Forum Index > Trip Reports > Basalt/Garland Ridge 10/4
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 1:40 pm 
I did a series of hikes generally in the vicinity of Lake Wenatchee this week. I waffled back and forth quite a bit on which hikes to do. I ended up nixing the Carne Mtn/Leroy Creek loop and Little Giant Pass for probably no particularly good reason. Both would've been fantastic I'm sure (I have done them previously). I didn't do anything else along the Chiwawa River Rd. after my first hike. 2 of the 3 hikes I had not done previously, and the 3rd I'd only done once. I had a pretty good time so was fairly pleased with my choices. Shockingly I saw ZERO people on 2 of the hikes and only 1 pair of hikers on the last hike. I can't remember the last time I had that kind of solitude, even during the week. It's not like I was way out in the middle of nowhere, totally off trail. Anyway... First up was Basalt Ridge eventually connecting to Garland Ridge, between Devils Smokestack and Garland Peak. All new for me. Got a glimpse at some of the Chelan Mountains, which I realize I don't know at all. Couldn't identify any of them. Larches weren't prime but starting to turn. Trail is generally in good condition but kinda disappears in a few places.
Clark/Glacier/Buck, Little Giant Pass is probably somewhere along that intermediate ridge
Nice larchy basin directly below Garland Ridge (on the east slope)
fire smoke/haze (prescribed burns I believe), Stuart Range in the distance
east face of Garland
lone larch in pumice field, Clark and Glacier in the background
Devils Smokestack and Chelan Mountains
Chelan Mountains (peak ID anyone?)
Smokestack
It looked like Rampart and Garland both would've been pretty easy to tag from where I was. But I was feeling a bit lazy at that point and peak bagging is way, way in my rearview mirror, so I just ambled around a little bit then headed down. Several patches of larch up there.
Entiats--Maude in the center I believe
Fortress, Chiwawa and Red
Decent hike but probably not one I'll repeat any time soon.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 3:21 pm 
good thing you didn't go for devil's smokestack, man that thing's a pile

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message