Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Gord Downie of Tragedly Hip passes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 3:43 pm 
RIP for all 🇨🇦 and many Americans sometimes the good die young

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 7:44 pm 
I never really knew of his work and music until today while driving and catching a bit of an NPR interview of a writer who attended his last concert and described the emotions and energy of the crowd there while his band and he played their last set. Prime Minister Trudeau was in the audience directly across from her. They televized this event and a third of Canada tuned in to see it. He sounded like a truly remarkable man. ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 pm 
This song from their album Road Apples is called Fiddler's Green and was written in tribute to his nephew who passed away before the album was released. It has a great sound and cadence. Very Appalachian sound to my ears. ~z
Note: I looked up Fiddler's Green--very interesting: Fiddler's Green is a legendary supposed afterlife, where there is perpetual mirth, a fiddle that never stops playing, and dancers who never tire. In 19th-century maritime folklore it was a kind of afterlife for sailors who have served at least 50 years at sea.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 pm 
I had heard a few lines of this song on the radio today and tonight I found it on YouTube. This video is a little strange and the lyrics are a bit odd, but the sound is powerful and moving. Gordie's voice is beautiful in this one. The lyrics are on this YouTube page. ~z

gb

gb
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 9:02 am 
Sad to hear, I had one of their CD's, Phantom Power. RIP, sounds like he was a hero to Canadians.

trestle

trestle
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 5:35 am 
Zephyr, for never knowing their music, you certainly found two of their best; or at least two of my favorites. You'll probably also enjoy Ahead By a Century and Scared and who can deny the imagery of Nautical Disaster. Easily one of my favorite bands and lyricist. They were just as admirable for their outstanding humanity and citizenship. May Gordon rest in peace, we're all just a little better because of him.
In case you thought they were always melancholy. And who doesn't give a f### about hockey?

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 10:33 am 
trestle wrote:
Zephyr, for never knowing their music, you certainly found two of their best; or at least two of my favorites.
Thank you. Well I listened to quite a few and those really stood out for me. Thanks for putting up more songs. I will check these out. ~z

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 10:26 am 
I caught them in a club years ago in Vancouver when we where there for a few days. New Orleans is Sinking one song that I clearly remember.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau