Forum Index > Trip Reports > My wife's bucket list backpacking trip - White River 10/6-7/2017
Previous :: Next Topic  
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 7:05 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Thanks for that insight Z. She kept mentioning that backpacking had been such a big part of  our lives and she missed it the most.

She was tired and got in her sleeping bag early while I was out under a tree trying to eat some dinner. She stopped all alcohol when she went on chemo but knew I brought a small airline bottle of wine. All of the sudden she yells..."you are not going to finish that wine without us sharing a toast in the tent are you?" "Of course not, I'm saving most of it for when I come to bed. Be right in".
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 7:10 am 
Right on!  up.gif

I think going on trips like this is what makes life life. Good vibes to both of you.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Stefan

Stefan

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 10:50 am 
Wow.

--------------
Art is an adventure.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 11:04 am 
That's great.  Nice work you two. up.gif

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

— Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 1:03 pm 
Thank you for posting this.  Hope you get more hikes in together.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
AlpineRose

AlpineRose

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 4:34 pm 
Cozying up next to someone you love, sipping a bit of wine, listening to raindrops on the tent.  Sounds lovely to me.
Julia

Julia

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 9:22 pm 
This is so sweet!  wub.gif

--------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn

Hiking Viking
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:28 pm 
Here's to many more hikes!
Bernardo

Bernardo

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 pm 
Nice.  True hikers have the ability to overcome adversity in order to hit and enjoy the trail.  Lucky you both share that trait.
-

-

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am 
stay strong and find peaceful places. perhaps 16 hours of tent-bound memories in a snowstorm are in order?!
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 1:19 pm 
Thanks for this report. I've been thru multiple rounds of chemo, radiation (seemingly fine now) and   remember the moments of clarity that came from time to time.

Camping has many healing rituals and memories for many of us (and in Hemingway's Big Two Hearted River as well). And a campsite by a river can be a mighty fine thing.
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth

Born Yesterday
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:32 pm 
This trip report makes me happy.  I'm glad you got to spend time with your wife and hope you guys get some more trips in soon.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 9:29 am 
Sad but wonderful.  Your wife is still such a pretty lady.  This kind of story makes me excited to grow old with my own beautiful hiker wife.
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 12:09 am 
Thank you for sharing this very personal story. After reading it, I feel fortunate to be able to get out in the wilderness with good health.  Your wife is an inspiration, as are you; and I hope you two are back out there in the spring...
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 9:37 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
Your wife is an inspiration,.....

At her celebration of life last Saturday she got up and gave a very emotional and inspiring talk about how loving support from family and friends supplies the energy to keep you going strong. She has also mentioned several times how much inspiration she has gotten from the comments from this post. And thanks you all. up.gif

She goes in this morning for her fifth conventional chemo treatment. That's after she already finished two years of targeted gene chemo treatment. It made a big difference at first then stopped working. She will keep going as long as there is hope.

giving inspiring talk
giving inspiring talk
Interacting
Interacting
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > My wife's bucket list backpacking trip - White River 10/6-7/2017
Jump to:   
Search this topic: