Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hurricane Ophelia heading for Ireland tomorrow.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Oct 14, 2017 11:20 pm 
This Atlantic hurricane is a rare one. Interesting article in the Weather Underground. It's currently a Category 3. Quote: "To call Ophelia unusual would be an understatement. For one thing, it became a major hurricane at longitude 26.6°W, further east than any other formation of a Category 3 in the Atlantic. The former record-holder was Frances (1980), which became a Category 3 at 12.8°N, 29.8°W. Ophelia’s achievement is even more impressive when you consider its latitude: 34.8°N. In data going back to 1851, no other major hurricane is known to have formed anywhere close to as far northeast as Ophelia. The runner-up at Ophelia’s latitude range, Michael (2012), developed some 900 miles further west (see Figure 2 below). Ophelia also extends this year’s count of major Atlantic hurricanes to six, a tally last achieved in 2004. Only two years have notched seven major Atlantic hurricanes: 1961 and 2005." The article goes on to explain why a hurricane has formed under the current conditions. Quote: "Regardless of whether it is still classified as a hurricane or not, Ophelia is predicted to approach Ireland on Monday with top winds somewhere near hurricane strength, plus an expanding field of gale-force winds." Here's an article in the Irish Times with some excellent interactive graphics showing wind flow. The I.T. seems a bit calmer about the whole thing. Quote: "The strongest effects expected to be felt from Hurricane Ophelia will be late on Monday off Kerry and then Galway, according to Met Éireann. However, at the same time, the forecasting service is downplaying suggestions that the storm could become the strongest post-tropical storm to hit Ireland in recent years. For Saturday and Sunday, most of Ireland is expected to experience unseasonally high temperatures but with some heavy rain along the western seaboard – a prelude to the arrival of what will actually be the tail end of Ophelia. “The hurricane is expected to go up the west coast and along the Kerry coast and then in over Galway Bay, up though Connemara and then into Scotland. It loses status all the time so by the time it gets to Scotland – it’s just a wet and windy depression,” according to a spokesperson for Met Éireann." ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am 
Top o'the mornin govnur.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 3:59 pm 
Love that song! Ophelia Oops, sorry, wrong thread. suuure.gif In any case, a reminder for youngsters to watch The Last Waltz, one of the best concert movies ever. peace.gif ...And best to a friend or two in Ireland.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 5:05 pm 
Seems to be weakening into a Tropical Storm. ~z

ree

ree
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 5:33 pm 
I hope Jeremy Irons' cool rehabbed castle will fare ok. Wow, what a spread! I really don't think of Ireland when I think of hurricanes. Maybe Texas, Florida, or Louisiana.... Interesting tho, zephyr.

Chico

Chico
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 8:24 pm 
Maybe they should have named the thing "Colleen".

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 11:34 am 
Little bit of storm surge footage here. ~z