Forum Index > Trip Reports > Never Given Much Thought 10-15-2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 pm 
My wife & myself have kayaked this section of the Sammamish River Slough dozens of times. We enjoy the sections between Marymoor Park & Woodinville. The sections below around Bothell & Kenmore have too many river front properties for our liking. Feels a little more urban down that way and somewhat more nature preserve / reserve up river. Like I said, I've never given much thought about writing a trip report about kayaking the Sammamish Slough, but we enjoy it so much I thought I'd share and try to inspire more people to give it a try. It's about 14 miles one way. You can't actually kayak from lake Sammamish to Lake Washington without a short porter at the Marymoor Dog Park. Speaking of the dog park. Its on a portion of the Sammamish River and dogs are allowed to access it during non salmon spawning months. I've pulled out as many as 40 plus tennis balls and other dog fetch balls from the river in one trip. I could have easily doubled that of I wanted to. Today I could have retrieved at least 20. We rarely see anybody else on the water. Today, only one other kayaker in 8 1/2 miles. Often, it's nobody. Parking is a breeze. Launching the kayaks under the bridge at 60 acres Soccer Fields and best of all no parking fees or passes required. It's a quick, no hassle trip for us. Constantly entertained by the awesome reflections and wildlife. Deer Coyotes King Fishers Blue Heron River Otters Beaver Muskrats Turtles Snakes Osprey Bald Eagles All types of ducks and geese Depending on the time of year, surrounded by Chinook Salmon making their way up to the Issaquah Creek & Salmon Hatchery. It's a great workout and depending on our moods, we decide at the launch site if we want to paddle upstream first, float back and enjoy our beers or head downstream, paddle against the current on our way back and pull over to the bank and take a beer break. Regardless, it's the only tough decision wink.gif we have to make. If you live near by, or not, go give it a try.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 8:22 pm 
I run on the Sammamish path occasionally when in the area and have wondered if the river is floated very much. Your experience suggests the answer is "not often." That looks like a splendid route close-in to suburbia. Maybe due to it being class 1 deters the adventurous folks. Does it ever get a bit more rapidly flowing? Just curious. Toughest decision: when to take the beer break. Like it!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Does it ever get a bit more rapidly flowing? Just curious.
Current is quite a bit stronger during the rainy season, although still pretty easy to paddle against. Level of the river raises much more. White water? No. Nothing the entire 14 mile distance between the lakes. Lake Washington ( downstream ) elevation is 16' and Lake Sammamish ( upstream ) is 30'

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 8:57 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Very beautiful day to be down on the slough. So calm, peaceful and untrammeled. Photos are terrific. These scenes remind me of Wind in the Willows. Like here and here. ~z

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:02 pm 
zephyr wrote:
These scenes remind me of Wind in the Willows.
One of my favorite books as a child. " There's nothing so fine as messing around in boats!" Ratty said. Or something like that. (been a while.) Thanks for the reminder, zephyr, and for the lovely calming pictures, bootpathguy. smile.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:17 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Like here and here. ~z .
Ah yes! I forgot about the Dragonflies and Damselflies. Wow! Thick with them at the height of summer. So colorful and beautiful

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:18 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, zephyr, and for the lovely calming pictures, bootpathguy. smile.gif
Of course! My pleasure wink.gif up.gif

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:39 pm 
You are a very good photographer. I always enjoy your TRs.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:41 pm 
Zephyr, I love the wind in the willows books!

neek

neek
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:47 pm 
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I've paddled partway up from the north end of Lake Wa (putting in at Matthews Beach). If you see a guy towing a kayak on a bike it might be me.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 1:43 am 
Boot, Excellent photos! Kayaks must be better photo platforms than my canoe cuz I'm always getting wind or current cocked for camera or binos! Where did that otter go???!!! Many flatwater routes are described in the Vern Huser flatwater "bible" published by the Mountaineers. With a good tide chart and some practice I've been able to explore much of the Lower Snohomish River and its sloughs all the way up to Snohomish and like you guys, paddle craft make the best wildlife viewing. Recently, the Tulalip tribes and City of Marysviille have completed the Qwoolwoot (?) dike breach and in a high tide you can paddle up Ebey Slough into the new estuary. From the comfort of your canoe and a pair of binos, you can watch Sunday football on the subdivision's many big screen TV's. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I have heard duck hunter shotguns down in the valley recently so boaters should be respectful of multi-use areas. Tom

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 4:27 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
You are a very good photographer. I always enjoy your TRs.
Thank you!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 4:33 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Boot, Excellent photos! Kayaks must be better photo platforms than my canoe cuz I'm always getting wind or current cocked for camera or binos! Where did that otter go???!!!
Indeed. Experience that from time to time. Less surface area for the wind to catch in the kayaks opposed to your canoe. Yep, otters don't stay still for very long. I love it when they "spy hop" to check our locations while they are diving for fish, crayfish and fresh water clams and mussels

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 7:40 am 
It has been a few years since I floated the Sammamish. The upper stretch near Marymoor used to be really boring because it was dredged into a big ditch, but I see the vegetation has made it more interesting now. Great to see re-introduced native pond turtles!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 9:20 am 
Very soothing photos to still your mind on a hectic day. up.gif Also, great suggestion for an outing during the upcoming winter season.