Forum Index > Trip Reports > Maiden voyage(s) of the packraft
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jdk610

jdk610
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 5:18 pm 
A few weeks ago (coincidentally just before breaking my ankle) I finally bit the bullet and bought an Alpacka packraft. I guess I should back up. The first thing I did was borrow a Klymit LiteWater Dinghy (LWD) from a friend earlier in the summer. The LWD seemed like a great option - inexpensive, lightweight, and relatively durable. Unfortunately the LWD wasn't quite substantial enough for some of the trips I'm considering. Based on my limited experience, it seems great if you want to take a boat to alpine lakes and float around in the summer, but I can't imagine using it for much more than that.
Klymit Litewater Dinghy
Klymit Litewater Dinghy
After realizing that the LWD wasn't gonna cut it, I accepted the fact that I was going to have to invest in an Alpacka. I spent about a month looking for a used one, but no luck - I think this is partly because I'm under 5'8 and need a size small. Most of the used boats out there are size medium or large. In mid-September, I finally put in an order for a new Alpacka, bright and shiny blue, with a whitewater deck and cargo fly. I got an Astral V-8 women's PFD, and an Aqua Bound 4-piece posi-lock Manta Ray carbon paddle (I would've bought a Werner because I like to support local businesses, but I was able to get a significantly better deal on the Aqua Bound).
New whip
New whip
The Alpacka arrived literally two days after breaking my ankle - the timing couldn't have been better. At that point my ankle was as swollen and painful as it was going to get, and my morale was at an all-time low. The boat gave me a much-needed boost, with the promise of adventuring despite being unable to bike or run. As soon as the swelling went down I took the boat out for its maiden voyage, which really just means I took it down to Lake Washington, figured out how to inflate it (youtube videos are my friend), and then took it out for a quick paddle. You inflate it using a stuff sack, which sounds tedious but is a surprisingly efficient means of inflation, and only takes about 10-15 minutes once you know what you're doing. (Don't ask me how long it took me the first time.) I definitely geeked out a bit on how it basically goes from a compact roll of plastic to a fully functioning watercraft in less than 15 minutes.
The raft in its stuff sack. Boot for scale.
The raft in its stuff sack. Boot for scale.
Unrolled
Unrolled
Most of the inflating is done with the bright orange bag
Most of the inflating is done with the bright orange bag
You finish inflating with your mouth. Typically only takes a few quick breaths. And then: Tada!
You finish inflating with your mouth. Typically only takes a few quick breaths. And then: Tada!
Paddling around Lake WA was fun, but I was craving more trees and mountains, so I decided to head out to Cooper Lake. I knew Cooper was accessible by car, and I'd witnessed a gorgeous sunrise the last time I was there.
Cooper Lake, Nov 2016
Cooper Lake, Nov 2016
The lighting at Cooper Lake wasn't as spectacular as it was last November, but it was still a beautiful calm morning on the lake. I put in at the boat launch, navigating the uneven terrain down to the water very carefully and slowly, plopping myself in my raft, and then scootching into water. I paddled the length of the lake, taking my time and pics as I went. It wasn't quite as good as a long day spent moving through the wilderness, but it should get me through the next couple weeks of boot purgatory.
Just me and the fish
Just me and the fish
The sun made a brief appearance
The sun made a brief appearance
Boot in a bag in a boat. It was cramped with the boot inside the boat, so I took it out occasionally for a stretch.
Boot in a bag in a boat. It was cramped with the boot inside the boat, so I took it out occasionally for a stretch.
Exploring the north end of Cooper Lake (inaccessible by trail)
Exploring the north end of Cooper Lake (inaccessible by trail)
Forest above, forest below
Lemah Peaks and Chimney Rocks
Lemah Peaks and Chimney Rocks
Glassy
Glassy
Vine maple
Vine maple
Cle Elum river on my way out
Cle Elum river on my way out
Jolly Mountain fire still burning
Jolly Mountain fire still burning
As for the Alpacka, so far so good! With the whitewater deck and spray skirt I stayed warm and dry even with temps in the mid-30s at Cooper Lake, and I've taken it for a couple other flatwater paddles and continue to have fun. Next up: get on some moving water and see how it handles in a current.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 7:44 pm 
jdk610 wrote:
Vine maple
Vine maple
Very Nice! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm 
up.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 9:33 pm 
It looks like you are going to have a lot of fun with that! Triciaann and I ran into a couple of crazy beer-drinking Eastern European guys hauling somewhat similar watercraft up Tunnel Creek to Trap Lake last year. They paddled across the lake to a fishing spot and spent the day catching trout and cooking them up, and oh, drinking more beer. They claimed to have used their pack rafts in class four rapids the previous week!

nivaunrahne

nivaunrahne
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 3:06 pm 
Nice! Looks like you ordered one exactly like me and my wife did. She got blue and I got a green one. They are incredible fun! We have a lot of plans for them next spring and even this winter if conditions are right. It will be fun to see where your take Alpacka.

jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 4:24 am 
timtodd, I look forward to reading your TRs as well! And I'm looking for paddling partners, if you and your wife ever want company. smile.gif

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 5:53 am 
I use my Alpacka quite a bit but most of my hikes are off trail excursions. With mine I am able to get into areas where everyday hikers can't. You will enjoy your raft. Think about getting the pack secure attachment for the front of the raft if you are a little more adventurous and interested in multi day uses.

jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 5:59 am 
timberghost, I got the cargo fly, so I can put my gear inside the tubes for long floats.

nivaunrahne

nivaunrahne
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 8:39 am 
I'll keep you in mind for some adventures. smile.gif I am still quite new and a little afraid of water lol.gif but facing fear head on. We have a couple Salsa Mukluk fatbikes we want to bikepack with and take our Alpacka's. Our retirement plan. lol.gif

jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 am 
Awesome!! I'll be spending a lot of time on my bike and boat this winter, until the broken leg heals. I used to be a raft guide. Just for one summer, and it was a long time ago. In short, I know just enough to get into trouble. smile.gif

Wilder
Paddle Everything

Wilder
Paddle Everything
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 10:25 pm 
Super cool! Been wanting to get one of those myself!