Forum Index > Gear Talk > Best Point and Shoot Waterproof Camera?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostSun Jul 27, 2014 9:41 pm 
I think it's time to add a waterproof camera to the mix so I don't have to stress on rainy days about my regular ones (and shooting through a waterproof bag isn't my preference). Any suggestions? I have a strong preference for one that uses SD memory so I can use the same memory cards across all my cameras. Decent image stabilization, zoom and something that is reasonable lightweight would be the next things I can think of that I'd care about. That said, I haven't researched waterpoof models so I'm not sure if there are other things specific to waterproof models that I should be thinking about. Note that my waterproof need isn't to be able to take it X meters under water - just not ruin it hiking in the rain. Input appreciated. smile.gif Go!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 27, 2014 9:48 pm 
I gotta Fuji one at Costco for $150 w/50 off. It came with an 8 G SD card case etc. seems to work well and tougher than a phone. It has wi-fi and the software is a bit of a kludge but works.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 3:22 pm 
Nikon AWS-100 has been working well for me. I've had it two seasons and have successfully used in while snorkeling. Which is more than I can say about the Panasonic camera I had before, which was great for kayaking and skiing, but failed almost immediately when I tried snorkeling. The other thing I disliked about the Panasonic was that after installing a firmware update it refused to boot up when using 3rd party batteries, but had worked fine with them previously. So Nikon up.gif Panasonic huh.gif

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Sep 22, 2014 5:54 pm 
sh, curious if you ever got a waterproof camera and if so, which one? Just this week, I decided to buy a digital compact point and shoot. Budget from $80 - $250, the cheaper the better for something that was "easy to use" and took ok pictures. Starting from a knowledge base of zero, this research was the most frustrating I've ever done. There is just too much choice. Adding to the complexity, models change every year. In fact, some models listed as this year's are already "obsolete". The more expensive models had things I wasn't interested in like GPS or WiFi, or bells and whistles I didn't even understand. Reviews found on the web didn't produce clear winners or were already obsolete. My brain began turning to mush. I ended up ordering a waterproof Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS25 from bhphoto for $137.99, plus SD card and extra battery (I had learned something during my research). I figured as long as I was getting one of these gizmos, I'd like the option of taking it hiking and backpacking. I didn't want equipment I'd have to treat like fine china. Never plan to take it snorkeling. More camera manufacturers seem to be taking an interest in "rugged" or "tough" point and shoots, and choices in the category seem to be growing. Backpacker magazine has given the Olympus TG1-iHS, then subsequently the TG2 cameras good reviews. Latest version is TG3. More features than I want and above my price range. The Fujifilm Finepix XP70 is available locally at $170 and was one I considered. fwiw, this Waterproof camera review discussed a lot of point and shoot models, although you have to drill into each review to see exactly what model is being discussed. If you've got some coin, this review sounds promising: Nikon 1 AW1

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 12:10 pm 
SusanHikes wrote:
Note that my waterproof need isn't to be able to take it X meters under water - just not ruin it hiking in the rain.
Have you previously ruined camera's hiking in the rain?

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 10:23 pm 
Met a guy with a Sony (SureShot?) that was waterproof, shockproof, and budgetproof ($300+). I wrecked a camera in the desert by leaving it near the ground and not in a plastic bag -- dust got blown into it -- much worse than water. I hesitate to buy an expensive camera; I figure it'll get lost, stolen, damaged, or obsolete. I have a Canon A590 that stubbornly refuses die despite my determined attempts to kill it. I've never protected it carefully. Suggestion: choose several options and look on CL.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Sep 24, 2014 6:14 am 
after i bought my canon s500, which was almost $400 at that time, i bit the bullet and found a canon wp-dc800 underwater dive case for it on ebay for under $100 smile.gif it's still alive and well, and the dive case cushions the camera very well if you drop it 10 feet onto a hard surface... nowdays there are probably a lot of more compact and lightweight solutions but probably not as durable..

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Sep 24, 2014 10:43 pm 
wolffie wrote:
I hesitate to buy an expensive camera; I figure it'll get lost, stolen, damaged, or obsolete. I have a Canon A590 that stubbornly refuses die despite my determined attempts to kill it. I've never protected it carefully.
Makes sense but I need a bigger zoom than is on most of the smaller/cheaper point and shoots. That means at least something in the $300 - $400 range. I did accidentally let my $400 camera fall off McClellan Butte. Other than that my cameras have survived the weather and any other accidental damage.

Franco

Franco
PostThu Sep 25, 2014 2:46 pm 
Take a look at this report : http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2491269399/2014-waterproof-camera-roundup Consider the Pana TS5 too.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 3:31 am 
Comrades, I am wondering about a small, point and shoot waterproof camera?? NWHikers research from 2014 probs. out of date. Small enough to hang off whitewater PFD. Must be immersible as I paddle IK and fall in rather frequently! (: (: Easy to use and upload pics because I am computer moron. Price not as important as reliability and decent photos. PFD leash will come after purchase but some sort of strap or cord with bombproof anchor needed as well to prevent loss in case of mishap. Tom

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 10:04 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Comrades, I am wondering about a small, point and shoot waterproof camera?? NWHikers research from 2014 probs. out of date. Small enough to hang off whitewater PFD. Must be immersible as I paddle IK and fall in rather frequently! (: (: Easy to use and upload pics because I am computer moron. Price not as important as reliability and decent photos. PFD leash will come after purchase but some sort of strap or cord with bombproof anchor needed as well to prevent loss in case of mishap. Tom
Olympus TG series is generally the most bomb proof with reasonable image quality camera out there.

friluftsliv
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm 
A partial list of options... Most capable waterproof camera is likely the Niken 1 AW1. Also Nikon Coolpix AW130 or S33 Olympus Point and Shoot "Tough Cameras" TG-4, TG-870 Canon D30 Panasonic DMC-TS30 SeaLife makes dedicated diving cameras that are good to 200 feet. Gopro has some waterproof "cameras" as well. Probably need to consider which ones you could operate with Neoprene Gloves on as well. Waterproof with a bunch of small buttons, and exposure controls may not be the easiest to operate while holding on to your paddle with one hand and trying to get a shot off.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 am 
InFlight, Thanks much for the list. Exactly what Santa needs. I forgot about the glove problem as I don't wear pogies. Tom

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 am 
Interesting review on the Nikon 1AW1 A bit scary to have an $800 camera that may or may not actually be waterproof. Otherwise seems to be a very nice camera.

friluftsliv
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 am 
I often mount a camera on the front of my car to take "road cam" videos. The old Drift camera I used for years was failing so I looked for a replacement. I think GoPro is overpriced for what you get. I ended up choosing the Fujifilm FinePix XP90 and I'm happy with the price/performance balance. I paid $130 for a "like new" camera from a third-party seller on Amazon and it was that -- I don't think the camera had ever been used and all packaging and documents looked new. There is a newer model but it's nearly identical and the XP90 is cheaper now. It's had no trouble being in the rain all day, but I've never submersed it. This is a very simple camera with minimal controls on the outside. The one negative is that the battery is small and will only take about 25 minutes of continuous video. But generic extra batteries are not expensive and because they're small it's not a problem to keep them in the camera case pocket. One nice feature is that the battery and SD card are accessible on the side and easy to access while the camera is mounted. My main camera's battery/SD card access door is blocked when mounted.