountered nobody the entire day. Lovely On the way home... I flyfish like I hike. Off the beaten path. Years ago, I stumbled upon a pit. A animal pit as I was off trail headed toward a section of river I wanted to fish. I believe this is where WSDOT dumps road kill. This is a great spot for raptor viewing. Golden Eagles, Bald Eagles and Vultures. I see one, if not all, every time I visit. I've thought about setting up a trail camera to see what other visitors come to feast. Many carcasses drug far from the main pit. With my somewhat twisted personality, I cant help myself to visit if I'm passing by the area. Now, I'm not the kind of person who tortured or killed pets and animals as a kid, but I can't help myself to see what goodies await in the pile. I will admit that I did try to bathe a cat when I was a kid, but not this cat.
What a fantastic autumn hike.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 10:50 pm 
nice. when we did the summit above that lake, we were all impressed by the geology of the area, the rich orange colors of the rocks, and the interspersed cliffs and waterfalls. funny that i didn't even notice the lake, but perhaps the snowcover was such that it was of little interest. great views of daniel from there!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 7:21 am 
Beautiful photos! I've never thought of an area having sinister intentions, but I could see how you could think that. Sorry you got scraped up.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 7:48 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Wow. I love this view. Full screen is best. ~z

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 7:48 am 
Simply gorgeous. Were you following any sort of a trail?

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 9:49 am 
HermitThrush wrote:
Simply gorgeous. Were you following any sort of a trail?
Yes. Absolutely beautiful area. Yes. It's established for about the first mile or so. After that, it's helter-skelter. Stacked cairns are misleading in many places. Map and / or GPS is recommended I actually thought out of all 6, this would have been the least established. On the contrary. It's the most established path. I believe it's a climbers route to the popular peak.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 pm 
got it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 12:47 pm 
The hardest thing about hiking Sylvester is finding the trail head. Great shots.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
iron

iron
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 12:50 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
The hardest thing about ...
you don't understand the game, eh PBJ?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 pm 
Great TR. up.gif Your pics of the lake make it look so innocent. That hike is anything but. However, I must say that is one boulder field where my wife did not bail on me. She went in there with me twice.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:49 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
I must say that is one boulder field where my wife did not bail on me. She went in there with me twice.
Haha! hihi.gif Something she prefers about that nasty boulder field over the one just a couple / few miles east? The one that kept you married? biggrin.gif up.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:56 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
HitTheTrail wrote:
I must say that is one boulder field where my wife did not bail on me. She went in there with me twice.
Haha! hihi.gif Something she prefers about that nasty boulder field over the one just a couple / few miles east? The one that kept you married? biggrin.gif up.gif
The first time into that lake we were not married yet so she had less leverage. Once you make a commitment and they set the hook dynamics of the relationship can change dramatically. mad.gif

Chico

Chico
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 pm 
Going to have to ask what the kill rate on the big cats is. Have to think it's pretty low. Might not even track them but will find out just to satisfy my own curiosity.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 10:58 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
sexting
Sorry, I just can't pass it up. So wildlife are sexting now? I didn't even know they had cell phones.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 6:26 pm 
What a great trip, I love the pics. Always meant to get up there, haven't done it yet. This report is an encouragement..for next year!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers