Forum Index > Trail Talk > Avalanche Fatality in Montana
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 3:14 pm 
Quote:
On Saturday, October 7th 2017, a backcountry skier, famous climber Inge Perkins, was fully buried and killed in an avalanche while approaching Imp Peak, MT. Her ski partner, famous climber Hayden Kennedy, was only partially buried by the avalanche, searched for his buried partner, couldn’t find her, hiked out, and notified authorities. The next day, Hayden took his own life in grief.
https://snowbrains.com/2-skiers-caught-avalanche-to-montana-saturday-one-killed-survivor-took-life-grief/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 3:18 pm 
Oh my God..that is tragic and sad. RIP skiers, Rest in peace.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 4:03 pm 
Some nice tributes, but very sad all around. Be safe.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 4:31 pm 
So, so sad. This was a small avalanche as avalanches go. It seems transceivers were not involved, since the survivor hiked out for help, and the burial was located with probes.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 4:43 pm 
Wow, very sad indeed! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 9:54 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
So, so sad. This was a small avalanche as avalanches go. It seems transceivers were not involved, since the survivor hiked out for help, and the burial was located with probes.
I think Inge's beacon was in her pack and not turned on. Maybe Hayden, among the other survivor guilt he has acumulated in the last few years, felt he was at fault for her not turning on the beacon.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 6:15 am 
Damn. That is one of the saddest stories I've read. I've been following Hayden's climbing for some time - he was the real deal - all round climber living the life (including nice guy). His father is Michael, one of the greats from my generation, and longtime editor of Climbing and now Alpinist magazines. Condolences to family and friends. RIP

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:10 am 
Schenk wrote:
Oh my God..that is tragic and sad. RIP skiers, Rest in peace.
Indeed.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 8:03 am 
It's too bad he didn't have somebody around him that could have stopped him from killing himself until he was able to be more rational. A tragic accident is bad enough, but a suicide too?

gb

gb
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 am 
Oh, that is really a devastatingly sad story.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 pm 
Worst one I've heard - I totally agree with his thoughts on trying to balance the light and dark sides of alpine living. As my life gets longer, so does my list of close folks who died with their boots on. I don't know what to make of it either.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 1:46 pm 
Sad story.

Art is an adventure.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 8:06 am 
rbuzby wrote:
It's too bad he didn't have somebody around him that could have stopped him from killing himself until he was able to be more rational.
This is what makes this tragedy so intensely sad. Outside of a sexual relationship climbing offers some of the most intimate moments between people. Our lives depend on each other when on belay. But just because your partner is at home and off-belay doesn't mean he/she doesn't need your occasional help. The most dangerous slope Hayden Kennedy was on during his lifetime was the one he encountered after the death of the woman he loved. He was possibly searching for handholds that he could rely on to establish a connection to the future. It is important for all of us to help others during times of intense transition in their lives. Take a moment to help form a sense of safety for those who are wrapped in grief and assist those is a whirlwind of sadness. Fear of embarrassment might dissuade us from asking others if they are having thoughts of suicide but don't avoid the question. Suicide should not a blind spot on the radar screen. As long as people have emotions and feel as if they are at rope's end that tragic option needs to be addressed by family and friends. We are all "first responders" with meeting this call.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 9:45 am 
A terribly sad human story. I can totally imagine thoughts tending toward suicide after what he went through. I'm pretty sure many people would have similar thoughts. May they both be at peace.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 am 
pula58 wrote:
I can totally imagine thoughts tending toward suicide after what he went through.
I do not wish to diminish the personal loss and sorrow that he experienced following the death of his partner. I just want to say something about suicide. Rarely does one incident , even as tragic as this one, cause an otherwise stable person to kill themselves. Something like this is simply the end of a struggle and thus only serves as a precipitating event. It is almost always a long process going from suicidal thoughts to actually attempting suicide. Suicide is like the exposed tip of the iceberg, just the part we notice. I only mention this because of having close friends and relatives take their own life. I hope the friends and family of these two can find peace and comfort to ease their grief. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."