Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mad River - Cougar Mtn. - Lost Lake Loop (Plain)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 1:19 pm 
Access : Chiwawa River Rd. > FR 6106 > Maverick Saddle Map GTM - Plain Stats : 16.5 mi, 4400' r/t We had talked about a day hike loop from Maverick saddle via the Mad River trail looping into Two Little lakes, possibly doing Kelly Mountain , then arcing back to Mad lake and out along with some variations, but the 20 plus miles and gain seemed a bridge to far in the short day light available so we settled on this loop which ate up most of the day with the travel time added in. In hindsight it may have been easier than the trip we did, but I can't complain as we had some good views, plenty of scattered meadows, nice streams, easy stream crossings, sunshine and 30 - 60 degree temps, and it was just fantastic hiking in the mid week solitude of the woods with Steve as usual. The weather front that was predicted moved in ahead of time, but we had a few drops of precip at most, it did darken some of the Western mountain views though. We kept a descent pace going on both very good and very bad trail and enjoyed a lot of terrain for our efforts. Good Stuff. up.gif
Mad River - Cougar Mountain - Lost Lake Loop
Mad River - Cougar Mountain - Lost Lake Loop
Howard and Mastiff across the foggy valley.
Howard and Mastiff across the foggy valley.
Early morning color on Big Jim.
Early morning color on Big Jim.
Mad River trail.
Mad River trail.
The Jimmy Creek had than "Woodsy" feel until the steep upper end then it was a rutted, rocky mess to Cougar summit.
The Jimmy Creek had than "Woodsy" feel until the steep upper end then it was a rutted, rocky mess to Cougar summit.
Jimmy Creek
Jimmy Creek
Big C
Big C
Duncan Hill to Cardinal.
Duncan Hill to Cardinal.
Peaks off the North Fork Entiat.
Peaks off the North Fork Entiat.
Signal Peak on Tyee Rdge from Cougar Mountain.
Signal Peak on Tyee Rdge from Cougar Mountain.
Changing weather moving in over the mountains.
Changing weather moving in over the mountains.
Looking North from Cougar Mountain summit.
Looking North from Cougar Mountain summit.
Cougar Meadow with Cougar Mountain above.
Cougar Meadow with Cougar Mountain above.
Cougar Meadow
Cougar Meadow
Lower Whistling Pig Meadow
Lower Whistling Pig Meadow
Mad River
Mad River
Blue Creek Meadow
Blue Creek Meadow
Lost Lake
Lost Lake
Dirtyface Ridge - Peak
Dirtyface Ridge - Peak

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:02 pm 
So nice to see all that unburned forest over there. Those meadows look inviting.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 pm 
RichP wrote:
So nice to see all that unburned forest over there. Those meadows look inviting.
I'm thinking the late Spring wildflowers have to be pretty impressive up there.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:37 pm 
Exploring some of the trails along the Mad River has been way on my back burner for years. Thanks for the nice TR, hopefully I'll finally get out there.

cartman

cartman
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 pm 
Rob, I was just up there this weekend for an overnight soloing two of the Signal Peaks and Ghost Tree Hill via the 1423 trail from the Entiat side, and was thinking while I was up there that I should have pinged you to join me. BTW, I tried to get to Cougar from Ghost Tree 6522 and the only trail I found was the one that crosses the N side of the peak toward Two Little Lakes; the trail around the east side I never found going in or out, though a dirt biker assured me it exists. By your map, you took this trail to the junction with the trail going to Two Little Lakes. Did you take the dotted line trail shown on Green Trails, or the "V" that shows as a solid line on GT north of Cougar? No water on any of my routes; snow was my only water source. In retrospect, I would have saved this trip for another time and come up from the west--this area has almost no larches. My other option was to go up the Pugh Ridge Trail and investigate the area N of Pyramid, which is what I would have done knowing what I know now.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 3:04 pm 
Very nice! I have considered that area a few times, but reports of the road to the Maverick Saddle are not very common (at least I couldn't find much at the time). I suppose the road is fine condition given that you didn't call anything out?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 4:21 pm 
I have always liked that area since I started hiking up there as a teenager. In fact Mad lake was where I was headed on my fateful trip from the Chikamin Tie trail early this summer. Nice TR. up.gif
mbravenboer wrote:
Very nice! I have considered that area a few times, but reports of the road to the Maverick Saddle are not very common (at least I couldn't find much at the time). I suppose the road is fine condition given that you didn't call anything out?
My son-in-law did that Plain 100 trail run last month that started at Maverick Saddle. He said there is absolutely nothing wrong with the road to that TH. In fact he said there were some horse trailers down there.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 4:58 pm 
Not what you want to hear but in my opinion fire needs to go through those meadows and kill the young seedlings. Looks like they will be filled in within a few years otherwise.

cartman

cartman
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 5:32 pm 
Chico wrote:
Not what you want to hear but in my opinion fire needs to go through those meadows and kill the young seedlings.
Having been in the Klone/Kelly area and now this area, that may well be true. The whole way up Trail 1423 I noticed there would be no way to go off-trail due to the forest crowded with small trees with lots of debris on the forest floor. Plus the upper trails have a lot of downed timber left behind by irresponsible logging. Probably fire is going to happen here soon, with all of the small junky trees and fuel on the ground.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:08 am 
Cartman the Tyee Ridge trail 1415 is a good trail coming all the way from the TH below Tyee Peak / Ridge at the end of FR 5713 which is accessed from FR 5700. The Tyee Ridge trail 1415 goes West all the way to the Mad River trail 1409.1, at the jct when we came down partially side hilling off trail down to trail 1418 we hit the jct with the Tyee Ridge trail and followed it West (good condition) around Cougar Meadow and to the Mad River jct. from Cougar. Below is a picture of the trail signs at the jct. of the Tyee Ridge trail 1415 and 1418.
Sign Post at Jct. of 1418 and 1415
Sign Post at Jct. of 1418 and 1415

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 am 
mbravenboer wrote:
We took FR 6101 off Chiwawa River Rd. the entire way to Maverick saddle. The section of the road beyond Deer camp is very narrow in sections and exposed off the edge and would require backing up in some sections if you encountered another vehicle which could be tricky. The best route may be FR 5200 coming across the top by Sugarloaf Peak. The TH is not accessible via vehicle due to a slide on the road so a very open, but non signed parking area is where you have to park walking the road maybe .25 miles to the old signed TH.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:21 am 
Chico wrote:
Not what you want to hear but in my opinion fire needs to go through those meadows and kill the young seedlings. Looks like they will be filled in within a few years otherwise.
Steve was up there decades ago and the area was open with views and much larger meadows, I was up there 10 -12 years ago and the trails were much better for hiking with the Cougar Mountain summit being all most entirely open 360 degrees. There are views there now but the top is filling in. There was plenty of water the entire way for us.